2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't like to complain because I understand there may be less staff at the service center lately with everything going on, but what we've been put through in the past week is such poor service on so many levels that I figured I'd share our story here to hopefully find someone that knows what may be wrong or give us some other advice.

1. March 19: We drop off our 2017 Pacifica Hybrid at a dealership up in Sunnyvale (had no heat + engine light on + touchscreen not responding). We purposely avoided the Steven's Creek dealership initially because it has something like 2/5 stars.

2. At the Sunnyvale dealership, we go over the fact that there is no heat, the central touch screen doesn't work/respond and the engine light is on. They sell us on the 20k mile "inspection" w new air filter for $200+. Ok, we say and they say that they will let us know when the car is ready "that afternoon". No call, so we call them before they close to ask if everything is ok....

3. 30 minutes on hold - and they say that in fact, they can't service this car since it's a hybrid...so we have to come in and transfer it to Stevens Creek...but, of course, they were able to get the $200+ inspection done and charge us for that.

4. Friday, March 20: We transfer it to Steven's Creek and are told it will be serviced with priority...no call by end of day Friday so we call Saturday and they say that "the person that services these is not coming in until Monday"...ok.

5. Monday, March 23: No updates all day again. So we call Monday afternoon and are put on hold for 30+ minutes. Finally, get through. Still not ready.

6. Tuesday, March 24: We call and they say "there are a lot of wires..." and they need more time.

7. Today, March 25...still are working on it and every time we call we have to sit on hold for 30+ minutes

At this point, it's clear to me that they have no clue what is wrong with the car and are likely doing more damage to it than actually fixing.

I just called Chrysler Care and they are understaffed because of the virus so we may not be called back until this Friday.

We love the car but at this point with the 2 recalls and now this nightmare all under 3 years of owning it I'm starting to really regret getting the purchase... luckily my wife is home from work so we can (barely) manage with 1 car with the 3 kids, but we will eventually need it once she starts going back to the office.

Does anyone know what other options we have to try and help them dealership figure this out? has anyone ever heard of this no heat/engine light issue related to the electrical (maybe)?

Thank you,
Patrick

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hmm, seems like a dealership issue and bad timing . The recalls really have no bearing on the aforementioned condition . Probably should have called prior to booking that they have a tech to work on the ehybrid . When called you and advised you of no tech I would have taken it to other dealer myself . Also beat in mind that you’d have to wait at other dealer due to their schedule .

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yeah Patrick, this is the worst timing to try and fix your vehicle. Most of the country is shutting down and people are barely making a living these days which puts you as a paying customer at risk.

These are not the easiest vehicles to fix for Chrysler dealers and it should be expected they will have to create a star case (technical support) for diagnostics and even just for authorization to order parts. Once a Star case is open they are obligated to do anything the support worker deems necessary and report back - so regardless of whatever a service advisor promises you, this takes time that’s outside of normal work flow and the advisor likely isnt aware of this so ignore the optimistic promises and expect a week as the norm, if you get it faster than bonus.

I’m not sure what you do for a living, but imagine that one task everyone has that they are qualified to do, but have little experience doing - The majority of the eHybrid techs are in this boat because they work on ICE units day in, day out - those are the bread and butter, and each time a hybrid comes along (which is rare with around 1% of the production run for chrysler) they get the opportunity to be challenged and learn something for the next time. Which is the same way techs build a career fixing ICE vehicles, the more they fix the better they get.. You can be the best trained technician in the shop, but if you’ve never done the work - you have no experience. The techs typically have to ask support for direction based on the factory repair database on the specific fault codes stored (Ie: what parts fixed the fault codes in other vehicles, then confirm that the symptoms match between vehicles (which sometimes they dont do very accurately) before fixing your vehicle. Corporate deals with every hybrid failure and they are the ones with the knowledge of what parts fix what problems that have occurred so far since product launch to present day. If the problem is new to them, they will have to take the time to work through and solve the issue from scratch. This technical support guys are usually working from all over the county, so repair times are going to be affected by the current shutdowns due to the virus.

I went through this learning curve with BMW back in 2012 when the i3 was launched. It will get better I expect as more units sell, but not without more volume. At BMW we dont need support cases anymore to fix EV or hybrid vehicles unless expensive parts are needed and these require authorization. We see enough volume now to understand the vehicles intimately.

Sorry for your trouble. I’d suggest you get an OBD scanner, or even better alfaOBD which reads out much more info than just faults.. then post the codes to the forum and at the very least we can all review what we know and provide the factory fault code information. This cant replace a dealer visit, but you will go in knowing a bit more, will be able to answer the advisors questions, and be armed with a bullshit detector.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Agreed and couldn’t said it better , a little bit of knowledge equates to leaps and bounds of poor dealer service / experience. ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Patrick, this is the worst timing to try and fix your vehicle. Most of the country is shutting down and people are barely making a living these days which puts you as a paying customer at risk.

View attachment 43412

These are not the easiest vehicles to fix for chrysler dealers and it should be expected they will have to create a star case (technical support) for diagnosing and even authorization to repair it, Then they will have to do anything the support worker deems necessary and report back to them - regardless of whatever a service advisor promises you, this takes time - you should expect a week as the norm, if you get it faster than bonus.

I’m not sure what you do for a living, but imagine that one task everyone has that they are qualified to do, but have little experience doing it - The majority of the eHybrid techs are in this boat because they work on ICE units day in, day out - those are the bread and butter, and each time a hybrid comes along (which is rare with around 1% of the production run for chrysler) they get the opportunity to be challenged and learn something for the next time. Which is the same way they build a career fixing ICE vehicles by fixing them all day. You can be the best technician in the shop, but if you’ve never done the work - you have no experience. They typically have to ask Support for the repair history on the faults (what parts fixed the problem historically, then confirm that its the same situation which sometimes they dont do very accurately) Corporate deals with every hybrid failure and they are the ones with the knowledge of what fixes what problems that they have seen so far at this point and this is all going to be affected by the current shutdowns due to the virus.

I went through this learning curve with BMW back in 2012 when the i3 was launched. It will get better I expect as more units sell, but not without more volume. We dont need support cases anymore to fix EVor hybrid vehicles unless an expensive part needs authorization.

Sorry for your trouble. I’d suggest get an OBD scanner, or better alfaOBD to read out much more info.. post the codes to the forum and at the least we can all review what we know and pull the factory fault code information. This cant replace a dealer visit, but you will go in knowing a bit more and will know what to tell the advisor, and be armed with a bullshit detector.
Thanks for the detailed response. Totally understood if they can't fix it fast (especially now), but it's really more a question of communication. I wish they had just told us when the right person would be working instead of us having to drop it off at 2 different dealerships and wait on hold every day for 20-45min for over a week now because they have no proactive messaging/outreach.

Just spoke w them on the phone just now and they have opened a case with corporate as well because they have exhausted everything they know / the code charts, etc... anyways, we'll see...hopefully this ends soon.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If had the car you could put a scan tool it and get a code . Engine light on really isn’t a bad thing , it’s bad when it starts to blink . If car ran on ice motor would it give heat , I know it has a electric heater also . If you disconnect the battery and code reappears it’s a hard code ba soft one .

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. Totally understood if they can't fix it fast (especially now), but it's really more a question of communication. I wish they had just told us when the right person would be working instead of us having to drop it off at 2 different dealerships and wait on hold every day for 20-45min for over a week now because they have no proactive messaging/outreach.

Just spoke w them on the phone just now and they have opened a case with corporate as well because they have exhausted everything they know / the code charts, etc... anyways, we'll see...hopefully this ends soon.
Yeah its super frustrating.. I’m pretty chill with bad news but have a hard time with no communication too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I don't like to complain because I understand there may be less staff at the service center lately with everything going on, but what we've been put through in the past week is such poor service on so many levels that I figured I'd share our story here to hopefully find someone that knows what may be wrong or give us some other advice.

1. March 19: We drop off our 2017 Pacifica Hybrid at a dealership up in Sunnyvale (had no heat + engine light on + touchscreen not responding). We purposely avoided the Steven's Creek dealership initially because it has something like 2/5 stars.

2. At the Sunnyvale dealership, we go over the fact that there is no heat, the central touch screen doesn't work/respond and the engine light is on. They sell us on the 20k mile "inspection" w new air filter for $200+. Ok, we say and they say that they will let us know when the car is ready "that afternoon". No call, so we call them before they close to ask if everything is ok....

3. 30 minutes on hold - and they say that in fact, they can't service this car since it's a hybrid...so we have to come in and transfer it to Stevens Creek...but, of course, they were able to get the $200+ inspection done and charge us for that.

4. Friday, March 20: We transfer it to Steven's Creek and are told it will be serviced with priority...no call by end of day Friday so we call Saturday and they say that "the person that services these is not coming in until Monday"...ok.

5. Monday, March 23: No updates all day again. So we call Monday afternoon and are put on hold for 30+ minutes. Finally, get through. Still not ready.

6. Tuesday, March 24: We call and they say "there are a lot of wires..." and they need more time.

7. Today, March 25...still are working on it and every time we call we have to sit on hold for 30+ minutes

At this point, it's clear to me that they have no clue what is wrong with the car and are likely doing more damage to it than actually fixing.

I just called Chrysler Care and they are understaffed because of the virus so we may not be called back until this Friday.

We love the car but at this point with the 2 recalls and now this nightmare all under 3 years of owning it I'm starting to really regret getting the purchase... luckily my wife is home from work so we can (barely) manage with 1 car with the 3 kids, but we will eventually need it once she starts going back to the office.

Does anyone know what other options we have to try and help them dealership figure this out? has anyone ever heard of this no heat/engine light issue related to the electrical (maybe)?

Thank you,
Patrick
So just for your information the problem with your car is a separate heater circuit that operates when on battery power because coolant is not hot. And when it happened to me the light came on. Dealer did not have the part and it was back ordered. Dealer, was the place I bought it, so they gave me a loaner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts