2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping the PacHy Limited would get HID headlight, power third row seating, better electric only range etc. Instead it is getting one touch down switches for the back seat.
Yawn :frown2::frown2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was hoping the PacHy Limited would get HID headlight, power third row seating, better electric only range etc. Instead it is getting one touch down switches for the back seat.
Yawn :frown2::frown2:
On the bright side, no one will have to agonize over whether to buy a leftover 2019 for less than a 2020.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It would be interesting to know the conversation at Chrysler why HID lights were not incorporated. I am guessing cost related but really the HID are not that expensive anymore...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few that prefers manual 3rd row seats. Two pulls and the seats dump themselves into the floor quickly. Raising them is no big deal either. I'd rather do those than press and hold a button waiting for the seats to fold.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It would be interesting to know the conversation at Chrysler why HID lights were not incorporated. I am guessing cost related but really the HID are not that expensive anymore...
Actually I think the conversation was quite simple; delete anything from the gas pacifica platform that Waymo doesn't truly need.

I don't think consumers were ever the intended market for the hybrid, Waymo was. Consumer sales are just a bonus.

Google's last order alone was a few times more than was ever sold to consumers, and there's probably larger orders on the way. I'm thinking they deleted any features that an autonomous taxi wouldn't need and then marketed that to consumers as well. So things like a light in the glovebox or memory seats or power 3rd row would be nixed right away. Headlights aren't critical on autonomous vehicles so they're downgraded as well. Stow&go wouldn't be important to Waymo but comfy and roomy seats would be, so that's in the hybrids. Waymo doesn't want sunroofs, so no hybrids come with them standard. Etc etc...

Consumers balked at not having memory seats on a $50k car so Chrysler eventually relented there.

Waymo I'm sure wants greater electric range, but that's not critical to them at the moment since their test areas are relatively small. They might order a bunch of 2021 or 2022 Portals for the extended range but Pacifica's range will be fine for the short term.

Just my opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
449 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few that prefers manual 3rd row seats. Two pulls and the seats dump themselves into the floor quickly. Raising them is no big deal either. I'd rather do those than press and hold a button waiting for the seats to fold.
Yeah, slower, more complicated, and just not a benefit. I'm pretty happy not to have the power rear seat. It's a showroom feature that doesn't have a real-world purpose.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yeah, slower, more complicated, and just not a benefit. I'm pretty happy not to have the power rear seat. It's a showroom feature that doesn't have a real-world purpose.
Except maybe for smaller or weaker folks who cannot work it manually. But, yeah, for most of us there is no benefit.

One of the two times I used it (in a year and a half!), it did the famous sticking thing, and needed the software fix. So my endorsement is pretty tepid.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you’re too small or weak to work it, you’re probably too small or weak to reach a button. There’s very little strength or size required. You’re not lifting the seats, just tugging a strap that pivots them. Maybe 10lbs of pull.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I think the conversation was quite simple; delete anything from the gas pacifica platform that Waymo doesn't truly need.

I don't think consumers were ever the intended market for the hybrid, Waymo was. Consumer sales are just a bonus.

Google's last order alone was a few times more than was ever sold to consumers, and there's probably larger orders on the way. I'm thinking they deleted any features that an autonomous taxi wouldn't need and then marketed that to consumers as well. So things like a light in the glovebox or memory seats or power 3rd row would be nixed right away. Headlights aren't critical on autonomous vehicles so they're downgraded as well. Stow&go wouldn't be important to Waymo but comfy and roomy seats would be, so that's in the hybrids. Waymo doesn't want sunroofs, so no hybrids come with them standard. Etc etc...

Consumers balked at not having memory seats on a $50k car so Chrysler eventually relented there.

Waymo I'm sure wants greater electric range, but that's not critical to them at the moment since their test areas are relatively small. They might order a bunch of 2021 or 2022 Portals for the extended range but Pacifica's range will be fine for the short term.

Just my opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have you seen the specs on a Waymo van? I doubt that they get Limited versions. The PacHy Limited is as close as Chrysler can get to having a "Halo" car. I would imagine that they would want to get more of them into the hands of consumers as they bring up the MPG and lower emissions for the whole fleet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not to be picky, but you don't have to hold the button, just push it and the seats operate.
But I agree it's no big thing to manually operate them, and there is no problem of them getting stuck!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Have you seen the specs on a Waymo van? I doubt that they get Limited versions.
They are indeed Limited as evidenced by the chromed mirrors and the Theater screens. They even have the optional 18" wheels.

FCA got paid by the government to develop PacHy. Their R&D expenses don't impact the price as much as they do for other low volume cars. I can't understand why they decided to be so petty on things like the glove box light.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I can't understand why they decided to be so petty on things like the glove box light.
Would it be more understandable knowing that chrysler already had a single customer with a $2.5 billion dollar check, contingent upon the glove box light being nixed?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Would it be more understandable knowing that chrysler already had a single customer with a $2.5 billion dollar check, contingent upon the glove box light being nixed?
The premium wheels and heated steering wheel (in Arizona!) are OK, but the glove box light is a deal breaker?

·
Registered
702 Posts
The premium wheels and heated steering wheel (in Arizona!) are OK, but the glove box light is a deal breaker?
Premium wheels, maybe they felt executives going to the airport in a driverless waymo want to get into something premium looking? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regarding heated steering wheel, that's packaged with heated seats on the gas model, right? I'm guessing maybe it's easier to include it than to delete it, dunno.

That makes me wonder, are waymo's 2nd row seats heated? That would be a nice addition because presumably they would never be removed so they could have wiring attached, hmmm :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've read that bulbs that are more white than halogen are damaging to you eyes over time. LEDs come in different color temperatures including ones that are equivalent to Halogen (about 2700 degrees). Probably not so for HID.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put some hid 4300k in my limited and hid looking backup lights and it looks so nice. First upgrade I did and doing fogs next. Xentech are the bulbs that are a total oem pure white no blue. I used the ballast from a high end kit that came with 5k lights because it required no harness to the battery.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I put some hid 4300k in my limited and hid looking backup lights and it looks so nice. First upgrade I did and doing fogs next. Xentech are the bulbs that are a total oem pure white no blue. I used the ballast from a high end kit that came with 5k lights because it required no harness to the battery.
Which high end kit did you get the ballasts from?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts