·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
483 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
I’m pretty sure the Portal concept is dead. FCA didn’t even have their EV architecture plan when the portal was announced. I doubt the new minivan is going to be based on the Portal at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great news about progress by Chrysler for BEV's. If anyone will do a decent BEV minivan it will be Chrysler.

Something to consider: if you use your minivan for long distance trips, driving a full BEV will add significant time to your journey for the charging stops — several hours each day. That's what makes the Hybrid Pacifica such a compelling vehicle — local trips and as a daily driver you can run solely or mostly on battery. Take a long trip, you use the gas engine which is very fast to refuel at a gas station.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Great news about progress by Chrysler for BEV's. If anyone will do a decent BEV minivan it will be Chrysler.

Something to consider: if you use your minivan for long distance trips, driving a full BEV will add significant time to your journey for the charging stops — several hours each day. That's what makes the Hybrid Pacifica such a compelling vehicle — local trips and as a daily driver you can run solely or mostly on battery. Take a long trip, you use the gas engine which is very fast to refuel at a gas station.
That all depends on charging speed. If it can take over 150kW on a DC Fast Charge your charging time will be minimal. Certainly less than several hours a day. Depending on pack size and all that, and sufficiently fast DC charging stations, I bet maybe 2 30-40 minute charge sessions will get you through a day of travel, unless you're going all night. Then you charge it overnight at your hotel before the next day. Remember when you're DC charging, going over 80% is often a waste of time.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,580 Posts
That all depends on charging speed. If it can take over 150kW on a DC Fast Charge your charging time will be minimal. Certainly less than several hours a day. Depending on pack size and all that, and sufficiently fast DC charging stations, I bet maybe 2 30-40 minute charge sessions will get you through a day of travel, unless you're going all night. Then you charge it overnight at your hotel before the next day. Remember when you're DC charging, going over 80% is often a waste of time.
And this all depends on the infrastructure of Fast Charge stations growing to support all these new BEV's going on long trips.

·
Registered
483 Posts
And this all depends on the infrastructure of Fast Charge stations growing to support all these new BEV's going on long trips.
It will. Especially in North America. We have nothing but space and parking lots. The urban gas station will start to slowly decline as people get BEVs and charge at home. Large charging stations on highways and on the outskirts of cities will become common. Level 2 charging will become table stakes at hotels. At the start of the ICE era you’d have been called crazy if you said filling stations would cover the country. Same thing here, and electrons are easier to produce and ship. Look at Tesla. They have basically built a continent spanning fast charge network on their own with virtually all their own cash. Some of their stations in Canada have been partially funded by government, with the requirement that they also have CCS and Chademo plugs. But the vast majority they did on their own. Now imagine if governments and the legacy OEMs got behind building that infrastructure. That is starting to happen with Electrify America/Canada. This is totally possible. And already reality in some places. Go watch Bjorn Nylund’s videos on YouTube. He’s using DC chargers at Circle Ks in Norway. 1 Circle K will have a dozen DC fast chargers. It’s amazing how fast that was built out there. But the government incentivized buying EVs, lots of people did, and that made a whole new market for private business to then serve and make money from. Sounds good to me.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,580 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I know the infrastructure will come. I just wonder how soon it can get here. And if it would be at the same pace as the uptick in BEV production/sales. Also have to take into account the increase in the requirement for the power grid updates to accommodate the increased demand for power during the day.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I know the infrastructure will come. I just wonder how soon it can get here. And if it would be at the same pace as the uptick in BEV production/sales. Also have to take into account the increase in the requirement for the power grid updates to accommodate the increased demand for power during the day.
Pretty much all serious grid analysis has shown that grid capacity won’t be a problem. With the expected sales rate of BEVs, the increase in demand will be pretty smooth and distributed. Electrical utilities are already preparing for EVs. There may be regional issues in certain markets, but there won’t be grid wide problems. Electrical utilities are really good at producing and selling electricity. EVs are a massive opportunity for them.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Currently, hotels have been an issue for my Pacifica hybrid. I would love to use them but most charge 3.50 to 4.75 just to plug it in. Then they charge between 0.20 to 0.30 per kWh. Which is completely STUPID for one gallon of petrol worth of travel. Hotels are going to make a killing charging for parking and car charging in the future.

The only way I will ever go full electric is the vehicle must have 600+ miles of range and fully charge in 20 minutes or less. If they can't do that, I will never own one.

BTW, Buc-ee's has begun upgrading their locations for electric vehicles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The only way I will ever go full electric is the vehicle must have 600+ miles of range and fully charge in 20 minutes or less. If they can't do that, I will never own one.
600 miles? You must be joking. Why don’t you demand it also grow wings so it can fly while cooking your breakfast for you?

I don’t know what kind of hotels you’re staying at. But any hotel I’ve stayed at and plugged in let you do it for free. They all just have dumb Level 2 EVSEs. That’s likely to change at some point, but right now it’s a way to drive more traffic to your hotel.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
600 miles? You must be joking. Why don’t you demand it also grow wings so it can fly while cooking your breakfast for you?

I don’t know what kind of hotels you’re staying at. But any hotel I’ve stayed at and plugged in let you do it for free. They all just have dumb Level 2 EVSEs. That’s likely to change at some point, but right now it’s a way to drive more traffic to your hotel.
600 miles is not unreasonable and has already been done.

Disney World charging locations are cheaper than most hotels @1.50 to plug in plus whatever the kWh was at the time I used them. At one time I had annual passes and made multiple trips for years. In 2017 we stayed 58 days on the property throughout the year. I am very familiar with Disney World vehicle charging.

Sheraton, Marriott, Embassy Suites hotels are the ones I normally stay at or equivalent when traveling. Charge point, Blink, Greenlots, SemaConnect, EVgo, and FLO are not free at these locations.

·
Registered
483 Posts
600 miles is not unreasonable and has already been done.

Disney World charging locations are cheaper than most hotels @1.50 to plug in plus whatever the kWh was at the time I used them. At one time I had annual passes and made multiple trips for years. In 2017 we stayed 58 days on the property throughout the year. I am very familiar with Disney World vehicle charging.

Sheraton, Marriott, Embassy Suites hotels are the ones I normally stay at or equivalent when traveling. Charge point, Blink, Greenlots, SemaConnect, EVgo, and FLO are not free at these locations.
Nobody has done 600 miles in anything even close to production. The current leader is the top trim if the Lucid Air at just over 500 miles. But that’s a crazy expensive luxury car. That is not going to be the market.

Charging is just different in Canada right now I guess for hotels. It’s basically free almost everywhere. It’s being offered by the hotel itself, not a charging network that’s come in like a Coke machine and put stuff in.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Nobody has done 600 miles in anything even close to production. The current leader is the top trim if the Lucid Air at just over 500 miles. But that’s a crazy expensive luxury car. That is not going to be the market.
It's been done and will begin production soon. As technologies change so will range.

"The design is expected to form the basis for cars going on sale in 2024 or 2025, although Markus Schafer, the chief technology officer, declined to specify when the 1,000 km-range battery would be ready for production.

"We will likely be the first to show a 1,000 km-range car in real life, with such a small battery," he said."

Mercedes reveals electric car with 600-mile range

Everything we know on the GAC Aion LX Plus as of Jan 2022

GAC Aion to launch LX Plus SUV in China with over 620 miles of range

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Charging is just different in Canada right now I guess for hotels. It’s basically free almost everywhere. It’s being offered by the hotel itself, not a charging network that’s come in like a Coke machine and put stuff in.
US hotels should be free too. We pay a freaking premium to stay in them and they charge for parking and vehicle charging. :cautious: The least they could do is raise the nightly rate to include all that making you think you are getting a good deal. LOL

Kinda like on eBay. I sell things with free shipping. But the shipping is already included in my prices. Nothing is free.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
Reactions: SKPacHy

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's been done and will begin production soon. As technologies change so will range.

"The design is expected to form the basis for cars going on sale in 2024 or 2025, although Markus Schafer, the chief technology officer, declined to specify when the 1,000 km-range battery would be ready for production.

"We will likely be the first to show a 1,000 km-range car in real life, with such a small battery," he said."

Mercedes reveals electric car with 600-mile range

Everything we know on the GAC Aion LX Plus as of Jan 2022

GAC Aion to launch LX Plus SUV in China with over 620 miles of range
I’ll believe it when they are in production and we see official EPA numbers. Until then it’s vapourware, especially in China. I still say this won’t be the what the meat of the market is unless we get a huge jump in battery energy density with continues decreases in $/kWh. It’s also potentially really wasteful of resources to expect every vehicle to have such a large battery, unless those advances in battery tech happens. I know solid state batteries are a possibility, but right now they are the fusion energy of battery tech.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
I’ll believe it when they are in production and we see official EPA numbers. Until then it’s vapourware, especially in China. I still say this won’t be the what the meat of the market is unless we get a huge jump in battery energy density with continues decreases in $/kWh. It’s also potentially really wasteful of resources to expect every vehicle to have such a large battery, unless those advances in battery tech happens. I know solid state batteries are a possibility, but right now they are the fusion energy of battery tech.
Solid-state and aluminum-air batteries are in development and not far off.

Exploring the 1000 Mile Car Battery – Aluminum Air Hype?

Aluminum-air battery creator says long-range tech will be in cars soon

Toyota to Use Solid-State Batteries for New Hybrid Cars

Toyota’s Quick-Charging Solid-State Battery Coming in 2025

Reactions: SKPacHy
1 - 20 of 30 Posts