2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

My wife and I own a 2017 Pacifica Limited. Overall we have been very satisfied with the vehicle, however, today has been a complete disappointment. We brought in the vehicle for an oil change (approx 20k miles). We asked them to take a look at a very odd sound that comes from the tires at highway speed. They tried to rotate and balance the tires, but that simply resulted in the noise moving from the front to the back. The mechanic stated that the tires were the issue and that all four need to be replaced. He also said that one tire potentially had a defect (which was the cause of the noise in his opinion).

Here's the kicker - Chrysler doesn't want to do squat to assist. Neither does Bridgestone. Ive had a lot of vehicles in my time and none of them have required new tires at 20k miles. I'm upset with how Chrysler is handling this. I feel that they should be offering some assistance. After all - this is a $40,000 vehicle.

This vehicle has only been serviced by the dealer. They are saying that they don't think that the tires were rotated the last time I brought in the vehicle for service. How is that my fault??? Fronts are 4/32 and rears are 8/32. What do yall think?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
368 Posts
What make of tire and size do you have ?. When was last time you rotated them ?. Driving dynamics, air pressure and tire manufacture all play a role in tire longevity or lack thereof .

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would go to a good independent tire shop and get a set of good name brand tires. Drive the van like it is very heavy, cuz it is. Vans are hard on tires. All of them. Take turns more slowly. You are scrubbing rubber off the fronts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a CX-7 go through tires at about 25,000 miles. Totally bald.

Many factors here
1. What are the tire specs? size? Tread wear #?
2. If the dealer did not rotate them, it would not show up on the receipt. Did you ask them to rotate them? Did you check your paperwork to see it was being done?
3. Tires are wear items. If they are wearing evenly, but fast, what do you want the dealer/ tire guys to do? How do they know you are not doing burn outs? Swapping them on to another car? Warranties cover defects, not wear.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Every Van forum (Toyota, Kia, Honda, Chrysler) has many complaints about tires not wearing well.
This is due to their weight, and the fact that most people drive them like cars, because they can, and that is what they are used to It is a very heavy vehicle, with car tires, not truck tires.
Drive accordingly, and you will get 40k (or so).
Drive it hard, and you will get 20k.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have 21,000 miles on our Pacifica with the cheaper factory 17" Kuhmo's. No where near worn out and we drive it fairly hard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good Evening,

My wife and I own a 2017 Pacifica Limited. Overall we have been very satisfied with the vehicle, however, today has been a complete disappointment. We brought in the vehicle for an oil change (approx 20k miles). We asked them to take a look at a very odd sound that comes from the tires at highway speed. They tried to rotate and balance the tires, but that simply resulted in the noise moving from the front to the back. The mechanic stated that the tires were the issue and that all four need to be replaced. He also said that one tire potentially had a defect (which was the cause of the noise in his opinion).

Here's the kicker - Chrysler doesn't want to do squat to assist. Neither does Bridgestone. Ive had a lot of vehicles in my time and none of them have required new tires at 20k miles. I'm upset with how Chrysler is handling this. I feel that they should be offering some assistance. After all - this is a $40,000 vehicle.

This vehicle has only been serviced by the dealer. They are saying that they don't think that the tires were rotated the last time I brought in the vehicle for service. How is that my fault??? Fronts are 4/32 and rears are 8/32. What do yall think?

Thanks in advance!

I know these things don't come with an owner's manual, but do they come with a bundle of tire warranty info? Can't speak to the tread depth and whether your tires were rotated or not, but they should be covered (or at least prorated) for a defect. Did you ever have a puncture and use a tire foam/tire slime product? Those will cause a balance/noise issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What make of tire and size do you have ?. When was last time you rotated them ?. Driving dynamics, air pressure and tire manufacture all play a role in tire longevity or lack thereof .

We have the Bridgestone 18" tire. Should have been rotated last oil change (10K miles). Cant say for sure that it happened. The big issue isnt really the wear - its the noise that the tires are creating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a CX-7 go through tires at about 25,000 miles. Totally bald.

Many factors here
1. What are the tire specs? size? Tread wear #?
2. If the dealer did not rotate them, it would not show up on the receipt. Did you ask them to rotate them? Did you check your paperwork to see it was being done?
3. Tires are wear items. If they are wearing evenly, but fast, what do you want the dealer/ tire guys to do? How do they know you are not doing burn outs? Swapping them on to another car? Warranties cover defects, not wear.

Yeah - im doing burnouts in the Pacifica ::roll eyes::

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know these things don't come with an owner's manual, but do they come with a bundle of tire warranty info? Can't speak to the tread depth and whether your tires were rotated or not, but they should be covered (or at least prorated) for a defect. Did you ever have a puncture and use a tire foam/tire slime product? Those will cause a balance/noise issue.

Bridgestone says no mileage warranty on OEM tires. Chrysler says 12 months or 12k miles. They told me - too bad... lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
My Michelin's have 29,000km and are really looking good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2017 Touring L with 17 inch wheels that came with Yokohama Avid tires. At 45,000 miles it looks like they will last to a least 60,000 miles.
I have the 17" steel wheels on the L with these tires. THey seem to we wearing great. Had to replace one and was surprised how cheap they were as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heavy? I had a 2008 Chrysler 300C with the hemi. It weighed 4300 pounds, the same weight as my 2018 Chrysler Pacifica(non hybrid). I put 90000 miles on a set of Michelin MXV4 tires on the 300. And the tires still had plenty of tread left. Why would the Pacifica be any different?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Heavy? I had a 2008 Chrysler 300C with the hemi. It weighed 4300 pounds, the same weight as my 2018 Chrysler Pacifica(non hybrid). I put 90000 miles on a set of Michelin MXV4 tires on the 300. And the tires still had plenty of tread left. Why would the Pacifica be any different?
Because a van carries more of a load (people, gear) and has a much higher center of gravity.
Take a hard corner in a 300C, then take the same corner at the same speed with a Pacifica and you will find the tires on the van will be screeching and scrubbing.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Am I the only one that looks forward to replacing tires on our cars? Usually, OEM tires are chosen for profit. So I like when I have a choice in replacements as there are so many to choose from and a lot with new technology. Unfortunately, the Kumho Solus that came with our Pac don't look anywhere needing replacement.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Because a 300c is a rear wheel drive car, and hence spreads the work load of powering, steering, and braking the car across all four tires. The Pacifica is front wheel drive, with a heavy front weight bias, and uses the front tires to power, steer and (mostly) brake the van. So the front tires take a real beating while the rears are just along for the ride.

The MXV4 carries a 60k mile treadwear warranty. Are you sure you got more than 150% of the miles out of them? I have never heard of such a thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts