2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Touring L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just wanted to get some input on a concern i have with the vehicle. This is my first van and im use to smaller cars/compact SUV's. I realize this is a larger/heaver vehicle then what im use to but should it feel somewhat loose when swerving back/forth? Meaning if i none aggressively turn left/right while driving over 25mph, i feel it will progressively get worse if i kept it going until it lost control. I first noticed it while driving down my access road about 35 mph and i swerved to miss a pothole, when i went to turn the other way to return to my lane, it just felt loose and i feel if my wife had to do that at a high speed, she would over correct on the turn and just keep fighting it possibly spinning out. Im sorry if this all doesnt make sense, trying to explain it.

Also wanted to ask if anyone has compiled a part number list for those wanting to swap out their chrome trim for the black trim like on the S model? We would love to do that

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
413 Posts
Hello all, just wanted to get some input on a concern i have with the vehicle. This is my first van and im use to smaller cars/compact SUV's. I realize this is a larger/heaver vehicle then what im use to but should it feel somewhat loose when swerving back/forth? Meaning if i none aggressively turn left/right while driving over 25mph, i feel it will progressively get worse if i kept it going until it lost control. I first noticed it while driving down my access road about 35 mph and i swerved to miss a pothole, when i went to turn the other way to return to my lane, it just felt loose and i feel if my wife had to do that at a high speed, she would over correct on the turn and just keep fighting it possibly spinning out. Im sorry if this all doesnt make sense, trying to explain it.

Also wanted to ask if anyone has compiled a part number list for those wanting to swap out their chrome trim for the black trim like on the S model? We would love to do that

Appreciate it!
The steering/handling shouldn't feel that loose. Our Pacifica handles better than some cars I've driven IMO. I recommend checking your tire pressure and making sure it's at least 36 PSI. I actually keep ours inflated to 41 PSI, but 36 PSI is what's stated on the tire sticker on the driver's door.

·
Registered
2017 Touring L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fairly new set of kumho Crugen HP71's, probably 5k on them

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
413 Posts
fairly new set of kumho Crugen HP71's, probably 5k on them
I'm not that familiar with this particular model, but their specifications and overall Consumer Reports rating seem to indicate they should be decent tires. Both of the OE sizes for 17" and 18" wheels (235/65/17 and 235/60/18, respectively) are V-rated (149 MPH) tires so they should handle fairly well. Again, I suggest checking your tire pressure. As I mentioned earlier, don't be inflate the tires to slightly higher pressure than what is recommended. This will reduce sidewall flex, but won't make the tires wear unevenly unless they are grossly over-inflated.

The mass of the Pacifica makes it tricky to drive to extremes. It is pretty solid and handles very well for it's size, but once you start losing control it's harder to regain it. The extra weight and higher center of gravity also decrease the margin between having control and losing it, so keep this in mind when carving corners. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
might just be a tall sidewall thing. That was one thing i hated about the van. Plenty of vehicles have 17" and 18" wheels, but generally are not that tall of a tire, unless you are looking at trucks. And truck handling has its own expectations, so people deal with it. I also kept the tires filled to 41psi on my 17's. helped make the tires les squirmy.(highly technical term right there) Geometry and characteristics lend itself to car handling, but the tall sidewalls do not. Felt like a totally different beast on 20's.

-tratpop

·
Registered
821 Posts
Its hard to say from your description whether thats normal or not. If you're coming from a smaller SUV like say a CRV or something like that, then yeah this is going to feel bigger and more top heavy. If you're coming from something like a Highlander or Pilot though, then it really shouldnt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts