2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sorry to say but there are so many red flags here I don't know where to begin. They shouldn't have held you up all afternoon. The nitrogen in the tires is a borderline scam... i'l rephrase that, it's a scam. Along with any window etching, mats, chrome anything, cargo trays, alarms, window tinting, flashing doojiggers for lights, etc. They're all scams. Using the tow parts delay to create a false sense of urgency is a scam.

I'm sensing they saw you coming, took advantage of your trust and ignorance, and milked you for all their worth. I shutter to ask, but can you let us know what the "out the door" price was?

In any case, run, do not walk from this "deal". Their product doesn't tow, that was your need, end of story. Cancel everything and anything, tell them so, ignore their threats, find out if it'll affect your credit, and never do business with that dealer again.

Forget about towing another car, it seems like a nifty solution but it'll be a disaster. There are better solutions.

So, after cleaning up this mess, and getting dad and yourself and you insight to where you need to be, is start reading up on how to purchase a car by negotiating over email/phone. Basically it involves contacting a few dealers, stating your needs, tell them your time is limited and that you're ready to buy asap, and asking for their best out the door price. Hopefully you'll get a bunch of responses, google the dealers, yelp them, choose the best deals, see if they budge, then choose one. Yeah it's a pain, yeah it'll take time, but it'll possibly save you so much time in the long run and earn you thousands of dollars per hour. Seriously. Money not spent is money earned.

There's a ton of posts on this forum and on the web to help.

Oh and do a test drive, asap. It may turn out you hate it, or love it (I do), but you won't know til you try it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Now that you mention it...no. Guess I thought I was trailblazing...wouldn’t be the first time lol. Anyhow while I was at the dealership all afternoon talking to a handful of CHRYSLER employees...no one there thought it was a strange concept at all...perfectly normal...nothing wrong here...lol

Also my “vehicle” is 1360 gvw 1st gen Honda Insight....plastic, dental floss and bubblegum...lol
Dealers lie, for many reasons.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I am sorry but not at all surprised you were mislead by the dealership. Your 3 requirements doesn't exist as far as I know except for possibly a Toyota Highlander Hybrid or maybe something from Tesla is rated to tow. I'll be putting a tow package on my Pachy once out of warranty, but I know what I am doing when it comes to towing and will only be pulling a very light boat with it under 1000 lbs. You shouldn't be towing a vehicle behind a Pachy unless it's a suzuki samari or the like, and even then I would be concerned. The CVT transmission isn't something I have fully wrapped my mind around when it comes to towing, it may be the weak link.
It doesn't have a cvt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed, it looks like various reputable auto media outlets and not-so reputable Chrysler dealerships have gotten it wrong labeling it a continously variable transmission or CVT.

This eFlite Si-EVT in the Pachy is interesting. I haven't had time to buy the service manuals and dig in yet. Any thoughts on why this tranny wouldn't be able to handle light loads?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Agreed, it looks like various reputable auto media outlets and not-so reputable Chrysler dealerships have gotten it wrong labeling it a continously variable transmission or CVT.

This eFlite Si-EVT in the Pachy is interesting. I haven't had time to buy the service manuals and dig in yet. Any thoughts on why this tranny wouldn't be able to handle light loads?
In order to not get this thread more side tracked, here is a thread about Hybrid towing issues to continue your discussion.:smile2:
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/433-2017-chrysler-pacifica-phev-hybrid-general-discussion/5209-phev-pacifica-towing.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just a update to this post the ehybrid does not use a cvt transmission . This has been discussed in other threads . As far as the towing aspect of a hybrid , I’ve never heard of a plug in hybrid that has ability to fully tow a car and a trailer . I can’t confirm that a model x would tow that , again , the whole tongue weight and trailer combo would come into play as would the price . I think if you went into buy the ehybrid Pacifica and just assumed that a tow package could tow it would be the norm . The only thing I put on my ehybrid is my Thule 5 bike rack and that’s it . I think there might have been confusion between the purchaser and the dealer . The dealer installed hitch would only be covered by dealer and not the manufacturer. The bill of sale would have to be posted as to the specifics of the agreement and how it was added to the deal . I hope you get resolution one way or another and safe travels .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Ok so. Update...the senior financial manager (not sure if that’s his official title..he just said he is the financial managers boss) Kevin called me after a few calls and text msgs to the dealership to various people (and various call backs to me from them) and asked me to reiterate what happened. At the very end of the conversation he said that they would be willing to install and purchase the After market tow package conversion (??) they just wanted me to be happy. I told him that the only thing that would make me happy at this point would be ending this transaction simply and quickly and to please allow me to do so. I told him “Kevin I have nothing left for this“.

I mean **** guys this should’ve been a conversation on Thursday...not the following Monday. This **** is tougher than birthing labor and I’ve been that route twice!:surprise::surprise:

I also told KEVIN “Even the financial manager Jeff when I was sitting at the finish line to buy the PacHy last Thursday had asked me why I was buying this vehicle. I said those same 3 criteria. Hybrid. Roomy. Tow package. Nobody all through the process for three days straight knew or verified that that was not possible. They just all waved me through. Even parts Dept.

And by the time KEVIN had me on the phone today dad had already booked his plane ticket so the fantasy of having that (probably last) cross country trip with him was in the past.

Onward and forward folks. You’ve all been great. Good luck and God bless and thank you all:smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not sure where you are getting your weights from, but I see that insight is 1880 lbs. I am done here, you shouldn't do it.
Typo Paxford, apologies to the thread...and moot point..you’re right...I concur

·
Registered
169 Posts

Because the two electric drive motors and stators in the transaxle are only rated for the total weight of the vehicle. Any additional load and you risk burning them up especially when the gas engine kicks in. The gas engine is only a generator and when running, you lose one of the electric drive motor pushing the vehicle (drive motor A) when it is used as a starter and it is running backwards generating power while the primary (drive motor B) continues to push the vehicle down the road.

With added load and the engine running, too much power load pulling against (driver motor A) could also cause the six torque limiter clutches in the single input (Si-) shaft to burn up.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Not a lawyer but if contract says tow package and that is a Chrysler "no-no" the implied merchantability warranty (right term?) is breached.

But this also highlights the danger of buying a vehicle far from home. I have gotten a dealer to honor a warranty on their add-ons that they claimed would be covered as part of the car warranty, but it would be almost impossible for the OP to do that if she did burn out the powertrain thousands of miles away.

Good luck. My sympathies on a really nice idea that has gone horribly wrong due to dealer ignorance (or worse)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Onward and forward folks. You’ve all been great. Good luck and God bless and thank you all:smile2::smile2::smile2:
Just to clarify, you're not buying it and haven't spent a dime, other than a wasted afternoon and some phone calls, right?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Because the two electric drive motors and stators in the transaxle are only rated for the total weight of the vehicle. Any additional load and you risk burning them up especially when the gas engine kicks in. The gas engine is only a generator and when running, you lose one of the electric drive motor pushing the vehicle (drive motor A) when it is used as a starter and it is running backwards generating power while the primary (drive motor B) continues to push the vehicle down the road.

With added load and the engine running, too much power load pulling against (driver motor A) could also cause the six torque limiter clutches in the single input (Si-) shaft to burn up.
Not to divert this thread more than it's been, but I don't think it's correct that the gas engine is a generator only (but I've been wrong before).

The gas engine is coupled to the smaller motor which, depending on how the smaller motor spins, actually controls where the torque from the gas engine goes. The torque can go towards generating electricity or towards sending power directly to the final drive gear, which assists the larger motor. Any generated electricity by the smaller motor is then either used by the larger motor or it's stored.

I think that's how it works but smarter minds on here can correct it or elaborate further.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can understand how an assumed expectation can maybe get in the way of discovering all the details in the fine print. But to encounter dealership salesmen who are not fully aware, well, I guess they want to sell a car no matter what, so you can't really expect them to know all the details either, but seems as if in this particular situation it cost them a sale, and a potential customer some wasted time and effort.

Regarding electric and hybrid vehicles that are improving each year with slight differences, it can be hard for the consumer and shopper to find out all those details, which might not even be available when making an order for one, with the various option packages that may be incompatible with each other, for example. Anyway, I think that when it comes to towing capability and capacity, those things are much more commonly listed specs on trucks and vehicles actually intended for towing, but for the hybrids where it is expressly not supported, there should be more clearly labelled warning signs like the Surgeon General's Warning on tobacco products. Maybe a little yellow tag on the rear bumper, to be only removed by consumer, like those mattress tags, you know, "do not tow anything with this vehicle" that would get the message across. Or on the "this vehicle is equipped with air bags, but NOT with a towing package" tag in the glove box.

I thought of myself as a fairly educated car shopper, it was about a year ago when I bought my Pacifica and thought that I knew how to properly research a car. But, a different example of a little tid-bit of information that I was surprised to learn, after my recent EV car purchase, that is not really a deal breaker for me, but may have been if I lived up farther North. My new Chevy Bolt EV, a great little car, but no where in the available information, other than a forum which I found AFTER buying the car, and the user's manual where it states: you can not use snow chains on the car. They don't have enough clearance on the front wheels. Silly me for not reading up on the forums first, right? At least I have the Pacifica to go on ski trips. Has anyone heard of a consumer car that can't accommodate snow chains? Well, I guess there may be a few, but come on, Chevy, really, you don't expect anyone to buy a Bolt in Canada, or the Northern States, you know, where it might SNOW? Sorry for the off-topic, off-manufacturer rant on this Chrysler Pacifica forum. I did not go out of my way to say that I needed a car to drive in the snow as a requirement to the dealer, but I am sure many potential EV buyers may require their vehicle to accommodate snow chains. If only they put a little yellow sign on the rims "NO SNOW CHAINS ALLOWED" then I would have been better informed at the time of purchase. When did car shopping start to require so much homework?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you ever seen a minivan towing another vehicle? That would be a first for me. Very hard to imagine that being safe.
A few months ago I saw an older Dodge Caravan towing one of those commercial vans(8 passenger?).. that was then towing ANOTHER vehicle behind it. People do it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
At the very end of the conversation he said that they would be willing to install and purchase the After market tow package conversion (??)
Unbelievable. Run (don't walk) away. I see your options as either A. buy the vehicle with no tow package installed or B. Have the dealer agree to rescind your purchase contract and you don't buy the vehicle. Under option B they should hand you the original inked purchase contract. Otherwise they might process you financing anyway even though you have a verbal agreement. They should also give you something in writing saying the contract is cancelled.

The fact that dealer is willing to install something the vehicle isn't rated for is very troubling. You shouldn't be asking them to install the tow package unless you don't care about your warranty from the manufacturer. A dealer warranty wouldn't work either given you don't live there and you've already determined they aren't trustworthy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
At least I have the Pacifica to go on ski trips. Has anyone heard of a consumer car that can't accommodate snow chains?
Yes, the consumer car I heard about is the 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. At least that was my impression when I bought mine and the dealer handed me a disclosure to sign indicating I understood my Pachy cannot accomodate snow chains. This is off topic for this thread but is very important to clear up for many of us owners, I'll start a new thread.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The fact that dealer is willing to install something the vehicle isn't rated for is very troubling. You shouldn't be asking them to install the tow package unless you don't care about your warranty from the manufacturer. A dealer warranty wouldn't work either given you don't live there and you've already determined they aren't trustworthy.
As was mentioned above, it's not that the car can't have a towing hitch installed, it's just not permitted to be used for towing. You can still use it as an attachment point for bike or cargo racks. Some owners have gone aftermarket, some have gone OEM, either dealer- or owner-installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The transmission in this car is completely different from the ICE only version. Professor John Kelley of Weber State University has produced a video on it. See link below. This may help you understand some of the uniqueness of the hybrid Pacifica.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts