2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just purchased my 2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited two days ago. I found the info on this forum super helpful before purchasing. So thanks!

We began our first road trip yesterday. Traveling about 300 miles. I ran into several odd issues along the way. I'm wondering if these are all normal Pacifica glitches, or cause for concern.

First my new Galaxy S21 doesn't seem to want to charge on the wireless charger. It will report that it is charging, but the phone just gets super hot and percent charged does not increase. I tried it with and without the case.

Next the android auto connection kept dropping while listening to music and navigating. It was suggested this might be due to other bluetooth devices in the car interfering, but it happens when my phone is the only device present in the car as well. I tried with the case, without the case, on and off the wireless charger and even while plugged into a usb cable. Same behavior.

I found the adaptive cruise control function awesome, but couldn't get the lane assist function to work. Every time we pressed the button to enable it the blue light would flash for a couple seconds and remain on.

The gas range estimated by the car is way off. It reported 300 miles on a full tank. I immediately thought this was odd as I thought the range was supposed to be something close to 500 miles . As we were driving it decreased, then hovered around the 233 miles for around 100 miles worth of actual driving before it started decreasing again. Wondering if it just needs to go through a tank or two before the estimate gets better?

Finally, the UConnect app is now reporting that I have 158 miles electric range on an empty battery. See attached screenshots. I'm a software engineer by trade, so I can appreciate that all software has bugs. All this combined has me concerned though.

Did I get a lemon or is all of this behavior expected?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,055 Posts
The gas range estimated by the car is way off. It reported 300 miles on a full tank. I immediately thought this was odd as I thought the range was supposed to be something close to 500 miles . As we were driving it decreased, then hovered around the 233 miles for around 100 miles worth of actual driving before it started decreasing again. Wondering if it just needs to go through a tank or two before the estimate gets better?
As you noted, the number remaining the same for 100 actual miles driven does show that the it is only a estimate that is based on the vehicle's current average mpg figure and the level of gas in the tank. Over time, as you use the gas and the vehicle has the history of your driving habits, the numbers will get closer to the real range. I'm not sure about the hybrids, but on the gas models, when using the fuel economy display, you can reset the display numbers so you are using the current actual mpg figures.

Reactions: Zielin

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you noted, the number remaining the same for 100 actual miles driven does show that the it is only a estimate that is based on the vehicle's current average mpg figure and the level of gas in the tank. Over time, as you use the gas and the vehicle has the history of your driving habits, the numbers will get closer to the real range. I'm not sure about the hybrids, but on the gas models, when using the fuel economy display, you can reset the display numbers so you are using the current actual mpg figures.
Thanks! Will see if it resolves itself after a refill or two. If not, I will look for the reset function.

The electric range bug seems to have resolved itself now that I plugged in.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,055 Posts
And remember that the number shown is always going to be connected to the running mpg average since the last time it was reset.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And remember that the number shown is always going to be connected to the running mpg average since the last time it was reset.
Yeah, if that had been the case it would have made more sense. It was weird that it hovered around 233 miles estimated range +/- 2 miles for around 100 miles of actual driving. Not sure what kind of averaging algorithm would cause that. Chrysler should open source their software :)

·
Super Moderator
1,055 Posts
When you first pick up your vehicle, the only driving done is from the assembly line to the parking area. Then on and off the delivery vehicles and any test drives at the dealership. None of which would generate the predicted mpg for the vehicle. So the starting range you see when you first pick up your vehicle will be skewed.

I often just drive around town and will have an estimated range from my in town driving. Then when I do take a one hour drive, I will see the same range number give or take a few miles for at least half of that. Not unusual as the range catches up with the updated mpg average for my highway drive.

Reactions: Zielin

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @peterweb

Regarding the separate lane sense feature issue, here's a video of what I'm seeing with the lane sense. I feel like I must just be doing some wrong or missing something easy here. I haven't had any luck googling or searching through the manual so far though.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle Luxury White
43 Posts
For lane assist, are all cameras clean?

I have same issue with AA dropping connection. Did u plug it with wire for initial setup? It helped some people (mine has been dropping less since doing that.)

Mpg in app has been doing that for me as well in beginning but has settled now.

This car is way too loaded with gadgets and features but it has all been done by amateur programmers I think. I do like the car but these bugs on a 60k vehicle is a bit odd.
Another thing to verify would be too see if all is up to date but you being a software engineer did it already I suppose.

Congrats on your purchase. Hope you will enjoy it. Need Patience with this car. Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For lane assist, are all cameras clean?

I have same issue with AA dropping connection. Did u plug it with wire for initial setup? It helped some people (mine has been dropping less since doing that.)

Mpg in app has been doing that for me as well in beginning but has settled now.

This car is way too loaded with gadgets and features but it has all been done by amateur programmers I think. I do like the car but these bugs on a 60k vehicle is a bit odd.
Another thing to verify would be too see if all is up to date but you being a software engineer did it already I suppose.

Congrats on your purchase. Hope you will enjoy it. Need Patience with this car. Good luck
Thanks for the reply!

I assume the sensors are fully cleaned. The car was sparkling when I drove it off the lot.

I did the initial sync to my phone wirelessly. I found another suggestion to disable battery optimizations for the android auto app on the phone. Will give both of these a try.

I have not tried manually checking for software updates. Will have to learn how to do that and give it a try as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Did you enable the settings in the uconnect under system settings . And if you are aware that depending on the make and model of phone all of them are not compatible with the current operating system . Uconnect has a website and it’s got a ton of information . I think if writing script for software was a problem then it would be a problem for everybody , not just a problem for certain o/s compatibles. So saying that whomever writes their programs is amateur is kinda like me criticizing you because you didn’t read the manual / instructions. Funny as I’ve found the vast majority of people on here very informed , although seems to be a good chunk of people who choose to not read the manual on how to initialize or set things up , just saying .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you enable the settings in the uconnect under system settings . And if you are aware that depending on the make and model of phone all of them are not compatible with the current operating system . Uconnect has a website and it’s got a ton of information . I think if writing script for software was a problem then it would be a problem for everybody , not just a problem for certain o/s compatibles. So saying that whomever writes their programs is amateur is kinda like me criticizing you because you didn’t read the manual / instructions. Funny as I’ve found the vast majority of people on here very informed , although seems to be a good chunk of people who choose to not read the manual on how to initialize or set things up , just saying .
Sorry, which setting are you referring to? Enabling Android Auto? It is enabled. I'm able to use it. It just disconnects frequently.

I didn't call anyone amateur. Nor would I. I have created plenty of my own bugs over the years. Bugs don't always manifest for everyone, and not always in the same way. So yes, it is entirely possible for some of us to see malfunctions, while others do not.

For the record I did read the manual on the lane sense feature. Though I have not yet had the time to read it cover to cover. So it's possible I missed something. If there is something you think I'm missing please do let me know.

I have a brand new Galaxy S21 with the latest version of Android. Since posting this I have actually read that some people with the same device have had issues with Android Auto. Though it seems recent software updates on the phone have fixed it for many.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I find that the wireless Android Auto connection drops after my Galaxy S9+ gets too warm on the wireless charging pad. The phone drops the wireless Android Auto connection and the LED on the wireless charging pad blinks red. My phone does charge on the pad, but only at 5 Watts........ and it does get warm.
Once I take it off the pad and the phone cools, it does reconnect.
This is not a surprise to me, as I have had the same thing happen where the phone stops charging wirelessly (because of heat) on many other aftermarket wireless car chargers. I've noticed some new aftermarket wireless car chargers, to mitigate this heat problem, come with an integrated fan to cool the phone while charging.

On a long trip with the PacHy, I just use the cable and plug it in to charge and connect to Android Auto. It seems much more reliable and charges faster that way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find that the wireless Android Auto connection drops after my Galaxy S9+ gets too warm on the wireless charging pad. The phone drops the wireless Android Auto connection and the LED on the wireless charging pad blinks red. My phone does charge on the pad, but only at 5 Watts........ and it does get warm.
Once I take it off the pad and the phone cools, it does reconnect.
This is not a surprise to me, as I have had the same thing happen where the phone stops charging wirelessly (because of heat) on many other aftermarket wireless car chargers. I've noticed some new aftermarket wireless car chargers, to mitigate this heat problem, come with an integrated fan to cool the phone while charging.

On a long trip with the PacHy, I just use the cable and plug it in to charge and connect to Android Auto. It seems much more reliable and charges faster that way.
Thanks @kenchills. My phone was also initially on the wireless charger, and it did also get really hot after a while. I suspected this was an issue so I removed it from the wireless charger. It continued to frequently disconnect both while not charging and while charging via cable.

Hoping the solution isn't just to not use wireless. Would be disappointing. Especially with the combination of a brand new car and brand new phone.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks @peterweb

Regarding the separate lane sense feature issue, here's a video of what I'm seeing with the lane sense. I feel like I must just be doing some wrong or missing something easy here. I haven't had any luck googling or searching through the manual so far though.

That's not normal. You'll have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Thanks @peterweb

I hesitate to ask this, but have you tried a cold reboot of Uconnect? In all past Pacificas, it was FUSE 76, in the underhood driver's side fuse box. (I don't know if it's changed.) Pull it, wait a minute, reinsert. The box is always powered.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@Zielin

Have you tried the wireless AA or Apple CP with another phone?
I'm curious if it's an incompatibility with the new Galaxy S21.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks @Waldo and @kenchills

Checking a different phone was on my list, but haven't had the opportunity to try yet. Wasn't aware of the fuse option to hard reboot.

We have a couple more long drives ahead of us this week. Will add both of these to my list of things to try.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I haven't driven long enough to notice if I'm running nav and music through wireless CarPlay, if the phone will also be able to increase in charge/top off. In cars before, some USB ports could barely keep the phone steady at a battery level if also running all the apps and nav etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't driven long enough to notice if I'm running nav and music through wireless CarPlay, if the phone will also be able to increase in charge/top off. In cars before, some USB ports could barely keep the phone steady at a battery level if also running all the apps and nav etc.
Great point. I don't know how fast the wireless charger works. I know modern fast charging phones, when plugged into a USB C cable, can keep up and charge the phone no problem. Not so sure about the wireless charger.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts