2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone, I have gone back and forth on getting a Pacifica or Odyssey. With my indecisiveness and the fact that Pacifica is coming out with AWD for 2021 I thought I could buy a used Pacifica, see if it is a vehicle I truly like and drive it until I purchase a new vehicle in which I will then just resell it. If I don't purchase this particular 2017 then I will likely purchase a used 2018 Odyssey or a new Odyssey.

I found a 2017 Touring L Plus with 8 seats, dvd, navi, roof rails/racks, and OEM tow hitch which is everything I want for $23,500 + taxes and fees.Mileage is 27,571 I think this seems to be a good deal, but would like some confirmation?

The car is clean title, was originally a leased vehicle with Chrysler, then sold at auction in which a used car dealer picked it up. Should I be concerned it was sold at auction? I have the Carfax, which shows it was brought it multiple times for servicing at Chrysler. I have called Chrysler to try to get more info on if the services were for routine maintenance or warranty issues, but have not gotten any response.

The van only has the powertrain warranty on it, but not bumper to bumper. So my questions are am I making a good decision to buy this pre-owned vehicle? Should I be concerned about it going to auction? Should I be concerned about it being a 2017 with a build date of 7-2016? I have read/heard about issues and do not want to end up with a vehicle with issues. Will I be able to resell it without losing too much money?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have gone back and forth on getting a Pacifica or Odyssey. With my indecisiveness and the fact that Pacifica is coming out with AWD for 2021 I thought I could buy a used Pacifica, see if it is a vehicle I truly like and drive it until I purchase a new vehicle in which I will then just resell it. If I don't purchase this particular 2017 then I will likely purchase a used 2018 Odyssey or a new Odyssey.

I found a 2017 Touring L Plus with 8 seats, dvd, navi, roof rails/racks, and OEM tow hitch which is everything I want for $23,500 + taxes and fees. I think this seems to be a good deal, but would like some confirmation?

The car is clean title, was originally a leased vehicle with Chrysler, then sold at auction in which a used car dealer picked it up. Should I be concerned it was sold at auction? I have the Carfax, which shows it was brought it multiple times for servicing at Chrysler. I have called Chrysler to try to get more info on if the services were for routine maintenance or warranty issues, but have not gotten any response.

The van only has the powertrain warranty on it, but not bumper to bumper. So my questions are am I making a good decision to buy this pre-owned vehicle? Should I be concerned about it going to auction? Should I be concerned about it being a 2017 with a build date of 7-2016? I have read/heard about issues and do not want to end up with a vehicle with issues. Will I be able to resell it without losing too much money?
How many miles are on the used 2017 Pacifica that you are considering?

I don't know what the economics of the deal are, but I will give you some other things to consider.

A build date of 7/2016 is prior to an update in safety features that 9/2016+ Pacifica vans have. Front door hinges were strengthened for one thing. You can see the info from the IIHS crash tests if interested. Scroll farther down to see the differences between 2017 Pacificas built before September 2016 and after.

A 2017 Pacifica doesn't have Android Auto/Apple CarPlay that the 2018+ Pacificas have if that matters to you.

If you can wait for the 2021 Pacifica that you are really interested in, it would make more sense to me rather than buying and selling a 2017 Pacifica.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to put the miles, it has 27,500 which i thought is pretty low. What do you think? Thank you for that link and info, safety is important since myself and 3 kids will ride in it. I dont know too much about Android/Apple play so will need to look into that.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I forgot to put the miles, it has 27,500 which i thought is pretty low. What do you think? Thank you for that link and info, safety is important since myself and 3 kids will ride in it. I dont know too much about Android/Apple play so will need to look into that.
The van you are considering has navigation which is built into the touchscreen, but you will have to pay to have it updated ($100-150 each time) and it isn't real time like cell phone navigation. With Android Auto / Apple Car Play you can plug your cell phone into a USB port below the touchscreen and mirror the phone on the touchscreen and have current traffic navigation through the van.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Seems like it is similarly priced to Kelly Blue Book 2017 Pacificas. I'm not an expert on deals.

Have the battery checked since it can be a source of unusual messages and many have had the battery die earlier than expected.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

I found a 2017 Touring L Plus with 8 seats, dvd, navi, roof rails/racks, and OEM tow hitch which is everything I want for $23,500 + taxes and fees. I think this seems to be a good deal, but would like some confirmation?

Welcome to the forum!

You came here and asked, so we're giving advice. ;) Mine would be to pass on that particular vehicle. As @SciTchr pointed out, it is a very early build, that was subject to a serious halt in production to strengthen some important body parts. There have been many engineering changes along the way for minor issues. The asking price is probably reasonable, but not a bargain. If you do buy it, you may want to consider an extended warranty that includes the electronics.

As a former Odyssey owner, I considered another Odyssey when I bought my Pacifica two years ago. The Pacifica is a quieter, better riding vehicle. It feels more solid, and the interior materials are quite a bit nicer. The newer Odysseys seem to have downgraded the interiors. The Pacifica has a much better double unit A/C system. Neither the Pacifica nor newer Odysseys have a sterling repair record, but mine has been mostly trouble free - just a couple of software glitches that updates fixed. My Pacifica was built 18 months and many updates after the one you are considering.

You may have a good reason to buy a Pacifica right now. If you do, then it might be wiser to find a newer one you like. If not, wait for the 2021 models, and avoid the costly 2-step purchase you are considering. I really like the changes Chrysler has announced. The Advance Safety Tech package will be standard, as will LED headlights. Also the whole electronic radio head has been redone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for that info, which is why I would love to wait until the 2021 is released later this year, but I have 3 kids and we bring friends and do alot of trips so I need a larger vehicle now. I would keep my vehicle and wait (which is what I have done since I started shopping vans in 2018 😀), but I have been made an offer for my vehicle that is significantly more than anywhere else has offered (a few thousand) so if I don't take it I will lose out and my vehicle needs new things like brakes, tires, battery, etc so if I keep it longer I will have to invest more in it. I figured I could at least take the extra money I get from selling it now and not paying the maintenance things it needs and invest it in buying something else for the time being.

I thought the used 2017 was a fair deal because of the lower miles and it has everything I need, but given the safety issue and the potential for it to have issues that I don't have a warranty for I have to reconsider. Not sure spending an extra 3k for a warranty on vehicle I won't keep long term makes sense.

I am having trouble finding a newer Pacifica that has everything I need, with good miles, at a good price point, but I did find a pre owned private party 2018 Odyssey EX-L with RES and Navi with 17.9k miles, about 18 months of bumper to bumper warranty and the powertain warranty left. Asking price is $32,500 (and will ask if they can lower a bit), but I would save quite a bit on taxes and extra dealer fees. I am not financing so won't need to worry about interest. I would need to factor in costs to add roof rails and rack and tow hitch.

Its hard because it seems the Pacifica resales are a lot less than the Odysseys as well. I know Chrysler has more incentives up front, which effects resales, but when I priced both vehicles brand new and the OTD price for both were roughly around the same.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would not buy that vehicle for reliability concerns with it being such a early build.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Let me put it to you this way-

When I first came to this Forum in the end of 2017 I separated ALL posts about car issues in 2 groups-
2016/17
EVERYTHING ELSE

And that made it easier not to be terrified I bought a piece of garbage... Cause those early adopters got sold a piece of garbage and Chrysler made it VERY difficult to get it resolved for many if not MOST of the buyers that had serious issues that I saw.

I would NEVER buy a 2017 model year. Ever.

Ever.

And beware- Chrysler Cares is only a castrated sales technique to make new buyers read posts that make them think Chrysler really cares. No. Chrysler cares about sales and isn't stupid. Internet forums can DRIVE sales like no other these days... But for most of the REAL issues, I don't see them helping much at all. My prior issues included... which BTW after signing an NDA, are now resolved and I'm fine. I cannot speak further on the matter LOL.

But you don't sign an NDA because they treated you right... You usually sign an NDA when you win a case and they don't want to admit fault. Technically I'm speaking in theory as to not affect my NDA LOL...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can’t speak to your situation specifically. But I wouldn’t be afraid of a 2017.
Ours is a fully optioned - and I do mean EVERYTHING - 2017 with a build date of 6/17 - that car has been super reliable and we are both high mileage drivers and hard on a vehicle. Been in desert heat while towing. Up and down mountains. In snow and everything in between.

We have had a few minor items. But nothing more than any of our other cars. We are a 6 car family and change over vehicles every 3 years. Our Pacifica has more than 50k miles on it now and still runs great.

That said - I cannot argue with the fact that there was a major update in late 2016 builds that may (seems so) be truly important. But for our 2017MY built in June of 2017 we have been very happy with the reliability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

When I first came to this Forum in the end of 2017 I separated ALL posts about car issues in 2 groups-
2016/17
EVERYTHING ELSE

And that made it easier not to be terrified I bought a piece of garbage... Cause those early adopters got sold a piece of garbage and Chrysler made it VERY difficult to get it resolved for many if not MOST of the buyers that had serious issues that I saw.

Ever.

And beware- Chrysler Cares is only a castrated sales technique to make new buyers read posts that make them think Chrysler really cares. No. Chrysler cares about sales and isn't stupid. Internet forums can DRIVE sales like no other these days... But for most of the REAL issues, I don't see them helping much at all. My prior issues included... which BTW after signing an NDA, are now resolved and I'm fine. I cannot speak further on the matter LOL.

But you don't sign an NDA because they treated you right... You usually sign an NDA when you win a case and they don't want to admit fault. Technically I'm speaking in theory as to not affect my NDA LOL...
Thank you for this information. It is helpful. Looks like I can buy an extended warranty from Chrysler for around $709 if I buy this preowned, but not sure it is worth it. Also, guess my biggest concern is if I buy it and have issues or don't like will I be able to get most of my back reselling. its alot to consider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can’t speak to your situation specifically. But I wouldn’t be afraid of a 2017.
Ours is a fully optioned - and I do mean EVERYTHING - 2017 with a build date of 6/17 - that car has been super reliable and we are both high mileage drivers and hard on a vehicle. Been in desert heat while towing. Up and down mountains. In snow and everything in between.

We have had a few minor items. But nothing more than any of our other cars. We are a 6 car family and change over vehicles every 3 years. Our Pacifica has more than 50k miles on it now and still runs great.

That said - I cannot argue with the fact that there was a major update in late 2016 builds that may (seems so) be truly important. But for our 2017MY built in June of 2017 we have been very happy with the reliability.
Thank for the input. For a minute I thought yours was built 7/16, but realize it is 7/17. I guess that makes a difference in things in terms of builds since at that point they have about a year to figure out kinks and do the major work to the driver door hinges. Learning about that defect for pre 9/2016 builds kind of scares me.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Thank you for that info, which is why I would love to wait until the 2021 is released later this year, but I have 3 kids and we bring friends and do alot of trips so I need a larger vehicle now. I would keep my vehicle and wait (which is what I have done since I started shopping vans in 2018 😀), but I have been made an offer for my vehicle that is significantly more than anywhere else has offered (a few thousand) so if I don't take it I will lose out and my vehicle needs new things like brakes, tires, battery, etc so if I keep it longer I will have to invest more in it. I figured I could at least take the extra money I get from selling it now and not paying the maintenance things it needs and invest it in buying something else for the time being.

I thought the used 2017 was a fair deal because of the lower miles and it has everything I need, but given the safety issue and the potential for it to have issues that I don't have a warranty for I have to reconsider. Not sure spending an extra 3k for a warranty on vehicle I won't keep long term makes sense.

I am having trouble finding a newer Pacifica that has everything I need, with good miles, at a good price point, but I did find a pre owned private party 2018 Odyssey EX-L with RES and Navi with 17.9k miles, about 18 months of bumper to bumper warranty and the powertain warranty left. Asking price is $32,500 (and will ask if they can lower a bit), but I would save quite a bit on taxes and extra dealer fees. I am not financing so won't need to worry about interest. I would need to factor in costs to add roof rails and rack and tow hitch.

Its hard because it seems the Pacifica resales are a lot less than the Odysseys as well. I know Chrysler has more incentives up front, which effects resales, but when I priced both vehicles brand new and the OTD price for both were roughly around the same.
Hi the1nonlymekels,

If you have any vehicle questions for us, please don't hesitate in reaching out to us privately! We would be happy to see how we can assist!

Alex
ChryslerCares

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thank for the input. For a minute I thought yours was built 7/16, but realize it is 7/17. I guess that makes a difference in things in terms of builds since at that point they have about a year to figure out kinks and do the major work to the driver door hinges. Learning about that defect for pre 9/2016 builds kind of scares me.
Ours was built in 6/16. No major issues to speak of, and we like the fact that it doesn't have the Start-Stop feature. It has over 70k miles now, and the only time it has been in the shop and off the road was to have the hood replaced due to the lip corrosion that has happened to several (and that I don't think is limited to 2017).

The change around 9/2016 wasn't to fix a "defect" per se, but just a strengthening to get a 5 star crash test rating. In a very specific type of crash, there was the possibility that the door hinges (and subsequently the door) could be ripped free from the A pillar. I'm not the least bit concerned about this as a) the likelihood of that exact and specific crash is low and b) even in the crash test, the driver remained well restrained. The difference can be seen at 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Minivan.

It is entirely your call as to what level of risk you're willing to assume (and driving at all can be considered risky by some), but to call the early models a "piece of garbage" is a bit much, in my opinion.

If I could trade my 6/16 build for a newer build with similar mileage and condition, would I? Not at all, because I know the history of this particular vehicle and it has performed quite well. In your case, you don't know whether the 2017 in question has had any issues, so it's a blind guess. Again, your call..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi the1nonlymekels,

If you have any vehicle questions for us, please don't hesitate in reaching out to us privately! We would be happy to see how we can assist!

Alex
ChryslerCares
Hi, for the Pacificas built before 9/2016 is there any recall/fix or anything offered for the hinge issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ours was built in 6/16. No major issues to speak of, and we like the fact that it doesn't have the Start-Stop feature. It has over 70k miles now, and the only time it has been in the shop and off the road was to have the hood replaced due to the lip corrosion that has happened to several (and that I don't think is limited to 2017).

The change around 9/2016 wasn't to fix a "defect" per se, but just a strengthening to get a 5 star crash test rating. In a very specific type of crash, there was the possibility that the door hinges (and subsequently the door) could be ripped free from the A pillar. I'm not the least bit concerned about this as a) the likelihood of that exact and specific crash is low and b) even in the crash test, the driver remained well restrained. The difference can be seen at 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Minivan.

It is entirely your call as to what level of risk you're willing to assume (and driving at all can be considered risky by some), but to call the early models a "piece of garbage" is a bit much, in my opinion.

If I could trade my 6/16 build for a newer build with similar mileage and condition, would I? Not at all, because I know the history of this particular vehicle and it has performed quite well. In your case, you don't know whether the 2017 in question has had any issues, so it's a blind guess. Again, your call..
I do have the carfax since it was leased vehicle it does show everytime it went in for servicing. While most of it looks like routine servicing it is hard to say for sure. I have seen some other car faxes on other pre owned Pacificas and they carfaxes have had more detailed service reports with specific issues fixed which makes me feel like this may not have had too many issues. However, biggest concern is this would not be a long term vehicle, but I just don't know the resale. There are so many used Pacifics on the market. I am glad to hear of someone who has not too many issues with their vehicle. Was the one fix you had costly or under warranty?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

2016/17
EVERYTHING ELSE

Ever.

Thank you for this information. I wish I knew more of your issues, but understand you have the NDA.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts