2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We bought a 2020 Hybrid in a hurry at a great discount. I described the car to a pilot friend as a "non-precision approach" to building cars.
I have to admit that I am as picky as it comes.
For starters, not all doors align, but I saw lots of Pacificas on the lot like this... sigh.
The car drove straight during the test drive, but i discovered after the purchase that one tire was overinflated. After making the pressure correct, the car pulls left. The dealer "can't verify the complaint". If I inflate the tires to 40 PSI, instead of 36, the pulling to the left becomes very apparent. Camber issue?
Yes the Connect .... has some issues, but I always knew I will reply on CarPlay. The WiFi works sometimes...
The transition between electric and gas could be smoother....
Most concerning... I heard in the first few hundred of miles the engine waking up and making very angry noises and the car vibrating when accelerating hard. I opened the hood in the garage and the engine started and then heard a metallic rattling noise coming from the middle of the engine compartment. Just like a rotating object would touch the chassis. The noise would go in and out and eventually went away. I heard this noice from a rental I had a few years ago (a Grand Caravan). it would come in and out, especially in turns, going uphill. At the time I thought it was an axle rubbing on some suspension part or body. But in my own car's case, the car was stationary. I can only guess that this is inside the transmission. In any case, for the next 2000 miles, I haven't heard it.
I also paid 300 to tint the front window with 3M Crystallite something, to reduce the heat from the sun. Big mistake. The dashboard reflection in the windshield is very pronounced, now. If I knew I would have never done it.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - Velvet Red
54 Posts
I could do a "++" for the angry noise on my hybrid. On a quiet sunday afternoon, it scared my wife and a zebra finch that was taking a free ride on the rearview mirror. There were a few frequencies of noise coming in, nothing too concerning, but new to us. Then we hit a red light, and the car went all quiet.. it was very interesting, because the car was running on gas, and there was not a sound from the engine.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - Velvet Red
54 Posts
Honestly, it's been too loud for me with the ice running. it's like an aeroplane sound. Not sure if there is an option to disable anc and check

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red with "S" package
49 Posts
I don't have the hybrid, mines a regular one!! Not sure what hybrids have.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are we talking gaps of flushness for alignment of doors ?
Yes. In mine the passenger front door lower rear corner sticks out about 3 mm. I've seen some with the driver door having this issue. My friend recommended I move the sliding door to match the front door. On closer inspection it does seem that the sliding door is closing too far in. But when i drive I hear the wind coming from gaps in the sliding door, so even if some adjustment would be possible.... I wonder if it would be wise to increase the gap between the sliding door and the frame.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, it's been too loud for me with the ice running. it's like an aeroplane sound. Not sure if there is an option to disable anc and check
Turn vehicle on and in Park. Open the hood. The engine will start. From time to time you can hear "something" getting engaged. I assume it is spinning one of the two electrical motors and producing electricity. That increases the noise.
That is normal. The sound i was complaining about was on top of that. It sounded like a metal rattle, just like a rotating part would hit the outer casing of the transmission. It would slowly go away and come back, not sudden. It would happen only during the times when the generator was engaged. Definitely a defect. Vibration was transmitted through the body of the car. In a previous trip up the mountain I have felt significant vibration in the steering wheel at a time for about 30 seconds, but I was in a loud setting. before I could control the situation to reduce sound, the vibration stopped.
Like I said, I heard the exact noise and vibration in a Town and Country rental while driving uphill and changing direction. I assume it's something in the transmission. I can't imagine much commonality of parts between my hybrid and that TC.
Since it did not make that sound in the last 2k miles, I have nothing to show to a dealer. We also learned to not stress it with brisk acceleration that requires the gas engine to come on at high levels of power.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For the wheel alignment issues, if you purchased new they should cover wheel alignments for the first 12K miles.

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
202 Posts
The sound i was complaining about was on top of that. It sounded like a metal rattle, just like a rotating part would hit the outer casing of the transmission.
+1

TBH ours has made this sound too but it’s less and less since new. (4.5k miles now). I have extensive hybrid experience and this sound does not sound “right” aka normal even for a hybrid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts