2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wonder why they continue to piece-meal options to the Hybrid. My work fleet got a '17 Hybrid when they came out, fully optioned and I was shocked that there was no memory seats and Homelink. It took two model years for both of those to appear. Still no HIDs.
I would guess this is a by-product of the PacHy using the strippo Pacifica 'L' as its basis (as was stated by the PacHy chief engineer in a podcast video). It would go a long way to understanding the inexplicable absence of things that are standard on the gas models (particularly the Limited).

Unfortunately, the engineer did not state the 'reason' the PacHy is based off the Pacifica 'L'. I'm going to guess it's due to the basic architecture of the 'L', i.e., the absence of Stow n'Go seating on that model (the 'L' has a bench middle seat). It's just simply much easier to convert a non-Stow n'Go Pacifica to a PHEV than one of the higher-trim models. But the trade-off is some of the included features of the upper-trim models end up going missing, too.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I would guess this is a by-product of the PacHy using the strippo Pacifica 'L' as its basis (as was stated by the PacHy chief engineer in a podcast video). It would go a long way to understanding the inexplicable absence of things that are standard on the gas models (particularly the Limited).

Unfortunately, the engineer did not state the 'reason' the PacHy is based off the Pacifica 'L'. I'm going to guess it's due to the basic architecture of the 'L', i.e., the absence of Stow n'Go seating on that model (the 'L' has a bench middle seat). It's just simply much easier to convert a non-Stow n'Go Pacifica to a PHEV than one of the higher-trim models. But the trade-off is some of the included features of the upper-trim models end up going missing, too.

Of course someone has to pay for the price of the battery isn’t it. The only other thing different from the gas version is the transmission. With engine being the same, it’s going to be very difficult for them to price both models the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Or just wait 10 years from now and you will be able to buy a used one for $1,000.

I will not dispute this statement since the battery tech is evolving rapidly and who knows in 10 years the “normal “ range for an EV may be well over 1000 miles. (Okay just hoping..... ). Of course all of our current cars (hybrids or gassers) can be had for $1000 then. :D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts

This makes a lot of sense. Watch, next MY the Xenons will be available. Year after that, probably 20in wheels or the vacuum.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The 12v battery takes place of the vacuum, no way they can get it in. HIDs is another story, they might finally include them. I also wish they would add all internal lights from the gas Limited. I thought about retrofitting them and check the harnesses. They had no wires or connectors for the absent lamps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've noticed that Illinois Chrysler dealers really don't have many PacHy's in stock. They have a full rainbow assortment of gas powered Pacifica's but not many Hybrids.
It's not as though they are pre-selling them and just delivering them when they arrive. Is it a lack of profitability? Are they difficult to maintain in inventory? Is there a lack of interest by vehicle shoppers?
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I just checked the inventory on my dealership's website. 22 ICE Pacificas. 24 Pacifica Hybrids. Regarding Pacificas in the wild, I see more Hybrids than ICE's.

Can't think of any place in the U.S. where these observations would be more likely. Pretty sure you'll also see more Teslas here than anywhere else in the world.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I just checked the inventory on my dealership's website. 22 ICE Pacificas. 24 Pacifica Hybrids. Regarding Pacificas in the wild, I see more Hybrids than ICE's.

Can't think of any place in the U.S. where these observations would be more likely. Pretty sure you'll also see more Teslas here than anywhere else in the world.
Seems like I once read that the Prius was the number one selling Toyota in California, as well. None of this should come as a surprise in the state with the most stringent emission standards, as well as the highest fuel prices.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This makes a lot of sense. Watch, next MY the Xenons will be available. Year after that, probably 20in wheels or the vacuum.
That's where I'd put my money.

But, like stop-eject said, the vacuum is a no-go for any year. To do that, they'd have to find another place for the 12v battery and I'm just not feeling that ever happening.

I mean, if they could have figured out someplace else to put the 12v, wouldn't they have done it in the first place? Running the wiring all the way back to the rear of the vehicle sounds like something they wouldn't have done unless there was absolutely no other place to put it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 12v battery takes place of the vacuum, no way they can get it in. HIDs is another story, they might finally include them. I also wish they would add all internal lights from the gas Limited. I thought about retrofitting them and check the harnesses. They had no wires or connectors for the absent lamps.
what are these internal lights are you referring to? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've noticed that Illinois Chrysler dealers really don't have many PacHy's in stock. They have a full rainbow assortment of gas powered Pacifica's but not many Hybrids.
It's not as though they are pre-selling them and just delivering them when they arrive. Is it a lack of profitability? Are they difficult to maintain in inventory? Is there a lack of interest by vehicle shoppers?
Some are currently not available for sale due to the V15 recall.

I am shopping for one now from Ohio - about 3 weeks ago, I had bookmarked about 15 vehicles I would be interested in. A couple of days later they had all disappeared from Chrysler.com and from the dealer's websites. One dealer I had already been talking to was kind enough to inform me they have all been pulled offline until the recall is complete as they are not allowed to sell them until it is.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My dealer in Hampshire Illinois did not seem interested in even selling one to me last year when I was looking. They are a smaller shop and I am guessing that they were not interested yet in dealing with Hybrid technology. Thus hey had nothing to show last year when I was shopping.

I own a gasser (wanted a hybrid but am not an early adopter) but I live in northern Illinois. Trying to drive all electric while heating the batteries and the interior, defrosting an iced up vehicle and lack of Stow and Go put me off until a later itteration of the van.

I can see why they would be more popular and useful in warmer climates. We were out in San Francisco recently and did see more Pachys there than we ever would see here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Some are currently not available for sale due to the V15 recall.

I am shopping for one now from Ohio - about 3 weeks ago, I had bookmarked about 15 vehicles I would be interested in. A couple of days later they had all disappeared from Chrysler.com and from the dealer's websites. One dealer I had already been talking to was kind enough to inform me they have all been pulled offline until the recall is complete as they are not allowed to sell them until it is.
Interesting. I read that the V15 recall is not scheduled to actually begin until April 19, 2019 (probably need to build up adequate part supplies). Not too serious for us to drive around until then, but it still makes sense they've stopped sales until they can get all current stock modified.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
T I also wish they would add all internal lights from the gas Limited. I thought about retrofitting them and check the harnesses. They had no wires or connectors for the absent lamps.
The missing HIDs were well known, but didn't know that the interior LED lights were missing too in the Pachy. That's truly atrocious.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No. I still like the way electric cars drive. I never liked automatics because of the feeling of disconnect between engine and wheels. The tax credits bring the price down to reasonable levels.
there are massive discounts from Chrysler / Dealers on the Gasser limited that bring it to about the same price as Hybrid with Federal Tax included ...

so they both cost the same except with Gasser you get discount from dealer and with Hybrid you get federal tax credit ...

the difference is if the Gasser breaks it will probably be repaired in 6 days not 6 weeks and it has HID headlights.

i was actually telling myself i can live without HID headlights ( it is expensive tech, i can understand why they skipped it ) but no glove box light ? how much did they save - a dollar ? that just makes no sense to me - it's like no power seats on the Chevy Volt - the entire point of PacHy to me was that it is NOT like Chevy Volt where you have to sacrifice everything for the plug - the idea was that it's just like a normal car but with a plug - then you learn you lose this and that and when you realize they went so far as to save one dollar on removing the light in the glove box it makes you pause and think ... is it really that different from Chevy Volt situation ?

anyway thank you for your honest opinion i do understand how not having that ZF 9 speed may be worth the missing glove box light to some ...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts