2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a 130 mile, one way, business trip with a friend of mine the other day. He and I ended up with questions on why the Nav system kept telling me to exit the freeway and take a two lane road many, many miles from our destination. The best we could come up with was the Nav picked the shortest roads and not the fastest. Well, his portable unit for his car has a setting that allows you to pick the fastest direction or the shortest direction. I have looked everywhere and can not find such a setting in the pacifica NAV system. Any ideas on how to get the "nice lady" in my Nav to stop attempting to run me off the road I want to use?
:frown2:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Took a 130 mile, one way, business trip with a friend of mine the other day. He and I ended up with questions on why the Nav system kept telling me to exit the freeway and take a two lane road many, many miles from our destination. The best we could come up with was the Nav picked the shortest roads and not the fastest. Well, his portable unit for his car has a setting that allows you to pick the fastest direction or the shortest direction. I have looked everywhere and can not find such a setting in the pacifica NAV system. Any ideas on how to get the "nice lady" in my Nav to stop attempting to run me off the road I want to use?
I may have a different navigation system in my 2017 Pacifica than yours, but if I go to the navigation settings, I can choose things to avoid (or not avoid).

Push the start button without the brake to be in the "Run" position if you want to adjust the settings without the engine running in the garage.
Push the Navigation app on the touchscreen.
Go to Settings, Guidance, Avoid.
Check the things you want to avoid. If you check avoid Expressways, it may try to avoid Freeways.

Once I had checked avoid expressways and the navigation wanted me to get off the freeway and take a less desirable road. I knew the area and was just trying out the navigation, so I knew something wasn't right. I was trying to avoid a toll which some expressways have, but the navigation seemed to think an expressway and a freeway were the same. I unchecked avoid expressways and it does better at keeping me on the freeway.

I don't have a shortest vs fastest route choice that I know of. I think the assumption is the fastest route, but the navigation doesn't have traffic monitoring like the Android Auto app (with a cell phone) has if you are using that with your 2018 Pacifica.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.....I don't have a shortest vs fastest route choice that I know of. I think the assumption is the fastest route, but the navigation doesn't have traffic monitoring like the Android Auto app (with a cell phone) has if you are using that with your 2018 Pacifica.
Yours reads like they are comparable. I don't use the Android app. Guess I will have to keep a road map handy when ever I get into an area I do not ever travel in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I experienced the same problem when I first used the Pacifica's NAV system. Unlike other systems I've used, the choice for shortest or fastest route is only available when the system is actually navigating. I don't recall how exactly to get to the options menu but I think you will find it on the screen once you are in navigation mode. Once set, (shortest or fastest) the system retains that setting until changed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Program your destination. Assuming you are now on the map screen, click "Menu" to get back to main NAV screen. Select the "Current Route" tab on the upper right and then elect "Alternatives." That should get you to the screen from which you can select Fast, Short or Eco.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Program your destination. Assuming you are now on the map screen, click "Menu" to get back to main NAV screen. Select the "Current Route" tab on the upper right and then elect "Alternatives." That should get you to the screen from which you can select Fast, Short or Eco.

Awesome. Perfect answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I may have a different navigation system in my 2017 Pacifica than yours, but if I go to the navigation settings, I can choose things to avoid (or not avoid).

Push the start button without the brake to be in the "Run" position if you want to adjust the settings without the engine running in the garage.
Push the Navigation app on the touchscreen.
Go to Settings, Guidance, Avoid.
Check the things you want to avoid. If you check avoid Expressways, it may try to avoid Freeways.

Once I had checked avoid expressways and the navigation wanted me to get off the freeway and take a less desirable road. I knew the area and was just trying out the navigation, so I knew something wasn't right. I was trying to avoid a toll which some expressways have, but the navigation seemed to think an expressway and a freeway were the same. I unchecked avoid expressways and it does better at keeping me on the freeway.
Are you able to follow these same steps with the engine running?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Are you able to follow these same steps with the engine running?
I think so. You just can't type in an address while driving. Voice recognition is supposed to be able to be used, but I've had mixed results with my 2017 recognizing city names. I should probably take the van in about it, but I haven't. The 2018+ may have an improved navigation program. The graphics were better on the 2018 photos posted, so maybe the newer head unit has an updated navigation.

Sometimes it is just easier to check things on the navigation in the garage without the engine running. I don't think ACC will let you do anything with the navigation or touchscreen settings.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I think so. You just can't type in an address while driving. Voice recognition is supposed to be able to be used, but I've had mixed results with my 2017 recognizing city names. I should probably take the van in about it, but I haven't. The 2018+ may have an improved navigation program. The graphics were better on the 2018 photos posted, so maybe the newer head unit has an updated navigation.

Sometimes it is just easier to check things on the navigation in the garage without the engine running. I don't think ACC will let you do anything with the navigation or touchscreen settings.
I had the same experience while trying to enter map information while moving. Actually wife was trying to type in info but it wasn't allowing, I tried the voice feature but to no avail (however hard I yell). The only way I could enter destination while on the move was for wife to use my phone UConnect app (while the subscription was active) and that too was only 50% effective at that time. When parked, the voice commands work wonderfully. I feel that the microphone gets confused with the ANC system while on the move.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just tried what PacificaManFan stated in my garage on ACC and it worked GREAT.
Thanks.
I just spent 3 hours in my garage with my new truck playing with all the stuff. That Ford NAV allowed shortest, fastest, etc. in the main set up. Thought is must be there somewhere in the Pacifica.
As the old story goes, You just have to be smarter than the machine.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a question, what version of Navigation is loaded on your system? I have a 2017 Pacifica Limited and my nav screens look nothing like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just ran Into this same problem.
After you put in your address and touch go and the map comes up. Touch Menu in the low left corner. Then touch Current Route Then touch Alternatives. It will give you Fast, Short and Eco. Each route will show in a different color so you can choose the route you want.
This was done in a 2019 Limited. I hear that some are different.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yup its the version with Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got my PAC Limited, headed on a road trip to TX. Until I read your post, I was unaware of the fast, short, eco settings that will come in handy. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts