2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Hi! Can I install an Open Pilot on my Chrysler Pacific Hybrid that doesn't have Adaptive Cruise Control?
Thanks
No. Adaptive and lkas is required.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Notwithstanding the legal aspects, reliability, fun factor etc... My main question is --

Who benefits from the million of miles driven training the system?
  • The OpenPilot user? OK, although again is it "user" or "trainer/reinforcer"?
  • The community? In this case, how can we ensure that indeed the collective knowledge acquired stays in the community with low friction access to it.
  • Hotz himself? In this case, what prevents him from saying "Thanks guys, the "software for research purposes" phase is over" and he closes everything. Sure, most of the code is on GitHub, but it looks like there are still some juicy AI code that is closed source...? And again, the data, the millions of miles...

It's almost as if we all participate to PacificaForums on a good faith basis, we all benefit from it as we are right now, and then suddenly when there is enough content, the owners close the forum, and sell the site to a car manufacturer for all the nuggets that are in there. I would feel meh about that...

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Selling my openpilot setup with Giraffe and White Panda and mount. It's in excellent condition. Getting rid of it because I traded in the Pacifica for a Alfa that doesn't work with openpilot. It Doesn't have LKAS :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 PacHy Limited Ocean Blue Metallic. Tri-Pane Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Uconnect Theater.
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

I thought that I would share my experience with installing Open Pilot in my 2017 Pacifica Hybrid. I've been intrigued by self-driving technology and always hoped the standard lane keep assist (LKAS) would have been better in my Pacifica. I've been doing some research on the subject, and decided to give Open Pilot a chance.

Here is a video of my setup:

Everything was purchased from: Comma.ai

I purchased:
  • EON Dev Kit
  • FCA Giraffe
  • Panda
So far it's working very well. I've noticed it performs much better on the highway than surface roads. It's much better than the standard LKAS. It also looks like they provide regular updates. It was not hard to do at all and anyone with some basic technical experience will be able to do it without issue. If anyone has any questions about my setup or how it performs, I would be happy to assist.
Thanks for the video! I bought the comma 2 and installed in my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid and I am very happy with it. I agree that it works better than the standard LKAS. It does take some getting used to though. I drove the first 10 miles or so with my hands hovering over the wheel LOL. It work extremely well for me on the highway and pretty good on surface roads. At any rate, I think the braking is smoother than the stock adaptive cruise control. The only thing I am disappointed with is that it doesn’t start driving again from a stop, I still have to press the resume button. I guess this is because the steering cuts out below 9 mph? Anyway, that’s my only complaint. Can’t wait to take a road trip with it!

·
Registered
339 Posts
At any rate, I think the braking is smoother than the stock adaptive cruise control. The only thing I am disappointed with is that it doesn’t start driving again from a stop, I still have to press the resume button. I guess this is because the steering cuts out below 9 mph? Anyway, that’s my only complaint. Can’t wait to take a road trip with it!
That's in your head :). For the Pacifica the comma 2 only handles steering. All speed control is using the pre-existing adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
2018 PacHy Limited Ocean Blue Metallic. Tri-Pane Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Uconnect Theater.
7 Posts
Thank you! I did not know that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the video! I bought the comma 2 and installed in my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid and I am very happy with it. I agree that it works better than the standard LKAS. It does take some getting used to though. I drove the first 10 miles or so with my hands hovering over the wheel LOL. It work extremely well for me on the highway and pretty good on surface roads. At any rate, I think the braking is smoother than the stock adaptive cruise control. The only thing I am disappointed with is that it doesn’t start driving again from a stop, I still have to press the resume button. I guess this is because the steering cuts out below 9 mph? Anyway, that’s my only complaint. Can’t wait to take a road trip with it!
I would be interested in this system if I could keep hands on the wheel. How would that work? Would it just drop out? I wouldn't want to put too much trust in it but I would like to stay in the center of the lane at all times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can totally keep your hands on the wheel, it does not have enough force that you can’t override it.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts