1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I installed this rubber seal strip in my front doors and the in part of the back tailgate and oh yeah, yon can feel the difference. A lot less road noise inside of the van.

https://amzn.to/2I64zXW
If you get a chance could you post some photos of the placement of your install? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
yeah im curious as how you did it, theres already seals around them so i dont get how it would help?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll post them tomorrow. My guess is that two layers of sealing work better than one.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nice job Citanic, approximately how many feet of the rubber seal strip did you use?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well done! Just something to keep in mind with the double seals, make sure that water can't be trapped and that it can dry out.

Reactions: Longtimemopar

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
30 feet gave me enough for the front two doors and the back gate which I did not do all the way around because I was afraid that it would not close automatically if some more tension was added because of the extra sealing. I did not do the two back sliding doors for same reason.

You will notice the difference when you are closing the front doors and when you are driving at low speed. The cabin is low quieter. With what is left I'm thinking to use some to put it in the glove compartment to diminish vibration there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done! Just something to keep in mind with the double seals, make sure that water can't be trapped and that it can dry out.
Correct. That's why in the tail gate I used only in the top but left the bottom of the door open. The gate design sucks. It's open on the top and the water goes in and down around the current factory sealing ending in dirt in the places it drain at the bottom of the gate. I'm driving off road sometimes and the dust is getting in all that space something that I hate.

Anyway, I'm keeping the eye opened in case water get trapped somewhere. Making just a gap in the seal will help with that and still give you a good sound isolation.

Reactions: Frig

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the door on my PacHy already has two rubber seals.
Mine too. . .

The ones you are talking about are the ones in red in this picture. The ones in blue are the ones that l installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you Citanic! Your noise reduction efforts really work to reduce the overall rumble/wind noise of an already quiet van. Was made aware of this when I took my "modified" Touring L for service (A/C condenser) and the dealer loaned me a 2019 Touring L. At first I thought that the OEM Yoko tires vs the Michelin Defender LTX on mine accounted for the noise difference, but I noticed how much more wind noise there was in the loaner at freeway speeds.

Simple, cheap and effective -- the best kind of mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you sure it is not placebo effect? If you check carefully the strip you added is not compressed between any door panels to form a seal. How is that going to benefit in noise reduction?

I am quite interested when first read this post but after checking the doors I have big doubt.:nerd:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Something tells me that the noise your getting isn’t from the front doors . The wind noise will be from the rear doors ( side ) as the opening is in a backward motion and the wind when moving forward flows past the door gaps. I have zero noise in my Pacifica. The front doors are sealed extremely well and I’m assuming there’s a ton of sound deadener in the front wheel wells . Tire and sound noise from inner front fenders is usually the biggest culprit of tire noise aside from the type of road ones driving on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else had done this too, and seems I am not the only one.

I've also sealed every door gap on my van, hood and the rear gate.. and after this the cabin noise reduction at speed was noticeable, especially at highway speeds. The Limited also has the acoustic windshield so the front of the van is dead silent now, the loudest interior noise is the fan noise coming from the interior vents..

The hood was done to keep the engine compartment sparking clean during winter, so water salt spray doesn't go in... and then it should help a little bit in the aerodynamics department.

I've also added a couple of dynamat engine sound deadener to the firewall, while its not much, every bit helps. There is some deadening foam in the van front panels, but some of it wasn't installed very well so I placed it on the holes where it should've been, and I think it could use some more dynamat deadening across the entire van.

I also sealed where the sliding doors meets the front door on mine, the seal is tight but not too tight and the doors close perfect, and seals perfect. So, most of the noise I hear now while seating in the 2nd row is coming from the actual window glass itself, the rest of the van is dead silent. Not much I can do to make the window noise go away, short of buying acoustic glass for the windows... not sure if anybody even makes that...

Also noticed the underside of the van is quite rough, lots of places for the air to create turbulence, so I will be adding a floor tray using coroplast sheets to make the entire undercarriage flat and smooth so all that turbulence noise from underneath will be gone, plus it will help the undercarriage stay clean while helping aerodynamics too.

I haven't taken the wheel wells apart, yet.... and while my 2020 is quite silent in regards to wheel noise, however, this will be my long distance hauler and I want dead quiet long trips... so if I need to add another 20-30 lbs worth of sound deadening material to make the van quieter than a recording studio room, it shall be done...

I got all my seals/weatherstrips from Menards, its rated for marine usage, so it should last quite a bit. I used different types of weatherstrips for different places...

G.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Used a pack of the amazon stripping citanic suggested as well as shield. We will see (road trip thursday..). Thanks for the pictures and advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts