2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
We just purchased a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Billet Silver, Black/Grey Interior.
We paid 32K + tax and title with 33K miles.
We're debating on an extended warranty, CNA, Mopar, Ziegler. The dealer is pushing CNA. Any thoughts on this? Is the extended worth it, or a waste of money?
What are the common failures on these vans?
Thanks,
Phil
Minneapolis, MN, USA

·
Registered
46 Posts
I generally don't like extended warranties, but for a Hybrid, they have a lot going on. I would do a factory Mopar one, not a 3rd party. I would specifically look for coverage around the battery and electronics. If it's around 2k, idk I would get one I guess. What I don't know is what the hybrid powertrain warranty is from the factory. You don't want to be holding the bag on the battery repair cost, if it needs one.

One the plus side you still have 3k miles of bumper to bumper. Good time to got through the van with attention to detail, check all buttons and functions and look for buzz/squeak/rattles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks again yomanwill. Good points on the go-through. I'll have to borrow the car from my wife!
Phil

·
Registered
495 Posts
I generally don't like extended warranties, but for a Hybrid, they have a lot going on. I would do a factory Mopar one, not a 3rd party. I would specifically look for coverage around the battery and electronics. If it's around 2k, idk I would get one I guess. What I don't know is what the hybrid powertrain warranty is from the factory. You don't want to be holding the bag on the battery repair cost, if it needs one.

One the plus side you still have 3k miles of bumper to bumper. Good time to got through the van with attention to detail, check all buttons and functions and look for buzz/squeak/rattles.
The Hybrid components warranty is 10 year 100,000 or 150,000 miles depending on your state. The power train warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles. The fine print of the Chrysler extended warranty clearly states it does NOT cover any hybrid components. Those are covered by the factory 10year 100,000/150,000 only.

·
Registered
969 Posts
With all the electronics on theses cars , radios, blind spot , acc , power motors , etc a extended warranty is peace of mind . Price out one part of vehicle with sliding door and labour and tell me a mopar warranty isn’t worth it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Big disclaimer, I'm a cheap sob. So why I struggle with paying for warranties, you have to pay 2-3k upfront (plus interest if rolled into a loan), and once it's paid you don't get it back.

Sell the van in 5 years? gone. Van get's totaled out. gone? Flood/Fire. gone.

So 1.) you need to keep van + you need to have all the repairs cost more than the warranty
I'll personally roll the dice every time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Big disclaimer, I'm a cheap sob. So why I struggle with paying for warranties, you have to pay 2-3k upfront (plus interest if rolled into a loan), and once it's paid you don't get it back.

Sell the van in 5 years? gone. Van get's totaled out. gone? Flood/Fire. gone.

So 1.) you need to keep van + you need to have all the repairs cost more than the warranty
I'll personally roll the dice every time.
The Chrysler MaxCare warranty is refundable to a certain point and transferable to a new owner which ups the value of a resale. Who doesn't want to buy a used vehicle from a third party with a factory extended warranty that is transferable? It's like several that have reported out of warranty alternator bolts shearing off in the block and alternators falling off. Extremely expensive repair and not a DIY. As for "totaled out. gone? Flood/Fire", That is why I have insurance, I don't like gambling with 52-grand on the line.

I personally have the MaxCare 8/year 125,000/miles. If I sell it in 5 years and don't go over the miles, the new owner will get a 3 year and whatever miles are left extended warranty.

Reactions: CANADAHYBRIDGUY
1 - 7 of 7 Posts