2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2018 PACIFICA TOURING L PLUS (gas) | Black S Package | MFG Date 3-18 Windsor, Canada
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I am upgrading from a 2013 Town and Country , which replaced my 2009 Grand Caravan, which replaced my 2003 Grand Caravan. Lots of vans : )

There's a bit more tech reliant items than I thought there would be. a little learning curve ahead for sure.

So the questions i have so far:
CarPlay - has anyone had bugs with it? Songs have 'skipped' like the old days of vinyl records. I have to unplug iPhone from USB port to get the radio to calm down. Only happened twice so far.

AC - I noticed it was 63 degrees outside. I have the AC set for 72 AC on, recirculation on. Hot air was coming out the vents. I did not have Auto on. Wondering if this is because i was still asking for a higher temp than what the outside air was. If I went lower than the outside temperature, cold air would come out the vents.

Last, no spare tire? Just the air pump. not even sure if it had the tire sealant can. I didn't really look.
I have 245/50R20 tires.
If I was to look for the inflatable spare tire kit and cover, would this even work with the other tires being wider/lower?

I also have to figure out the 2 rear Uconnect Theatre remotes. they were not responding last night. Could have been old AAA batteries. picking up new ones on the way home tonight.

Thanks!!

van.jpeg.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,150 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forums.

For the AC to blow cold air, the cabin temp needs to be set below the current temp in the cabin. With an outside temp of 63, setting the climate control to 72 is going to be asking for heat. So what you are seeing is normal.

Many manufacturers are no longer putting spare tires in vehicles to reduce weight and increase their mpg numbers. The air pump unit supplied includes the sealant tank for temporary repair of a flat.

If you went with the inflatable spare, it would work. But you would have to ensure that it was placed on the rear of the vehicle. So if you had a flat on the front, you would have to put the inflatable spare on the rear and then put that rear tire on the front.

·
Registered
2018 PACIFICA TOURING L PLUS (gas) | Black S Package | MFG Date 3-18 Windsor, Canada
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations and welcome to the forums.

For the AC to blow cold air, the cabin temp needs to be set below the current temp in the cabin. With an outside temp of 63, setting the climate control to 72 is going to be asking for heat. So what you are seeing is normal.

Many manufacturers are no longer putting spare tires in vehicles to reduce weight and increase their mpg numbers. The air pump unit supplied includes the sealant tank for temporary repair of a flat.

If you went with the inflatable spare, it would work. But you would have to ensure that it was placed on the rear of the vehicle. So if you had a flat on the front, you would have to put the inflatable spare on the rear and then put that rear tire on the front.
Cool, thanks. I figured the AC thing was due to updated tech in the Van.
Spare tire may be a thing of the past. I've always had one with my other vehicles, but never really had a flat or used the spare.
If flat is that bad, I guess that's what AAA is for : )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does everyone know about batteries? Some place I read, Pacifica's have more than 1 battery. is this true for all models? I looked through the owners manual and did not find anything mentioning a second battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
What does everyone know about batteries? Some place I read, Pacifica's have more than 1 battery. is this true for all models? I looked through the owners manual and did not find anything mentioning a second battery.
Your 2018 will have two batteries. The main battery and a smaller auxiliary battery. Looking under the hood, you can find the smaller battery just beside the main. The aux battery is used to provide power to all the electronics and lights and fans etc when the Engine Stop/Start (ESS) has stopped the engine when you are stopped at a light.

Search the forums for ESS battery or Aux battery and you will find lots of information on this setup. If you do not drive the vehicle very much, or only on short drives, you need to be aware that the aux battery may not get a full charge necessary to work with the ESS. In this case, the battery can become bad and when that happens, it can bring down your main battery. You will then have to buy two new batteries. The threads here can help with workarounds or even disabling the ESS system if you do not want it. Then you can disconnect the aux battery and not have to worry about it killing your main battery.

Reactions: Mikep51

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your 2018 will have two batteries. The main battery and a smaller auxiliary battery. Looking under the hood, you can find the smaller battery just beside the main. The aux battery is used to provide power to all the electronics and lights and fans etc when the Engine Stop/Start (ESS) has stopped the engine when you are stopped at a light.

Search the forums for ESS battery or Aux battery and you will find lots of information on this setup. If you do not drive the vehicle very much, or only on short drives, you need to be aware that the aux battery may not get a full charge necessary to work with the ESS. In this case, the battery can become bad and when that happens, it can bring down your main battery. You will then have to buy two new batteries. The threads here can help with workarounds or even disabling the ESS system if you do not want it. Then you can disconnect the aux battery and not have to worry about it killing your main battery.
Thanks. i did see a post regarding the small battery after i posted this.
I am looking into the SmartStartStop device. I will not use the van for a couple days/week in a row sometimes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, New issues here.
Remember I barely use this vehicle. Its to take my dogs out to the park every other day :O
I have noticed when i am driving for 5 minutes or so, I hear 2 beeps/chimes/tones over the speakers.
I have seen posts on here mentioning the Start Stop Battery.

Now, my Start/Stop battery is never charged. possibly since it sits all week. and when I do drive it. its for less than 10 miles a trip.
I never see any alarms on my screens. Wonder if the alerts are for this battery or something else.
I only noticed this battery fully charge and the Start Stop function work when I drove it home for the 1st time from the Chrysler dealer last month.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
Are any of your dogs in the passenger seat? If so, it's the no seatbelt chime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are any of your dogs in the passenger seat? If so, it's the no seatbelt chime.
Yes, 1 has to sit up front :) Thanks, I didn't even think of that!
I only hear the 2 tones once during our whole trip. Yesterday was a 30 min trip each way. the chimes go off after 5 minutes or so of driving.

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
Yes, 1 has to sit up front :) Thanks, I didn't even think of that!
I only hear the 2 tones once during our whole trip. Yesterday was a 30 min trip each way. the chimes go off after 5 minutes or so of driving.
Could be that the one that sits in the seat is pretty light so when moving around it hits the sensor just right once every trip 😁

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will have him sit in the back next time we go to the park. I will reply here with my findings. thanks again!

Reactions: irpilot

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
305 Posts
You could just connect the seatbelt or follow these steps to disable it.

I got it to work after a few tries. I was missing the final step of turning the car back off.

1) Close the door and buckle your seatbelt.
2) Press the start button twice with your foot off the brake. This will put the van to run, but not start it.
3) Unbuckle and rebuckle your seatbelt three times. You should end up with your seat belt buckled.
4) Turn the car off. You should hear a chime that signifies the state has changed.

·
Super Moderator
934 Posts
I will have him sit in the back next time we go to the park. I will reply here with my findings. thanks again!

View attachment 46843 View attachment 46844
He or she definitely looks guilty 😁. One way to get around the chime is to buckle the seatbelt. I think there are actual clips you can buy on Amazon that go in the seatbelt housing that will trick the system into thinking that the seat belt is buckled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He or she definitely looks guilty 😁. One way to get around the chime is to buckle the seatbelt. I think there are actual clips you can buy on Amazon that go in the seatbelt housing that will trick the system into thinking that the seat belt is buckled.
He (Slick) doesn't like his picture taken :)
I tried the steps to disable the seatbelt like Jeremy mentioned and could not get a confirmation chime at the end of the steps.
I'll have to go for a drive this weekend and see if i still hear the tones. if I do, I will buckle the passenger seatbelt and drive home to see if I hear the tones on the way back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, had a human front passenger this weekend. after driving for a while, 2 chimes came over the speakers while listening to the radio.
I don't think its a seatbelt alert.
Wondering if it has to do with that Start Stop battery .
After those chimes, I looked at the display and Start /Stop was on.
It was no longer saying Battery not charged or something like that.
No lights or alarms show up on the dashboard screen or radio screen.
My phone was not connected via airplay at the time either.

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
Check to see if the issue is related to your Nav system's safety cam warnings. See this thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check to see if the issue is related to your Nav system's safety cam warnings. See this thread.

Thanks. i will check these setting in the navigation menu.

The ESS Battery was charged Sunday. ESS worked .
Monday afternoon, the ESS Battery says Start/Stop Not Ready. Battery Charging.
How long should this battery keep charge?

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
Thanks. i will check these setting in the navigation menu.

The ESS Battery was charged Sunday. ESS worked .
Monday afternoon, the ESS Battery says Start/Stop Not Ready. Battery Charging.
How long should this battery keep charge?
View attachment 46911
How old is the aux battery? Have you had both batteries checked? Be sure you disconnect the negative terminal from the aux battery before you test. If the main battery is weak, it will drain the aux battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How old is the aux battery? Have you had both batteries checked? Be sure you disconnect the negative terminal from the aux battery before you test. If the main battery is weak, it will drain the aux battery.
I am only assuming both batteries are original from 2018. I am just over the 36month/36000 mile mark. I'm at 36210.
I haven't had either one checked.
I'm just concerned if I just charged the ESS Battery and within 24 hours, its charging again.

I can stop by a local AutoZone or something and see what they say.
Otherwise, I was offered a free oil change at 3 months from the dealership where I bought it. So maybe I will wait until then to have the batteries checked.

The battery is no longer covered under any warranties. I called this morning just to check.

I saw another post regarding the removal of the negative wire when testing.
Gonna try tonight. thank you !

Such a mess. i didn't research aux batteries or ESS when purchasing this van. If I knew about this, I would have shopped for old Town and Country van.

·
Super Moderator
1,150 Posts
I too have a 2018 with original batteries. Unless I drive daily, and for a reasonable distance, I will see the Battery Charging all the time. As you noted you may go a week without driving the vehicle, you will be seeing the same as I do. Once I do take a long enough drive to charge the aux battery, the ESS will work again. But you need to remember that each use of the ESS system puts quite a drain on the aux battery, depending on what is running on the vehicle while stopped. Lights, fans, etc can use up a lot of power. So if you do not drive the vehicle the next day, the battery could get low enough to show the Battery Charging again. Especially if it is in fact 3 years old.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts