2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This minivan is only three years old and there is no AC! it blows hot air. I took it to a local car place they say it will not talk to the computer. they cannot figure out what is wrong with it they tried recharging it that was not it they don’t believe that it could be the compressor because it is only three years old but just old enough to not be under warranty. they are going to try to change the air compressor and see if that does it. I miss my old van. After googling I am noticing that a lot of these 2017 vehicles are not having proper AC I’m so frustrated

·
Registered
496 Posts
Your local car place seems over its head on A/C. It is easy to test if a compressor works by measuring temperatures of freon in and out - a compressor should only be replaced when it is known to not be working, not as a diagnostic.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
76 Posts
Your van technology is well beyond the capabilities of the average mechanic, so they will guess and poke around wasting your $ with limited success. Chrysler Dealership Tech's have specialized diagnostic tools and training that others don't. Aside from replacing brakes, tires and struts, local shops should not be used to repair your Pacifica. If you get oil changes in a place other than a dealership, you are risking forfeiture of your extended powertrain warranty if the engine fails.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This minivan is only three years old and there is no AC! it blows hot air. I took it to a local car place they say it will not talk to the computer. they cannot figure out what is wrong with it they tried recharging it that was not it they don’t believe that it could be the compressor because it is only three years old but just old enough to not be under warranty. they are going to try to change the air compressor and see if that does it. I miss my old van. After googling I am noticing that a lot of these 2017 vehicles are not having proper AC I’m so frustrated
My 2017 Pacifica air conditioning also stopped working 4 days ago. UNBELIEVABLE for a four-year-old car. No warning. Living in Florida with average afternoon temps of 100 degrees and air not working is nuts! Having to replace the compressor. Not a cheap repair. Wondering how many other Pacifica owners are having the same problem?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
484 Posts
Wondering how many other Pacifica owners are having the same problem?
It would not just be Pacifica owners. Why do you thing there are shops that focus on A/C repairs. Mechanical things wear down and break.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you get oil changes in a place other than a dealership, you are risking forfeiture of your extended powertrain warranty if the engine fails.
Lets clarify this with reality please...

IF you get ANY work done to your car outside a dealership, and something goes wrong that Chrysler CAN DIRECTLY CORRELATE AS A RESULT OF SAID OUTSIDE WORK, then you risk no coverage.

But that is standard for ALL car warranties.

Don't make it sound FAR worse than it is- you must have a dealer in your ear. You are 100% fine getting oil changes NOT at the dealership and risk NOTHING doing so.

Draining oil and putting some back in isn't rocket science...

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
76 Posts
Lets clarify this with reality please...

IF you get ANY work done to your car outside a dealership, and something goes wrong that Chrysler CAN DIRECTLY CORRELATE AS A RESULT OF SAID OUTSIDE WORK, then you risk no coverage.

But that is standard for ALL car warranties.

Don't make it sound FAR worse than it is- you must have a dealer in your ear. You are 100% fine getting oil changes NOT at the dealership and risk NOTHING doing so.

Draining oil and putting some back in isn't rocket science...
Independent shops are fine for work that they are capable of doing, assuming it will not risk loss of warranty coverage. However in the case of troubleshooting A/C, it is clear to me that this A/C shop is not capable of diagnosing root cause for "no A/C function". Indy A/C shops are OK for servicing vehicles that have a slow freon leak. This causes the A/C performance to gradually degrade over many months or years. In the case of no A/C function, they do not have specialized Chrysler body electronics test equipment. The body computer has well over dozen sensor, fan function and control panel inputs that ALL must be working for the computer to enable engagement of the A/C clutch. Beyond checking for freon pressure, clutch function and seized compressor, a typical A/C shop will just scratch their head and guess. They are A/C hardware experts, not computer electronics experts. For this reason, they will waste your time and money.

Draining oil and putting some back is not the only requirement for warranty. If you expect a failed engine to be replaced under warranty, you must :

1) complete records of Chrysler dealer service for the oil changes over the life of the vehicle, or
2) complete records with Independent shop invoices showing work performed showing all mfr part numbers. If a single invoice is is missing the oil brand, type, API and viscosity and oil part# or some non-factory parts with the wrong specs were substituted, then you are subject to losing warranty and paying $15k out of pocket for an engine failure. This option can get extremely expensive with lawyer fees and such. This is why I take my car to the dealership for $50 oil changes every 9 mo or so. The parts alone cost $35, so the dealer labor fees costs roughly $20/yr. This is a negligible price to pay to maintain warranty for a $15k motor. If you choose to change oil yourself, you must save every single reciept for parts. The mfr can still dispute whether or not you preformed the work properly because backyard mechanics are not certified.

Note: people buying used cars often pay $2500 extra for a CPO warranty or aftermarket warranty. What they don't realize is the warranty is subject to forfeiture if factory service intervals are not followed or evidence of service is missing. Dealerships track what service history for the work they do. As soon as the warranty expires, I no longer bother going the dealer for oil changes.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
76 Posts
My 2017 Pacifica air conditioning also stopped working 4 days ago. UNBELIEVABLE for a four-year-old car. No warning. Living in Florida with average afternoon temps of 100 degrees and air not working is nuts! Having to replace the compressor. Not a cheap repair. Wondering how many other Pacifica owners are having the same problem?
Linda, what type of shop told you they would change the compressor and see if that fixes it?????? Run in the opposite direction. They have no clue.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
305 Posts
Your van technology is well beyond the capabilities of the average mechanic, so they will guess and poke around wasting your $ with limited success. Chrysler Dealership Tech's have specialized diagnostic tools and training that others don't. Aside from replacing brakes, tires and struts, local shops should not be used to repair your Pacifica. If you get oil changes in a place other than a dealership, you are risking forfeiture of your extended powertrain warranty if the engine fails.
Independent shops are fine for work that they are capable of doing, assuming it will not risk loss of warranty coverage. However in the case of troubleshooting A/C, it is clear to me that this A/C shop is not capable of diagnosing root cause for "no A/C function". Indy A/C shops are OK for servicing vehicles that have a slow freon leak. This causes the A/C performance to gradually degrade over many months or years. In the case of no A/C function, they do not have specialized Chrysler body electronics test equipment. The body computer has well over dozen sensor, fan function and control panel inputs that ALL must be working for the computer to enable engagement of the A/C clutch. Beyond checking for freon pressure, clutch function and seized compressor, a typical A/C shop will just scratch their head and guess. They are A/C hardware experts, not computer electronics experts. For this reason, they will waste your time and money.

Draining oil and putting some back is not the only requirement for warranty. If you expect a failed engine to be replaced under warranty, you must :

1) complete records of Chrysler dealer service for the oil changes over the life of the vehicle, or
2) complete records with Independent shop invoices showing work performed showing all mfr part numbers. If a single invoice is is missing the oil brand, type, API and viscosity and oil part# or some non-factory parts with the wrong specs were substituted, then you are subject to losing warranty and paying $15k out of pocket for an engine failure. This option can get extremely expensive with lawyer fees and such. This is why I take my car to the dealership for $50 oil changes every 9 mo or so. The parts alone cost $35, so the dealer labor fees costs roughly $20/yr. This is a negligible price to pay to maintain warranty for a $15k motor. If you choose to change oil yourself, you must save every single reciept for parts. The mfr can still dispute whether or not you preformed the work properly because backyard mechanics are not certified.

Note: people buying used cars often pay $2500 extra for a CPO warranty or aftermarket warranty. What they don't realize is the warranty is subject to forfeiture if factory service intervals are not followed or evidence of service is missing. Dealerships track what service history for the work they do. As soon as the warranty expires, I no longer bother going the dealer for oil changes.
Linda, what type of shop told you they would change the compressor and see if that fixes it?????? Run in the opposite direction. They have no clue.
Please, stop the fear mongering. If YOU feel like the dealership is the one and only place YOU will to take your van for service & maintenance because it makes YOU feel all warm and fuzzy inside, that's your choice. Don't come on here to guilt trip/scare others because they choose not to. Yes, the Pacifica is a complex vehicle, but so are most other vehicles on the road made in the last 10-20 years. The Pacifica certainly isn't special in that regard. You're right that a dealership is probably best equipped to service their own brand of vehicles, but that doesn't mean that independent shops aren't equipped or qualified to work on them either. There are plenty of independent shop owners with car repair channels on YouTube that can attest to the latter.

Some members on here have had bad experiences with and/or lost faith in Chrysler's service personnel because they haven't been able to diagnose and repair their van despite having "specialized diagnostic tools and training that others don't" (myself included). Service manuals, TSBs, and a good mechanical & electrical aptitude alone go a long ways when it comes to working on these newer vehicles. I can't tell you how many times I've had a conversation with a "certified" tech that ended with something like "wow, I didn't know that." No matter how many certifications they have, there isn't a tech out there that knows all the answers and has all the solutions. Like most things, knowing where/how to find answers or how to figure things out for yourself when no service documentation is available (or when the available information clearly has errors) is also helpful.

I have always performed all of the maintenance on our vehicles and document it accordingly. A full synthetic oil change with an OEM oil filter costs closer to $70 at my local stealership after tax and shop fees. I can do it myself with appropriate oil and a good filter for less than half of that. Chrysler would need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that whatever work I did to my van or lack of maintenance caused the damage in the event of a disputed warranty claim. I'm OK with that and do my due diligence to ensure that doesn't happen.

All that being said, I must agree that in this particular case the shop might be in over their head. There isn't enough context here to say that definitively, but it seems that way based on what the OP stated in the first post.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
76 Posts
I must agree that in this particular case the shop might be in over their head. There isn't enough context here to say that definitively, but it seems that way based on what the OP stated in the first post.
Glad you agree.......lol

When it comes to warranty service Chrysler does NOT need to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. It is not a criminal case. If you do not have evidence of performing all factory specified preventive service then the manufacturer can reasonably attribute any related failures on neglect (you). Your warranty is forfeited. No small court will find in your favor without complete, documented evidence demonstrating you satisfied the mfr's service REQUIREMENTS. This is reality, not fear mongering. I know 2 people who experienced failed engines under warranty, and both were missing some evidence of oil changes. Both paid for replacement motors despite being under factory warranty. One was a fellow I work with, his Dodge Grand Caravan. 2001 3.3L, the other a 2003 BMW M5. The second guy, a very close friend, paid $23K for a motor replacement due to failed (wiped) main bearing that led to throwing a rod. This, after he paid top dollar for a CPO car! Both were backyard mechanics. That is when I stopped changing my oil under warranty to save a few bux. After warranty expires, I perform virtually ALL service, except auto transmission rebuilds and occasional sensor/control work that requires proprietary tools to diagnose. My vehicles typically last 250-300k mi. PS: Chrysler was right about the GC engine failure, as I know the owner failed to check his oil level and ran it dry. The BMW owner got ripped, as those engines had known issues with bearing failures.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits automakers from denying warranty coverage because you had work done elsewhere. That’s a settled issue.

You do need to be able to show that oil changes and so on were in fact done by somebody. A dated Walmart receipt for the oil and filter you put in yourself can be sufficient.
The reality is that blown engines under 36k is so exceptionally rare that it isn’t exactly surprising that your friends were missing some or all of their oil change receipts...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Glad you agree.......lol

When it comes to warranty service Chrysler does NOT need to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. It is not a criminal case. .
BUT - Changing of oil has ZERO to do with A/C, and if you had your A/C worked on by someone other than a dealer. it has nothing to do with an engine failure.
Warranty is not all or nothing.

A/C compressors, like starter motors, have random lifespans, in my personal experience, but an A/C leak is more common than a compressor failure.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
76 Posts
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits automakers from denying warranty coverage because you had work done elsewhere. That’s a settled issue.

You do need to be able to show that oil changes and so on were in fact done by somebody. A dated Walmart receipt for the oil and filter you put in yourself can be sufficient.
The reality is that blown engines under 36k is so exceptionally rare that it isn’t exactly surprising that your friends were missing some or all of their oil change receipts...
The 3/36 is bumper to bumper, not engine.
Failed engines are typically covered under powertrain warranty that is in effect for 5 to 10 yrs and 60-100k miles. Almost nobody keeps every single oil and filter receipt for that period without losing some. I tried once and failed, lost several. This is why I go to dealer only for oil changes. Many people buying used invest $1500-$2500 in an aftermarket warranty to cover their vehicles powertrain thru 70-100k mi. If they lose 1 receipt for an oil change it’s like flushing $1k+ because the M-M warranty Act won’t save you. Saving $30-50/yr in oil change labor isn’t worth forfeiting warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
76 Posts
Sorry for getting off track, but I'm well versed in A/C repair. I have over 100lbs of Freon, gauge sets and many tools for vehicles and home HVAC. My concern with your situation is based upon several factors. The indy shop you took your van to says they will "change the compressor and see if that does it". That is arbitrary and not recommended practice for several reasons. First of all, it's my opinion that they have no clue whether the compressor is bad. If they did, they would say so. Indy's providing quickie cost estimates like to blame the most expensive part (the compressor) without any evidence whatsoever. The condition of the compressor can be tested in a number of ways. If it turns freely then it is not seized preventing the system from turning on. And if the compressor was not seized and gradually failing it would be producing cold air but sound very noisy. If the compressor is genuinely seized the serpentine belt would be squealing or trying to fly off when you activate the A/C.. And if the compressor was noisy and legitimately failing the discharge outlet tube would be filled with black soot from ground metal. this debris would also be in your dessicant filter and possibly clogging your expansion valve and condensor coil assembly. No good shop changes a compressor without inspecting and replacing a lot of these other parts. In my opinion your shop does not know why the compressor clutch is not activating. The best place to determine that is the dealership. You more than likely have a sensor or wiring or fan issue which will show on their diagnostic tools, but is preventing the compressor clutch from getting 12v to engage. Compressor shaft can be turned by hand, or a tech can bypass all control electroncs by connecting hi and lo gauges, and applying 12 volts to the clutch assy to if the system blows cold air. They could safely test for 30 min or more this way. But do yourself a favor and take it to a dealership for A/C compressor and electronics controls troubleshooting. A $15 low pressure sensor or $100 cooling fan, or $20 resistor pack, or $2 fuse or $50 control buutton or $5 connector can disable the whole system from running!!!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem and the dealership is doing nothing but changing parts and can't figure it out either my van is also just over 3 years old

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
76 Posts
I am having the same problem and the dealership is doing nothing but changing parts and can't figure it out either my van is also just over 3 years old
Sorry to hear. The easiest way to troubleshoot "no A/C" or DOA function is to do the following;

1) PROVE that the A/C system itself is capable of producing cold air. This is done forcing the A/C clutch to engage with a 12v jumper. Engage the compressor clutch while verifying the low and hi pressure values are acceptable at idle. If this works for 10 min or so, then you can be sure that the problem is not hardware related, and the tech should proceed to step 2.
2) the hardware is OK, but something in the electronic control input or output system is not working right. This would be easily proven by confirming that the compressor clutch is not getting 12v to engage. Why? Well the system inputs are not being satisfied by high or low pressure sensors, or fan circuit has a problem or output to clutch is open, or fuses, or something else. If the system is satisfied and thinks it should output 12vdc to the clutch and fan assembly then there may be a bad wire to the a/c clutch assy. This is the stuff that takes some serious skill, service literature and test equipment to figure out.

Unfortunately some people blame a hardware (compressor etc) before proceeding to step 2. Other people may blame electronics without first proving the clutch and A/C system hardware is good. In either case, they may throw parts at the car on your wallet, without success. In systems that have automatic HVAC controls, there is an added level of complexity because the system must be properly detecting the temperature of the interior and calling for the A/C to operate. Most of the controls can be proven with factory chrysler test instrumentation. Good luck, can only imagine the pain in your wallet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Pacifica Limited 30,000 miles 2 weeks out of warranty same thing. If it wasnt for Covid 19 It would have been in warranty.
Stealership.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
907 Posts
There is a known issue with 2017 A/C compressors -- an intermittent short.

Check this thread and my post #51. This link will lead you to it -- youi have to click it to read whole thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
My AC just stopped working too. The dealer fixed it by replacing the compressor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Same here. Seems to be a relatively common issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts