2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
How much is it to just add the roof rack on it's own? I remember reading an installation manual for it when I was looking to fix the rack that came stock on mine.

Actual road trippers will not be interested in the 20" rims and the lost ride quality. My dad has the 20" wheels and there is a noticeable difference when I switch vehicles, but maybe his stock OEM tires aren't great. We both like the ride quality better with his snow tires on 17" rims.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I worked 37 years for Chrysler and everything makes a difference.
Any type of crosswind will catch the inner sides of the roof rails.
In a perfect world, the wind would always be at your back! Lol.
True, everything makes a difference, but not necessarily a significant or noticeable one. Wind resistance affects fuel economy at higher speeds, where the apparent wind vector will usually be mostly back, unless you're driving in a hurricane, so it's hard for me to imagine crosswinds on a roof rack affecting fuel economy. (15 MPH cross wind at 70 MPH = apparent wind angle of only 12 degrees.) Headwinds or tailwinds - yes.

I have a super-efficient Yakima roof box, advertised to have little effect on fuel economy. I tracked my fuel economy on several trips, with and without the box. I couldn't measure a difference in my fuel economy with that change, so it's hard for me to imagine that those roof rails without the crossbars deployed would significantly affect fuel economy.

I can understand the esthetics perceptions, but I myself prefer it with the roof rack, the chrome not as much as the S package. I'm calling it cost-cutting on Chrysler's part.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
58 Posts
What kind of mpgs did you record on your trips?
That was in 2018 so I can't remember the #'s. I just used the computer fuel economy readings in ICE mode at a few speeds. I find the fuel economy is largely dependent on highway velocity. Wind resistance is proportional to velocity squared, so 20% faster = 44 % more fuel used but 20% less time, so 20 % worse fuel economy overall. I concentrate on passenger smoothness and we don't have many traffic jams where I drive. Last trip I did averaged 7.2 l/100k (31 MPG US I think) & one before that was 6.8.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts