2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
My van has a build date of January 2019 and went into FROM February 2019, 20 days after taking delivery. Sat on the dealer lot only overnight.
My point is that there is no good theory that fits all the data. Some of our speculation fits some of the data, that is true.

In any case, I do appreciate the feedback & thoughts. This forum has been incredibly helpful overall.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My van has a build date of January 2019 and went into FROM February 2019, 20 days after taking delivery. Sat on the dealer lot only overnight.
My point is that there is no good theory that fits all the data. Some of our speculation fits some of the data, that is true.

In any case, I do appreciate the feedback & thoughts. This forum has been incredibly helpful overall.
That certainly seems way too soon for FORM and doesn't fit the transit mode/dealer lot theory.

As an aside, what, exactly, does transit mode do and what would happen if a vehicle was delivered to a customer with transit mode not having been toggled off? Is there some way a customer would know their vehicle was still in transit mode? Seems like there was a report of transit mode somehow wreaking havoc with a PacHy.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Although my daily FORM events stopped completely, the latest refresh I had also raised questions. I checked my records, it happened 6 weeks after the previous fill up, which seems rather early. I went 10 weeks between the fill ups once. The manual states
If the vehicle
enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode, due to fuel which has been in the fuel tank for a long period of time (becoming stale fuel), the engine will run whenever the vehicle is operational (no electric only operation) until the low fuel level warning is activated. It is possible to exit the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode sooner by adding new fuel to the vehicle’s fuel tank.
I don't know what FCA considers "a long period of time", but I went 10 weeks between fill ups once before. Also the FORM didn't stop at the "low fuel" light, but ran until the "turtle". That FOEM was fuel based because it stopped after the fill up.
I don't know why maintaining the ICE has to be so complicated. I used to have a BMW i3 REX, which we ran almost exclusively on electric. It would run ICE about once in two months for 20 minutes, which was enough to go through the 2 gallon tank in a year. Simple and logical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FORM mode is off! Though I don't know how long it will last. My Mom borrowed the van to haul stuff from a craft show in Baltimore to Rockville MD. she drove it back during a 60-degree weather spike (planned) in the afternoon. I asked her not to fuel the car until gas light comes on. She did one better and drove the car until it ran out of gas which forced EV mode. She then continued to drive the car onto my driveway with 0 gas and 1% power... FORM was off at that point lol. I guess the computer had to make the choice of stranding the car or switching out of FORM. I charged the car at night and I was able to drive 15 miles to work in EV mode! I added 3 gallons of gas on the way, EV was still on.

Possible solutions to FORM to throw into the mix

- Let your Mom borrow the car
- Drive until all fuel is used
- Continue driving on empty until the battery is at 1%

I will post when FORM mode comes back on. Hopefully, I can notice the conditions when / if (!) it does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have people experienced the issue when in FORM that when stoped and idling in gear the engine constantly cycles off and on?
My van does something similar, but I think that is normal for the Pacifica Hybrid. Before buying the van I did know that it would be noisy a Hybrid. I did a lot of research before buying one ... however, no reviewer ever talked about FORM (that I saw), this mode completely blindsided me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My van does something similar, but I think that is normal for the Pacifica Hybrid. Before buying the van I did know that it would be noisy a Hybrid. I did a lot of research before buying one ... however, no reviewer ever talked about FORM (that I saw), this mode completely blindsided me.

Yeah I wasn’t expecting a silent experience. It just seems very odd that if it is trying to refresh, why would the engine be constantly turning on and off over and over every few seconds? That is a piece of poor software right there and it kind of worries me about the engine doing that. The other thing is when you are driving at low speeds and that is happening, you get little mini lurches from the van as it switches back and forth between the ICE and the electric motor. Super annoying when that is going on and makes the van feel cheap when it is happening. It’s quite disconcerting...

·
Registered
185 Posts
FORM mode is off! Though I don't know how long it will last. My Mom borrowed the van to haul stuff from a craft show in Baltimore to Rockville MD. she drove it back during a 60-degree weather spike (planned) in the afternoon. I asked her not to fuel the car until gas light comes on. She did one better and drove the car until it ran out of gas which forced EV mode. She then continued to drive the car onto my driveway with 0 gas and 1% power... FORM was off at that point lol. I guess the computer had to make the choice of stranding the car or switching out of FORM. I charged the car at night and I was able to drive 15 miles to work in EV mode! I added 3 gallons of gas on the way, EV was still on.

Possible solutions to FORM to throw into the mix

- Let your Mom borrow the car
- Drive until all fuel is used
- Continue driving on empty until the battery is at 1%

I will post when FORM mode comes back on. Hopefully, I can notice the conditions when / if (!) it does.
That's intense. I carried an empty 1-gallon gas can in my previous vehicle just in case I ever ran out of gas but thought I'd never need it with the PacHy. I may have to rethink that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Although my daily FORM events stopped completely, the latest refresh I had also raised questions. I checked my records, it happened 6 weeks after the previous fill up, which seems rather early. I went 10 weeks between the fill ups once. The manual states I don't know what FCA considers "a long period of time", but I went 10 weeks between fill ups once before. Also the FORM didn't stop at the "low fuel" light, but ran until the "turtle". That FOEM was fuel based because it stopped after the fill up.
I don't know why maintaining the ICE has to be so complicated. I used to have a BMW i3 REX, which we ran almost exclusively on electric. It would run ICE about once in two months for 20 minutes, which was enough to go through the 2 gallon tank in a year. Simple and logical.
Well, the i3 has a much smaller (the word 'miniscule' comes to mind) fuel tank than the PacHy, so it wouldn't take nearly as long to empty it out.

With that said, it certainly seems like the FCA PacHy engineers made FORM much more convoluted and complicated than necessary, and the reason may be they underestimated the length of time the ICE would sit idle in a lot of PacHys. I suspect they figured most owners would run the ICE much more frequently than what's actually being done and this would keep FORM at bay in most instances.

For example, my PacHy now has over 1100 miles on it, and only something like the first 70 miles were on gas (and that was just the highway trip from the dealer). I've done nothing but EV since and my guess is the only reason I haven't gotten hit with FORM is that I live in a temperate climate with none of the extreme cold most parts of the US experience in the winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When mine started to do it's on/off cycle, I opened the hood and listened. The ICE runs non stop, it's the transmission that start/stop all the time during that cycle. The hybrid screen shows incorrectly what's going inside the hood while refreshing oil/fuel on idle.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, the i3 has a much smaller (the word 'miniscule' comes to mind) fuel tank than the PacHy, so it wouldn't take nearly as long to empty it out.
Exactly. An even this 2 gallon tank lasts the whole year on BMW's schedule. Why PacHy had to burn all fuel after just 6 weeks? The ICE didn't need to refresh the oil, it was running daily due to the cold weather. I heard that Volt will also go through a tank of gas in a year.

With that said, it certainly seems like the FCA PacHy engineers made FORM much more convoluted and complicated than necessary, and the reason may be they underestimated the length of time the ICE would sit idle in a lot of PacHys. I suspect they figured most owners would run the ICE much more frequently than what's actually being done and this would keep FORM at bay in most instances.

For example, my PacHy now has over 1100 miles on it, and only something like the first 70 miles were on gas (and that was just the highway trip from the dealer). I've done nothing but EV since and my guess is the only reason I haven't gotten hit with FORM is that I live in a temperate climate with none of the extreme cold most parts of the US experience in the winter.
It is a combination of overcomplicated and software bugs. I can't find any other explanation why FORM is so persistent and not consistent from year to year and from vehicle to vehicle.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yeah I wasn’t expecting a silent experience. It just seems very odd that if it is trying to refresh, why would the engine be constantly turning on and off over and over every few seconds? That is a piece of poor software right there and it kind of worries me about the engine doing that. The other thing is when you are driving at low speeds and that is happening, you get little mini lurches from the van as it switches back and forth between the ICE and the electric motor. Super annoying when that is going on and makes the van feel cheap when it is happening. It’s quite disconcerting...
Are you talking about the FORM or the normal ICE work in a cold weather? You know that PacHy doesn't do full electric below 40, right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
When mine started to do it's on/off cycle, I opened the hood and listened. The ICE runs non stop, it's the transmission that start/stop all the time during that cycle. The hybrid screen shows incorrectly what's going inside the hood while refreshing oil/fuel on idle.
Doesn't the ICE run non stop if you open the hood regardless? I haven't tested this but I do recall reading something about that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you talking about the FORM or the normal ICE work in a cold weather? You know that PacHy doesn't do full electric below 40, right?
I'm speaking of FORM. Take a look at my video a few posts back and you can see. It's a 2 min video and the engine starts and stops every 2-10 seconds. It's crazy.

I have also run the van in full electric under 40 degrees with no climate on. I just did it today actually for about 20 miles or so. From about 75% down to about 15%. Only with the heated steering wheel drawing anything extra.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It switches between the Starter spinning the engine (using 5/6kW) and the engine burning fuel.

I can only speculate what this does, so I won’t. However Pressing the accelerator causes it to stay running on fuel.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I wouldn’t say it’s showing incorrectly. It is cycleing between the 5/6kW draw it takes to rotate the engine and when it switches to burning fuel it also shows the engine producing 15kW or more.

The guage just yoyo’s between charge and discharge. But your correct, the engine remains rotating constantly.

This is not bad for the engine, if it’s rotating it’s maintaining oil pressure. However the purpose is unknown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Grrr.. well I'm on my 4th Refresh mode this winter. Seems when my car wasn't in the shop, I managed to consistently get about a week and a half between FORMs. So irritating. Not saving much on fuel this winter.... :-(

I will add that *maybe?* there is hope this won't be so bad next winter.... I just got my car back from service for, hopefully, a final fix for an unrelated U1124 engine light codes. I had also repeatedly mentioned FORM during the last couple months while my car was in an out of the shop. In a conversation last week with the service department head that worked my case with Chrysler I brought up the FORM, and his response was that there is an 'upcoming OTA software update that is planned to address winter issues that may improve this'. This is second hand and perhaps the dealer just wanted to placate his customer.... I'll believe it when I see it...

....but perhaps there is hope...

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would suggest this

If your engine starts up, use it until the oil is over 80c before your trip ends and if you can’t then don’t worry about it. Just try again next time.

This process will manage your oil quaility and delay FORM on a regular basis.

The warmup is the real fuel pig. I see my guage move during warm up - like almost 1/32 of a tank! However once its warm it really doesnt use much fuel - far less than reoccurring FORM.

This will proactively manage 2/3 FORM causes. And when you get a form that occurs every engine start, but allows EV mode hit the highway and go for a cruise.

Plan for around 1 hour after your oil is above 80c.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I'm speaking of FORM. Take a look at my video a few posts back and you can see. It's a 2 min video and the engine starts and stops every 2-10 seconds. It's crazy.

I have also run the van in full electric under 40 degrees with no climate on. I just did it today actually for about 20 miles or so. From about 75% down to about 15%. Only with the heated steering wheel drawing anything extra.

Watched your video, this is something new. My engine never stopped during the FORM, and i don't remember anyone else describing it. My van did something very similar earlier this week- stopping and starting on its own while not moving in L, but it wasn't in FORM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After last September ota update I never have this issue again. My issue was due to the gps time sync.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 157 Posts