2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We came to the end of our warranty at the end of April. 3 weeks later the 2017 pacifica developed a misfire. Here we are with a recommendation for engine overhaul for $6k or a complete new engine! This is crazy! I can't afford that, $13k is 50% of what I paid for it! ....we have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
290 Posts
I would start with getting another diagnosis from an independent mechanic. If they confirm, they should be able to repair or replace with a used motor for 1/2-3/4 of that $6k estimate.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
who diagnosed the recommended actions ? Did you take it to a fca dealership and open a case due to powertrain warranty , your in stones throw of coverage . So you know the exact date that vehicle was put in service ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it's a FCA dealer. Yah the issue was easily within a few weeks of powertrian warranty, 5 weeks at most. They made no mention of the possibility of this happening within the warranty, yet the issue could have easily started under warranty, it's my wife's car and she might not have noticed the misfire. I could talk to them about this possibility.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Yes it's a FCA dealer. Yah the issue was easily within a few weeks of powertrian warranty, 5 weeks at most. They made no mention of the possibility of this happening within the warranty, yet the issue could have easily started under warranty, it's my wife's car and she might not have noticed the misfire. I could talk to them about this possibility.
I would , also check your in service date to get a better pic of your warranty out of usage time frame

·
Registered
37 Posts
We came to the end of our warranty at the end of April. 3 weeks later the 2017 pacifica developed a misfire. Here we are with a recommendation for engine overhaul for $6k or a complete new engine! This is crazy! I can't afford that, $13k is 50% of what I paid for it! ....we have no idea what to do.
I would take the losses and try to sell/trade in at a dealership or a place like CarMax/Carvana... With how much they can sell cars for right now they foam at the mouth when you want to sell even if there are issues with the vehicle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You need to ask the service manager to contact the Factory Rep to try and get an approval to cover the repair which is so very close to the expiration of warranty. Both Ford and GM are known to make those kinds of reasonable accommodations... I don't know about Stellantis.. It is certainly worth trying though..

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L + Our first Van. Strange not to have a Pick up in the driveway.
32 Posts
I agree to get a second opinion. As I understand it, the 3.6 is a very reliable engine now. There were head problems in the beginning. Vendor problem. There's more problems with the Hemi. These dealer mechanics, think they're mechanics. I've had issues in the past that I diagnosed correctly, and had them come up with a dozen other things. After they did all their parts swapping, they finally did it my way. It's not nice to mess with a proficient ungineer of 50 years. LOL

There is the option of used engines. They ought to be a dime a dozen. I hope it's just some chimp who's wrong.

·
Registered
708 Posts
What are they saying is causing the misfire? What component has failed?

Reactions: Polaraco

·
Registered
708 Posts
Head gasket failure...maybe cracked block as well.
"MAYBE?" - You're told to get a new engine based on a maybe of a cracked block???
A head gasket does not mean a new engine - get a second opinion.

Reactions: daniel9478

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L + Our first Van. Strange not to have a Pick up in the driveway.
32 Posts
"MAYBE?" - You're told to get a new engine based on a maybe of a cracked block???
A head gasket does not mean a new engine - get a second opinion.
Agreed Donindel. That sounds like the Mechanics in the Rollin 529 if you get my drift. Army

It's highly unlikely the block cracked because of a head gasket. If anything, the head would be cracked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts