2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,962 Posts
It seems that the FORM is more aggressive in the 2019 MY. The van enters it exactly 2 months after the last fuel up and will stay in it until all the gas is used. Why would they do it? Gas doesn't go stale in 2 months. I had a BMW i3 with Range Extender gas engine, its FORM was set up to use the entire tank in one year.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It seems that the FORM is more aggressive in the 2019 MY. The van enters it exactly 2 months after the last fuel up and will stay in it until all the gas is used. Why would they do it? Gas doesn't go stale in 2 months. I had a BMW i3 with Range Extender gas engine, it's FORM was set up to use the entire tank in one year.
Hey you got promoted! Good on yah..:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today, I added 5 gallons of gas at CostCo (they didn't pay me to do it as I'd hoped, but $1.29/gallon isn't too bad). Fuel and Oil Refresh mode immediately turned off. If that didn't work, I was going to let it idle in my driveway and watch the oil temp as described. Presumably it would have turned off once the oil or engine reached the required temperature.

The user's guide says 8 liters must be added -- Alexa says that's 2.113 gallons. Wish I had cut it off at that point to see if that was enough to turn it off, but at this price, I couldn't resist letting it go until the pump cut off.

The car is so much quieter when it's running only in electric mode. With minimal driving over the past couple of month,s I'd forgotten how nice that is. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,962 Posts
The user's guide says 8 liters must be added -- Alexa says that's 2.113 gallons
Interestingly, the US manual says that 4 gallons is the minimum.

The 2019 manual goes into more detail about the refresh mode.

2018:
The vehicle will automatically exit the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode when conditions have been satisfied. If the vehicle enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode, due to fuel which has been in the fuel tank for a long period of time (becoming stale fuel), the engine will run whenever the vehicle is operational (no electric only operation) until the low fuel level warning is activated. It is possible to exit the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode sooner by adding new fuel to the vehicle’s fuel tank.
NOTE: Fuel Freshness is recalculated whenever fuel is added to the vehicle’s fuel tank.
2019:
The vehicle will automatically exit the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode when conditions have been satisfied. If the vehicle enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode, due to fuel which has been in the fuel tank for a long period of time (becoming stale fuel), the engine will run whenever the vehicle is operational (no electric only operation) until the low fuel level warning is activated. It is also possible to exit the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode sooner by adding a minimum of 4 gallons of new fuel to the vehicle’s fuel tank.
NOTE: If the vehicle enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode to maintain engine lubrication, adding fuel will not exit the mode sooner.
If the vehicle enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode to maintain engine lubrication properties, the engine may run for a period of up to 20 minutes when fully warm whenever the vehicle is operational (no electric only operation). If the vehicle is shut down before conditions to exit the refresh mode have been satisfied, the engine may run for additional time on subsequent trips.
NOTE: Frequent short trips at low ambient temperature conditions are more likely to trigger the lubrication based mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts

2018:

2019:

2018:

2019:
You're right -- 2019 the 2019 Owner's Guide says four gallons. I'm trying to find where I found 8 liters. I'll update here if I run across it again. Could have been in a group or facebook post.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
2 Posts
First post. I've had my 2020 Pacifica Hybrid since February 2020 and just experienced FORM starting last week. For several days it would start with the ICE every time. Didn't matter how hot I got the oil (204 degrees) or how long I ran it. I had about 7/8 tank of gas at the start of FORM. I'm down to 3/4 tank now and thought I would just have to go get some gas to make the car happy.

But I thought maybe I can fool the car into thinking I've already got gas. So before I started it up I opened the driver door and pressed the fuel hatch release button. Then walked back to the fuel door, opened it up and used my finger to depress the fuel flap to simulate a fuel nozzle as if I was fueling up. Then closed it all up and got back in the van, closed the driver door and started as normal. And what do you know, FORM was now off and I was good to go without adding fuel.

So I can hardly wait until the next FORM event so I can try this fill up fake out and see if that works every time or if I was just lucky.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited Advanced Safety Tec Group
34 Posts
Just had our 2020 enter FORM today, had the PacHy since 3/31 and have driven 220 miles on 1/2 tank in hybrid, plus 693 in battery only (total miles 913). When we went out today, fully charged, ICE started immediately and FORM notice popped up, i monitored while making our stops, ICE "ran" the whole time, at stop lights ICE reported 0 KW, Battery 6 KW (when i checked) oil temp got to 199 but FORM still active (we made several stops including shutting off, FORM would restart every time. our 24 mile round trip included 3 stops, several stop lights, max speed 60 mph, in 95 degree sunny weather. I am going to try the open the fuel door tip from HSV, will repost with result.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
2 Posts
Just had our 2020 enter FORM today, had the PacHy since 3/31 and have driven 220 miles on 1/2 tank in hybrid, plus 693 in battery only (total miles 913). When we went out today, fully charged, ICE started immediately and FORM notice popped up, i monitored while making our stops, ICE "ran" the whole time, at stop lights ICE reported 0 KW, Battery 6 KW (when i checked) oil temp got to 199 but FORM still active (we made several stops including shutting off, FORM would restart every time. our 24 mile round trip included 3 stops, several stop lights, max speed 60 mph, in 95 degree sunny weather. I am going to try the open the fuel door tip from HSV, will repost with result.
So how did this work out for you??? Are you still experiencing FORM?

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited Advanced Safety Tec Group
34 Posts
the open the fuel door and stick the funnel in then close it didnt work.

Just filled it with gas and when i restarted to leave FORM was not activated (10.737 gallons to fully filled, 255.8 Hybrid miles = 23.8 mpg). Coincidentally, I've put 218.7 KW at a electric cost of $22.49 to go 693.3 "electric" miles. (Using e10 gasoline 1 gallon = 32.78 KW, 218.7 KW = 6.6702 gallons)

10.737 + 6.6702 = 17.407 gallons
255.7 + 693.3 = 949.1 miles

54.5 MpGe

my 2009 Grand Caravan averaged 21.2 mpg over 87000 miles

·
Registered
113 Posts
4 months from filling the tank and enough ICE use to drop gauge to 3/4, mine went into fuel refresh. Put in 4 gallons, it departed fuel refresh. Less than one month later, back into fuel refresh. Another 4 gallons. I'm currently not charging it so that it will use enough gas to trigger the low fuel warning. Supposedly then it will come out of fuel refresh and we'll be able to drive it on pure electric around town, which is mostly what we do.
Have to completely change gas buying habits. On a highway trip It was SOP to always fill up at the last cheap station near home. No more. Gotta run it out, and not buy gas until needed.

Oil refresh is easy compared to fuel. Drive it long enough to get the oil temp above 180 for at least 10 minutes, off it goes. Getting engine to stay off during cold weather is tough. Takes a lot of fiddling, mostly aimed at keeping climate control wattage at 5kWh or below. Not sure yet if it's even possible at 0 deg F temps, but I'm still trying.

More later.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts