2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took our car to the dealer for an oil change when I was out of town. They mistakenly didn’t tighten the oil filter correctly. Oil light came on on her way home. She texted the dealer and dealer said they just forgot to reset the light. No issue. She thought she heard some noises in the engine. Dealer said next time you’re around we can check it out. Then the sound got really bad. Took it to a local shop. No oil on the stick. Replenished the oil. Dealer is telling us, without even checking, that no damage occurred to the engine. What’s the likelihood that is true? The local service guy who listened to the engine before the oil was restored said that the engine was unlikely to last more than another three months. What’s the best way to check? Only had 25k miles. Should the dealer give us a new engine? What’s the right remedy? What more info can I give you to better answer the question? We usually keep our cars for 10 years or more and I don’t want the car to break down with my wife and kids in the car.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My wife took our car to the dealer for an oil change when I was out of town. They mistakenly didn’t tighten the oil filter correctly. Oil light came on on her way home. She texted the dealer and dealer said they just forgot to reset the light. No issue. She thought she heard some noises in the engine. Dealer said next time you’re around we can check it out. Then the sound got really bad. Took it to a local shop. No oil on the stick. Replenished the oil. Dealer is telling us, without even checking, that no damage occurred to the engine. What’s the likelihood that is true? The local service guy who listened to the engine before the oil was restored said that the engine was unlikely to last more than another three months. What’s the best way to check? Only had 25k miles. Should the dealer give us a new engine? What’s the right remedy? What more info can I give you to better answer the question? We usually keep our cars for 10 years or more and I don’t want the car to break down with my wife and kids in the car.
I would’ve had the oil and filter changed at another reputable shop and had the oil/filter analyzed for metal and other evidence of wear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hope the local guy you took it to got pictures of the engine compartment that showed the oil leaked out of filter housing. Get them to document what they saw and what they did in writing in case you need to go to court later. Also get the screen shots of the texts between you and the dealer. I would check the oil level every few days (depending on how much you drive) for the next couple of weeks to make sure it is not burning oil now. How much oil did they have to "replenish" it to get it back up to full?

M

·
0 Posts
There was obviously a miscommunication over the phone between your wife and the shop. Your wife saw a "oil pressure warning light", which is an emergency situation that requires the engine to immediately be turned off to avoid damage.

When she texted(?) the dealer, they thought she was talking about an "oil change is due" light.

Regardless of what she said that they said over the phone, no judge or jury is going to hold the dealership solely responsible for any damage that may have occurred to your vehicle, as the driver of the vehicle had the duty to limit/mitigate damage when they saw the warning light(s) and heard noises--even though the initial cause of the problem was an improperly installed oil filter.

I've seen cases like this from quick-lube places where oil wasn't put back into the car, or a drain plug wasn't tightened, or what-have-you. If it goes to mediation or court, this will be a shared responsibility issue. Just throwing that out there to help guide OP's decision-making in regards to this issue.

Hopefully the van is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are all excellent points. We did save the screen shots. We did get the service mechanic to write up what he saw. It was 5 quarts. Good points on the miscommunication too. The dealer worked with us to resolve the issue. Was tense for a bit but all worked out well. This is a great forum. Thanks again for the contributions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
These are all excellent points. We did save the screen shots. We did get the service mechanic to write up what he saw. It was 5 quarts. Good points on the miscommunication too. The dealer worked with us to resolve the issue. Was tense for a bit but all worked out well. This is a great forum. Thanks again for the contributions.
Thanks for following up with the reply and nice to learn that the dealer was helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts