2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Smity84 - I just bought a used, 2019, Pacifica Hybrid Limited. I bought it for the ACC and LKA. Two GREAT features .... with so much [untapped] potential .... until I found your thread! I think it's awesome that you're diving into this and posting your results. I see all the negative on this thread, but you just have to let that go. Imagine the crap the owners of the first car got, the first motorcycle, or the Wright brothers! As long as you understand what it is, what it does, what it DOESN'T do, and that you're ready to jump in and take over when needed, I don't see what the issue is. Now if you're putting your 5 year old in the driver's seat so you can step in the back and fix yourself a drink - I hope they lock you up and throw away the key! (LOL!) But you don't seem like that kind of guy. I'd like to hear more, and I'll be ordering one as soon as my warranty is up. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, @PacHY2019

I’ve been using Open Pilot for a few months now. I only use it while cruising on the highway and I’ve been extremely happy with it. It really just perfects the lane keeping assist on the van and reduces fatigue from long drives. I’m excited to see where this technology goes and appreciate the kind words!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
So I've had openpilot for about a month and I'll delve into my experience with it. For me it's been a steep learning curve. I've had to learn ssh and workbench on Windows and have spent countless hours with both of them to get open pilot to work on my specific year (2017) non hybrid Pacifica. When I first set it up it was literally a glorified dash cam because there was no "fingerprint" repository for my year non hybrid on github. So I had to learn how to get it from the canbus of the van because it's different for different model years and for hybrid and non hybrid Pacificas. The folks on the openpilot discord group have been awesome in helping me get it all sorted out but I felt bad for them while they held my hand through the whole process which took days. For anyone interested in getting one I can tell you for sure it's ready to go for 2017 gas and hybrid and almost sure for 2018 gas and hybrid. I'm not sure about the 19s. I know for sure that the 20s fingerprint are not in the repository so someone with a 2020 will have to either be fluent in ssh or workbench which will make it somewhat easier or they'll have to go to the openpilot discord channel and ask for help. I have the same tag there so if you mention me I'll be glad to help.

Once you set it up, it's pretty freaking awesome. The only time I've had issues with it was when we were going from Houston to San Antonio on the 10 and it had to deal with a crosswind. It kept on making corrections for the wind but in very small abrupt inputs. My wife commented on how the ride was a little nauseating because it was doing mini oscillations back and forth. In regards to safety, I always have my hands on the steering wheel. In fact I lock my thumbs around the rim of the wheel to make sure it doesn't do anything unwarranted. It has the same force as lane keep assist and can easily be overridden just like LKA can. The user interface is very intuitive and is always monitoring the driver to make sure they're paying attention. If it sees that you're not paying attention it will warn you and then disengage. It will also warn you if you come to a curve that it can't handle so you'll have to take over. I bought it because I'm a geek at heart and love technology. My wife doesn't use it so it stays at home when I'm not using the van. I can imagine it would be a huge benefit for someone that has to drive on the freeway daily in traffic. The last thing I'll point out is I rarely speed or change lanes when I'm using it. I just set it and sit there and watch it do it's thing with a big grin on my face. I love what the future holds and can't wait for it to become the norm.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Has anyone tested this with a Pacifica hybrid 2019? Want to confirm it works before purchasing!
I think the 19 hybrid is on there. You want to wait for the black panda to come out. Way more streamlined setup of the hardware.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
It combines the panda and giraffe into one streamlined unit that's way smaller. It's also supposed to resolve the LKAS errors you get when you start the car before plugging in the Eon. in regards to your question open pilot WILL work on a 19 Pacifica. Your best bet is to join the open pilot discord channel to get more info. The info on here is going to be minimal at best since only 2 of us are currently using it.

Reactions: smity84

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've personally had the system for a month now. I absolutely love it. It basically upgrades the stock lkas. Before the stock LKAS would ping pong you between lanes. And automatically shut off in situations it cannot handle. Open pilot keeps your van exactly in the middle of the lanes and allows down when a vehicle is merging into your Lane. And if you currently use the stock lkas you know how dangerous merging cars into your Lane is. With open pilot there added safety requirements. It has a front facing camera to follow your eyes. If you look away from the road. It will alarm extremely loud and annoying. Telling you to disengage the system. Also it ask you to keep hands on the wheel. I am very aware this is experimental but so far the community has been very motivated to making the system better. Just likes Tesla without paying 7k for it. Anyways. I know people feel it's scary to use but imagine this. It's safer than the stock system because it actually forces you to pay attention to the road vs the stock system when it just disengage automatically with minimal warning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can say to each their own, but you’re sharing the road with others and risking their lives, too. I’m an attorney, and can’t imagine ever being willing to take on the kind of risk you’re assuming. Beyond lives, you’re putting your financial future at risk, too. Have you asked your insurance company if your policy is valid while using this?
let alone even with the modification on the car you would be guilty of altering the MFG design and capability. **** you can’t even alter an exhaust from mfg design without breaking federal law. You are hanging it out to get chopped.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
let alone even with the modification on the car you would be guilty of altering the MFG design and capability. **** you can’t even alter an exhaust from mfg design without breaking federal law. You are hanging it out to get chopped.
This is beating a dead horse. The legality and risk of liability has been discussed throughout this thread. We each have our own opinions and I sincerely appreciate the concerns that some of the forum members have brought up. Others have sought to judge very quickly and have taken an open discussion to put others down. I am all for advocating your position, especially if you are trying to convince others to not do something you deem unsafe. In my opinion however, this enhances the safety system of my car. I am still in control of the vehicle and responsible for it’s safe operation.

You can disagree with me. That is your right. Show me a law am I breaking and I will be happy to read it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
You must be thinking criminal law, for some reason. What you need to consider is tort liability.
As discussed, I am aware of the liability that I take on by using this system. If I cause an accident with my vehicle I can be sued, regardless if Open Pilot was installed or not. I also understand that you are making the point that it puts a target on me for using the system. I am not disputing that.

I was responding to drwyatt’s post of it being illegal to modify ones exhaust. I interpreted that as him implying Open Pilot is also illegal. It is not against the law to install this system in your car.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
One a side note....I own the Pacifica, a 94 Landcruiser and a 17 CTS V, is it weird that I gravitate towards the Pacifica just so I can use openpilot???

Reactions: GoWFO and smity84

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
One a side note....I own the Pacifica, a 94 Landcruiser and a 17 CTS V, is it weird that I gravitate towards the Pacifica just so I can use openpilot???
That’s quite the garage! Not weird at all though. I completely agree!

Happy Holidays!

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts

Happy Holidays!

Thanks man. Happy holidays!

Reactions: smity84

·
Registered
649 Posts
I do not believe that is true. Show me a “federal law” that I would be breaking by altering the MFG design and capability. If it was true then we wouldn’t be able to put different sized tires or wheels on our cars, install a 3rd party sunroof, install aftermarket brake rotors, install window tinting, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Over 1,000 active users per day?! Just look at all this video evidence of these reckless people out there risking their family’s financial futures. I for one do not feel safe leaving the house anymore knowing that these menaces to society are out there running amuck. I’d feel much safer if everyone just drove shopping carts. At least those are 100% legal on public roads....

·
Registered
7 Posts

Happy Holidays!

Hi! Can I install an Open Pilot on my Chrysler Pacific Hybrid that doesn't have Adaptive Cruise Control?
Thanks

61 - 80 of 90 Posts