2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
OK, fair enough. Thanks for the detailed answer.

Am I understanding you that in routine use, you would disconnect it daily and bring it inside to do the upload if you don't have a strong enough signal in your driveway?

If you have in-car wifi, then would it upload in real time if it were connected?
No, the device will stay on and upload data after your vehicle shuts off, using the vehicles battery. It has functions to put itself to sleep when it is done. It connects to the ODB2 port which stays on when your vehicle is off.

I haven't had an issue with WiFi connectivity in my house and the vehicle is in the garage and my wifi router is in my basement in the middle of the house. I use 5ghz. If needed you could probably connect to 2.4 ghz and it wouldn't be an issue, just upload slower.

I'm not sure it uploads in realtime if it has constant wifi. Uploads are categorized as "drives" and i'm not sure if it waits for a drive to fully finish (vehicle in Park) before uploading.

Keep in mind these are first and foremost self-driving computers in a cell phone package so CPU is limited. The reason Comma says don't necessarily rely on the dashcam stuff is it operates secondary to the self-driving function. Comma doesn't care if the data makes it to them since they just use it to improve their algorithms, so they don't necessarily have a vested interest in making sure it's 100% successful.

As for dashcam quality, the Comma3 is pretty decent quality, but no match for modern 4K dashcams. It's probably on par with mid-range dashcams fin terms of detail but the Comma 3 has a clearer lens. The Comma2 is a low end chinese cell phone so the quality isn't very good. You could use it to prove you didn't run a red light but you'd never identify a license plate with it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My comma 2 shows No Panda on the screen, so I did a factory reset and reinstalling again :(
Just in case anyone else has this issue, it's because you installed the Comma software with the car ON or in the ACC mode. It won't flash the Panda when the vehicle is on.

Yeah, due to the power saving auto-off it turns the screen off so you need the vehicle on to start the install, but after installing you should always turn off the vehicle. The Comma will stay on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used the Comma 2 and the Comma 3 on the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. It works amazingly well.

You are still the driver, and you are still actively driving. You must pay attention. You must keep your hands on the wheel. Openpilot doesn't "drive" the car for you. It maintains your speed and distance from the car in front of you and it keeps you centered in your lane, and it has a feature to make automatic lane changes. But you still have to pay attention to other drivers, and intersections and everything that you would normally attend to while driving.

The Comma 2 is the best value in my opinion. The Comma 3 has the most future potential.
On FCA vehicles stock Openpilot can give some unusual errors at times and for that reason JVEPilot is the best Openpilot fork to use, in my opinion.

The easiest way to install jvePilot is to factory reset and use this Custom Software URL:

Chrysler Pacificas from 2017 to 2019 allow the steering to be controlled down to 9 MPH.
Chrysler Pacificas from 2020 and 2021 only allow steering to be controlled at 39 MPH and above.

It is possible to modifiy the Pacificia to allow Openpilot to steer all the way down to 0 MPH. This allows you to use Openpilot in stop-and-go traffic and maintain steering control the entire time.
The modification involves adding a White Panda to the Starboard to intercept the signals from the EPS. The White Panda tells the car that it is always going 39 MPH (or above) to keep the lane keep assist engaged and allow Openpilot to steer to 0 MPH

White Panda photo below

I think it is an amazing device and well worth every penny.

Please DM me if you have any questions.

Alex

Other Information:
White Panda Install Video

Fork Comparison:
I'm looking into getting a comma and I was a little surprised to hear about the "only steering above 39mph" problem.

I'm sure this was discussed somewhere but on mine (2022 model) it can literally park itself so know it's at least physically capable of steering at low speeds. Has anyone tried to look into that?

For this modification, how much do you notice the change to the power steering?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm looking into getting a comma and I was a little surprised to hear about the "only steering above 39mph" problem.

I'm sure this was discussed somewhere but on mine (2022 model) it can literally park itself so know it's at least physically capable of steering at low speeds. Has anyone tried to look into that?

For this modification, how much do you notice the change to the power steering?
To answer your question:

1. This is a thing, and it is frowned upon by OpenPilot. They'll ban your Comma 3 (which isn't a big thing, it doesn't brick it, but it voids your warranty and doesn't let you use their online services). They don't want to be held liable.

2. On the Pacifica it requires doing the White Panda mod mentioned previously, that acts as a man-in-the-middle (the White Panda mod by itself is not dangerous). There's then a off-shoot of the WP software that, instead of lying that you are going 39 mph all the time, it lies that you are in Parking mode.

3. Parking mode is dangerous. Parking mode can command more torque than you can put your body weight into the wheel. The EPS motor is incredibly strong unrestrained. Comma relies on two things to make the system safe: Brake pedal disengaging everything and limited torque allowing the driver to override the system at any time. The comma could confuse a turn and steer you into a highway concrete barrier and you couldn't do a thing. Of course you can press the brake pedal and disengage the system, as long as that works.

I know of 1 guy that uses parking mode and swears by not having issues. In theory the software that disables the system using the brake pedal is all in Chrysler's system and should meet Automotive ANSIL-D standard. For our use the 39mph restriction hasn't been cumbersome enough to desire to override it. It's nice to still have that extra safety override of being able to easily correct the system anytime you want.

To be clear for anyone confused: The above is a separate modification from the OpenPilot system. The stock OpenPilot system is perfectly safe. It doesn't do anything beyond replacing the normal ping/pong lanekeep commands with it's own active steering commands, operating as a man in the middle. It doesn't override any safety systems or make the system less safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For our use the 39mph restriction hasn't been cumbersome enough to desire to override it. It's nice to still have that extra safety override of being able to easily correct the system anytime you want.
So what do you do when you hit traffic? Just take over the steering similar to how the built-in ACC works?

For the "lying about the speed" method, do you know how this effects the manual power steering a low speeds? Also if I'm above 39mph does it report my correct speed to the system or is it always saying 39?

Also I'm curious if we know why Chrysler imposed that 39mph limit on the newer models when it sounds like it isn't present on older models nor other competing cars.

·
Registered
504 Posts
So what do you do when you hit traffic? Just take over the steering similar to how the built-in ACC works?

For the "lying about the speed" method, do you know how this effects the manual power steering a low speeds? Also if I'm above 39mph does it report my correct speed to the system or is it always saying 39?

Also I'm curious if we know why Chrysler imposed that 39mph limit on the newer models when it sounds like it isn't present on older models nor other competing cars.
Below 39 mph the Comma will display a orange warning take over steering.

ACC continues to function for traffic jams and such. In some ways comma/jvePilot makes traffic jams easier as it tracks the car in front of you. When jvePilot detects it starts moving it will silently (programmatically) press the steering wheel RESUME button for you to make the ACC move again.

As far as the WP 39mph, yeah it isn't all upside. Telling the car you're doing 39 mph means the power steering system helps less so you have to turn the wheel more. I believe they're working on making it only lie when the Comma system is engaged.

The 2017-2018 models all cut out at 9 mph for the EPS motor. It was the 2019+ models where Chrysler seemingly changed it to 39 mph.

In theory it may be possible for them to one day reprogram the EPS motor but keep that as a theory.

I have heard of one person anecdotal on here that had some sort of service work done on here and the tech reset something and their lane keep system works below 39mph, but I haven't seen proof.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If anyone still reads this I've moved over to just running stock OpenPilot:

Code:
https://openpilot.comma.ai
Comma finally bought a Chrysler vehicle and they're finally listening to people (such as putting in a toggle for disable on gas and adding colored torque indicator in the path) such that it's not quite as advantageous being on a fork, for Chrysler vehicles anyhow.

There also have been more and more bugs sneaking into jvePilot-release (he has a Jeep not a Chrysler), it's better just driving stock for most people since that is well-tested.

We drove 700 miles this past weekend and it is still working great. If anyone is thinking about getting one keep an eye out early November they always have their Black Friday sale.

·
Registered
504 Posts
For those interested, the Black Friday Comma 3 sale started today.

Also a reminder this is my installation post. Nothing is different (other than you wouldn't install it crooked as the Comma3 has a wide-angle camera and can see the driver).

Overall, I've had a Comma for a bit over a year now and I wouldn't second-guess buying it. We drive on the highway enough (visiting family) that it is worth the quality-of-life improvement and will pay itself off through future-proofing the vehicle (Comma is better than GM SuperCruise or Ford BlueCruise).

Reactions: sellr324

·
Registered
2 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Limited
I just picked up my 2021 Pachy and drove it 1100 miles back to TX. I found a used C2 on eBay, ordered a harness from Comma, and installed the stock Open Pilot software. Got the C2 installed before I even left the dealer and it was so nice on the drive home!

I did try installing the JVE fork but it seems that it’s going into a boot loop after installing. Just getting a black screen after it downloads. Hopefully the stock Open Pilot improves but it seems that they are ending support and updates for the C2 which is very disappointing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just picked up my 2021 Pachy and drove it 1100 miles back to TX. I found a used C2 on eBay, ordered a harness from Comma, and installed the stock Open Pilot software. Got the C2 installed before I even left the dealer and it was so nice on the drive home!

I did try installing the JVE fork but it seems that it’s going into a boot loop after installing. Just getting a black screen after it downloads. Hopefully the stock Open Pilot improves but it seems that they are ending support and updates for the C2 which is very disappointing.
Honestly, you don't really even want updates anyway, the driving has been solid since 0.8.11 and 0.8.14 is a well-refined gold standard for driving. The newer updates have in some ways made the vehicle drive better but in other ways worse (not unsafe). But the old software by far is not broken and is probably industry-leading in the quality it drives. That said, the community has been taking over supporting it (namely SunnyPilot and DragonPilot).

As far as installing, remember to always have the vehicle in OFF mode when installing or the Panda (the low-level hardware that hijacks the car) won't get firmware flashed. It's tricky since you need to go to RUN to power up the Comma but then after that turn it OFF and enter the URL.

You can get weird things when the Panda is running one version and the Comma is running something else (version mismatch). Also make sure you are OFF when installing software.

Also for a C2 I think there's a special link for JVEPilot. The bit.ly link will install the latest OpenPilot version which won't run on the C2. That link you use for C3.

C3 JVE Install link
Code:
https://bit.ly/jvePilot-release
C2 JVE Install link:
Code:
https://bit.ly/jvePilot-c2-release

The primary reason for running JVEPilot is you can switch between laneless and laneful driving. Laneful is better IMO, but Laneless is good for construction zones since it stays away from barrels or county roads that don't have lane markings. He hijacks the lanekeep on/off button on the dash to let you switch.

Reactions: Interex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Hybrid
Trim:
Limited
Honestly, you don't really even want updates anyway, the driving has been solid since 0.8.11 and 0.8.14 is a well-refined gold standard for driving. The newer updates have in some ways made the vehicle drive better but in other ways worse (not unsafe). But the old software by far is not broken and is probably industry-leading in the quality it drives. That said, the community has been taking over supporting it (namely SunnyPilot and DragonPilot).

As far as installing, remember to always have the vehicle in OFF mode when installing or the Panda (the low-level hardware that hijacks the car) won't get firmware flashed. It's tricky since you need to go to RUN to power up the Comma but then after that turn it OFF and enter the URL.

You can get weird things when the Panda is running one version and the Comma is running something else (version mismatch). Also make sure you are OFF when installing software.

Also for a C2 I think there's a special link for JVEPilot. The bit.ly link will install the latest OpenPilot version which won't run on the C2. That link you use for C3.

C3 JVE Install link
Code:
https://bit.ly/jvePilot-release
C2 JVE Install link:
Code:
https://bit.ly/jvePilot-c2-release

The primary reason for running JVEPilot is you can switch between laneless and laneful driving. Laneful is better IMO, but Laneless is good for construction zones since it stays away from barrels or county roads that don't have lane markings. He hijacks the lanekeep on/off button on the dash to let you switch.
That C2 link worked like a charm, thank you!!

Really looking forward to using this JVE pilot on our road trip tomorrow. What settings do you like to run on yours?

201 - 212 of 212 Posts