2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Not many PacHy's in stock

10K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  stop-eject 
#1 ·
I've noticed that Illinois Chrysler dealers really don't have many PacHy's in stock. They have a full rainbow assortment of gas powered Pacifica's but not many Hybrids.
It's not as though they are pre-selling them and just delivering them when they arrive. Is it a lack of profitability? Are they difficult to maintain in inventory? Is there a lack of interest by vehicle shoppers?

#3 ·
Yes, no surprise. FCA sells 10,000 gas pacificas/mo in the US. Conversely, it sells less than 600/mo of PacHys. Given FCA's 2,500+ dealerships nationwide, that means a dealer might see 3 PacHys during the entire year. Throw in a few dealers like Gilroy, Huntington Beach, etc that sell hundreds of PacHys every year, and that means even fewer to go around for the rest of the country.

And absolutely FCA isn't making much on the PacHy. Throw in the HV battery, EV motors, regen braking, PIM, hybrid tranny, HV wiring, HV heat/coolant system, DC-DC converter, charge port, on-board charger, and engineering costs... these are all costs the regular Pacifica does not have. And they're not cheap. And considering the MSRPs are almost equal, it's obvious there are very little margins on the PacHy.

A primary reason for the PacHy's existence is to reduce FCA's exposure to fuel economy requirements, which it's already paying millions in fines for non compliance. If each PacHy reduces its penalties and credit purchases from other manufactures, selling at a loss isn't such a bad idea.

Besides low production, there's also the fact many of the gas trims can be had for much less than even the base PacHy trim. And given the target market of average families, paying $37+k is out of range for most (versus, say, a $24k gasser). But only FCA knows how it's trying to balance the much more profitable gas pacifica with profit, interest, and sales of the PacHy.

Links:
FCA fuel penalties
Gas Pacifica US Sales
PacHy US Sales

#5 ·
Agree with all the above - except that if you factor in the $7500 tax credit, a Pachy Limited is actually cheaper than a same-equipped Gas Limited. I've done the math every which way and even taking into account the 0% offers for the Gas versions as well as increased incentives for those, the Hybrid wins out.

#4 ·
Didn't Waymo order a ton of PacHys? Maybe that's where they are going?

#7 ·
In Texas, you can get the $7500 Fed credit AND a Tx TCEQ grant for $2500. That's almost $10,000 off the drive-off price. I say "almost" because the TCEQ grant is not a tax rebate, and is thus federally taxable as miscellaneous income. I did this with my Oct 2018 PacHy purchase. It takes 2-3 months after you file the TCEQ papers to get your check. The paperwork was pretty minimal.

#10 · (Edited)
Yep it's a screaming deal for us in Texas. (Which is weird considering how oil-based this state is, vs electricity.) I just filed this week; am very nervous as there are only 116 rebates available as of this morning. It's supposed to last until May 31st or until 2000 rebates have been claimed.

You still can't get HID headlights in the Hybrid. Until the 2019 MY, you couldn't get power folding side mirrors, memory seats, Auto Advance n Return in the Hybrid.
I wonder why they continue to piece-meal options to the Hybrid. My work fleet got a '17 Hybrid when they came out, fully optioned and I was shocked that there was no memory seats and Homelink. It took two model years for both of those to appear. Still no HIDs.

What is Auto Advance n Return?
It's an easy access function available for memory seats - when you shut the car off, it slides the seats back automatically for easy exit. When you start it, it goes back to where you last had it. Really neat.

#18 ·
I think there are a few factors going on. First, many people don’t want to give up the Stow-&-Go second row seats which is a huge feature of the Pacifica. Second, this is a PHEV and a big benefit to that is plugging it in and getting up 32 miles on electricity alone, but many folks either don’t have that convenience of a plug nearby or just don’t want to bother. Thirdly, here in California most of our electricity is from “clean” sources (hydro-electricity), not so in many other areas in the east and mid-west. And the consumer cost, while not cheap, is often less than other parts of the country.

BTW; I just checked the dealer nearby us where I got my gas 2017 Pacifica Limited and they currently have 9 PHEVs in stock (Tuttle-Click Chrysler in Irvine, CA - Orange County). But then we are a huge target market for EVs and PHEVs. Teslas and EVs in general are very common here.

#23 ·
Or just wait 10 years from now and you will be able to buy a used one for $1,000.

I will not dispute this statement since the battery tech is evolving rapidly and who knows in 10 years the “normal “ range for an EV may be well over 1000 miles. (Okay just hoping..... ). Of course all of our current cars (hybrids or gassers) can be had for $1000 then. :D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cornfield
#25 ·
The 12v battery takes place of the vacuum, no way they can get it in. HIDs is another story, they might finally include them. I also wish they would add all internal lights from the gas Limited. I thought about retrofitting them and check the harnesses. They had no wires or connectors for the absent lamps.

#26 ·
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I just checked the inventory on my dealership's website. 22 ICE Pacificas. 24 Pacifica Hybrids. Regarding Pacificas in the wild, I see more Hybrids than ICE's.

Can't think of any place in the U.S. where these observations would be more likely. Pretty sure you'll also see more Teslas here than anywhere else in the world.

#27 ·
Seems like I once read that the Prius was the number one selling Toyota in California, as well. None of this should come as a surprise in the state with the most stringent emission standards, as well as the highest fuel prices.

#31 ·
Some are currently not available for sale due to the V15 recall.

I am shopping for one now from Ohio - about 3 weeks ago, I had bookmarked about 15 vehicles I would be interested in. A couple of days later they had all disappeared from Chrysler.com and from the dealer's websites. One dealer I had already been talking to was kind enough to inform me they have all been pulled offline until the recall is complete as they are not allowed to sell them until it is.

#33 ·
Interesting. I read that the V15 recall is not scheduled to actually begin until April 19, 2019 (probably need to build up adequate part supplies). Not too serious for us to drive around until then, but it still makes sense they've stopped sales until they can get all current stock modified.

#32 ·
My dealer in Hampshire Illinois did not seem interested in even selling one to me last year when I was looking. They are a smaller shop and I am guessing that they were not interested yet in dealing with Hybrid technology. Thus hey had nothing to show last year when I was shopping.

I own a gasser (wanted a hybrid but am not an early adopter) but I live in northern Illinois. Trying to drive all electric while heating the batteries and the interior, defrosting an iced up vehicle and lack of Stow and Go put me off until a later itteration of the van.

I can see why they would be more popular and useful in warmer climates. We were out in San Francisco recently and did see more Pachys there than we ever would see here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.