2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towing Newbie here - Apparently I need 7-pin connector and brake as well for a RV trailer. Have a 2018 PHEW. Where do I start?

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
347 Posts
Have a 2018 PHEW. Where do I start?
If you have a hybrid, I would start by checking your owner's manual. I believe towing is not recommended with the hybrid models. From the owners manual.

Others here may argue this statement from the manufacturer. But if you were to have drive train issues later on, you may not get any coverage under warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
361 Posts
Is it true the Hybrid has a Continuously Variable Transmission? That might explain the towing restriction in the manual.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
347 Posts
The Hybrid does have a form of CVT. It uses EVT....Electronically Variable Transmission. Not sure why towing the restriction on the Hybrids.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Hybrid does have a form of CVT. It uses EVT....Electronically Variable Transmission. Not sure why towing the restriction on the Hybrids.
The reason is, the extra weight/resistance will cause the 6 torque limiter clutch packs to slip and burn up when the 3.6 V6 Hybrid engine kicks on. Those are designed and rated specifically for the intended purpose. Imagine going up a mountain pulling a heaving load and holding your foot in it or passing someone on a straightway. The engine would be spinning faster than the other half of the Si-shaft to compensate from the over-torque the engine is trying to produce for the requested power demand. These clutch packs are small and not designed for extra weight or resistance, nor do they have any sensors monitoring them. They are spring-loaded resistance configuration not hydraulic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts