2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first time buying a new car and I would love some advice about negotiating with the dealer.

We are looking into buying a 2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited with S package, SafetyTec Group, Panoramic Sunroof, and Splash Guards. MSRP is $51,175 and $7,385 in incentives (more details below) brings the total (before TTL) to $43,790. How much more can I negotiate the price down?

MSRP Price=$51,175.00
MSRP-2,385 (Employee discount)-$5,000 (bonus/retail cash)=$43,790
Total with taxes and fees=49,280.66

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It would help if you break down taxes and fees. Those seem high. I assume you are not including any government tax incentives?

Reactions: HybridMom

·
Registered
376 Posts
Agreed that a breakdown would be helpful. Even in Cook County I think my taxes were meaningfully lower than that. The incentives look fantastic, but if the dealer is clawing them back in taxes/fees, you don’t benefit. My TTL (tax, title and license) were under $3K; yours would be nearly $6K. Note, I was trading in a vehicle worth $21.5K, so if you’ve got nothing driving down the total sales cost, your taxes WILL be higher. But $6K is still awfully high.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
86 Posts
#1 piece of advice: verify that the price quoted is good for the type of financing or payment you are prepared to do. I went with the FCA 0% financing option and that negated a bunch of manufacturer incentives. To get it back down, I then negotiated an increased trade-in value for my Toyota (helped that the dealer also sold Toyotas).

#2: If you really want to negotiate, walk away with a paper quote and not put any money down. You can't negotiate if there's no competition for your business, and if you test drive, fall in love, and stay at one dealer for 4 hours, they know they've got you and won't budge on price or options. When you leave saying "I'll think about it" you can go to other dealers. I think I left my salesman hanging 3 times, which in turn gave him more leverage to complete the sale at my price when he went to "talk to the sales manager."

#3: Get any extended warranty from Zeigler or similar online places. They don't tell you that you can get the Chrysler official extended warranty (far better than 3rd party ones) from any dealer, at any time within your 3-year original warranty period. Yes, the price goes up over time very slightly, but you avoid the "finance department bait and switch" where you're locked in a room with someone to finalize the deal and get your car and they throw out lots of complicated or useless extras (like nitrogen in the tires, or sealant on the carpeting, etc.) and start playing "you'll need this, too" bingo with your sales sheet.

Finally, your $43,790 is not much more than what I paid for my 2020 Hybrid Limited before tax and title (which in my state are not as high as your quote, but then I don't know what "fees" they've added.) Remember the 2021 models are coming out soon, and Chrysler just muddled their way through a recall that prevented the sales of the Hybrids, so remind them of that. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
19 Posts
I did a lot of internet shopping before buying my 2020 Hybrid Limited, looking on dealer websites you will find some dealers have larger discounts than others. National discounts will be the same but larger volume dealers will have more discounts than a small dealer. Only way to find them is look at that dealers website. Some dealers also offer internet discount prices. If you are sure of what you want, you might be able to get a deal from a dealer further away, and have it delivered for a test drive or sale. The discount you posted is in line with what I got on leap day when I bought my hybrid. I'm in Texas and state taxes tend to run higher to make up for no state income tax. Please don't forget your Fed and state tax incentives for buying a PHEV !

I concur with using any leverage you can. Always bring up the fact there are other dealers, and maybe you need to see them before you make a decision.
Good luck with your shopping, looks like you are getting some sound advice from others here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for all the helpful advice so far! Just to clarify a few points about my post:

1) Where we live sales tax is 9.75% which would be $4,759.66. The other fees ($608 DMV, $85 DOC fee, $8.75 tire fee, and can't find the other) total $731.75
2) Unfortunately, the only car that we can trade in is a pretty beat up 2005 Ford Focus so I doubt that will help us much at all in bringing down the taxes.
3) The amounts I gave do not include Federal or State tax credits
4) We plan to buy with cash

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been back to look at my bill of sale from December. I didn't get the pano moonroof or the mud guards but, assuming those are still $1900 and $150 add-ons respectively, you're doing about $2000 better OTD than I did, taking into account your heavier sales tax burden from not having a trade in. That strikes me as being about what you'd expect to see from buying a 2020 in July 2020 vs December 2019.

I agree with the advice you've received from others about shopping around. If your trade-in isn't going to move the needle at all, I'd send a PM to @carlw8 at Criswell Chrysler (hover over the name link there and you should see an option to send a PM) to see what kind of a quote you can get from them. There have been both positive and negative experiences had there by forum members, but recently I think it's trended positive. They're in Maryland, so your being able to get there to take delivery is obviously a key factor. Their price was better than what I found at 4 dealers locally, but between the travel from Illinois and my trade-in, it made sense for me to buy locally. At the least, for you, it would be helpful to have a comparison to shop against what your dealer is offering.

·
Registered
413 Posts
#2: If you really want to negotiate, walk away with a paper quote and not put any money down. You can't negotiate if there's no competition for your business, and if you test drive, fall in love, and stay at one dealer for 4 hours, they know they've got you and won't budge on price or options. When you leave saying "I'll think about it" you can go to other dealers. I think I left my salesman hanging 3 times, which in turn gave him more leverage to complete the sale at my price when he went to "talk to the sales manager."
The best advice.
I have heard it said "Everyone loves having a new car, everyone hates the process of buying a new car".
I deal with car dealers as I do real estate agents - assume they are lying unless proven otherwise, and if it isn't in writing, it doesn't count.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 yesterday. Here is what I negotated:

MSRP including destination = $51,175 (this is set my Chrysler)
Family Pricing Discount = -$2,194 (this is set by Chrysler)
Dealer Discount = -$3,981 (this is really what you are negotiating. If I read your posts correctly, they aren't offering any discount.)
Manufacturer Cash = -$3,000 (set by Chrysler)
Financing = 0% APR (set by Chrysler)
Total Price (excluding sales tax, doc fees, state/fed incentives) = $42,000

Your MSRP is identical to mine. Since I only took $3K in incentives, I could have purchased it for $40K before tax/title/incentives.

Every dealer has a different perspective, but you should be able to get the price (with the $5K incentive) down to about $40K before tax/title/incentives....

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
19 Posts
The fact you are paying cash and not doing a trade in, I think you could call dealers and and tell them to give you their best and lowest no haggle price, period. Cash always talks the loudest. Dealers in my area roll out the red carpet for cash buyers.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
86 Posts
How much more can I negotiate the price down?

MSRP Price=$51,175.00
MSRP-2,385 (Employee discount)-$5,000 (bonus/retail cash)=$43,790
Total with taxes and fees=49,280.66
Every dealer has a different perspective, but you should be able to get the price (with the $5K incentive) down to about $40K before tax/title/incentives....
There's your answer! Good luck, and you will love the van. (I know I do.) :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
The fact you are paying cash and not doing a trade in, I think you could call dealers and and tell them to give you their best and lowest no haggle price, period. Cash always talks the loudest. Dealers in my area roll out the red carpet for cash buyers.
The only time to tell a dealer you are paying cash is in the finance office, and that's after you've negotiated a selling price! Here's a video to explain why:

·
Registered
White 2020 touring + S - 20" tires -all black inside
31 Posts
We just purchased a 2020 touring L+ white with all black interior with 20" wheels.
Paid cash it was $38343. out the door. No tax in Oregon.
The salesman was a complete jerk, he was full of himself...
No spare tire or sunroof, didn't want all that glass above my head.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just be sure everyone is comparing apples to apples here. The vehicle in question is a 2020 Pacifica Hybrid.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
19 Posts
Sorry if I led you astray but I'm an old-school believer that cash is always king and a seller hates to see it walk out the door.
The only time to tell a dealer you are paying cash is in the finance office, and that's after you've negotiated a selling price! Here's a video to explain why:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sorry if I led you astray but I'm an old-school believer that cash is always king and a seller hates to see it walk out the door.
One of the more interesting points in that video is the suggestion to finance shortest term so that the dealership does not have to report an over $10K transaction to the Feds. Of course you can pay off the loan in large under $10K chunks over a few months, and your total interest cost would be small.

I don't think he mentioned this, but his rule also applies if you have a pre-approved loan from your bank.

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think he mentioned this, but his rule also applies if you have a pre-approved loan from your bank.
Yes, that's essentially the same as cash. You're robbing their finance department of their thunder.

Buying extended warranties online is another one. (My dealer's finance person didn't believe the price I said I could get a Mopar 7-year for, so I showed her Zeigler on my phone, and she promptly matched it saying she just had to get a warranty on there or her boss would be pissed!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
After an exhaustive search across the entire country, I felt I found the best prices from California dealerships. They have such a large inventory because of the clean air laws there that they sell them at lower prices. I spent about $1400 on shipping it to Illinois and it still was 3 grand cheaper than any place I could find here. I was really surprised. I kept expecting hidden charges to surface and they never did. Hobblit Chrysler in Woodland, Ca. We bought our 2018 new in 2018.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Touring, 3/20, build, Velvet Red Pearl, nav, power tailgate, 4Knines cargo mat
39 Posts
After an exhaustive search across the entire country, I felt I found the best prices from California dealerships. They have such a large inventory because of the clean air laws there that they sell them at lower prices. I spent about $1400 on shipping it to Illinois and it still was 3 grand cheaper than any place I could find here. I was really surprised. I kept expecting hidden charges to surface and they never did. Hobblit Chrysler in Woodland, Ca. We bought our 2018 new in 2018.
I live just a few miles from Hoblit Chrysler. They're really big in Ram truck sales. They've been in Woodland since 1949. It's where we'll be taking our new PacHy (bought a week ago) for service. Good folks there. We were pretty firm about wanting a lightly-optioned Touring, and Hoblit didn't have that, so we shopped around and found the best deal in Seaside, California (near Monterey), and we took the 3-hour drive there to buy our van. California is a very competitive car market, margins are pretty thin.

Reactions: amhobbs
1 - 20 of 21 Posts