2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does the Comma 2 also function as a dash cam? How large memory card does it accept?
It does also function as a lower resolution dashcam. Think SD quality not quite HD. It has 64GB onboard storage, no SD cards. You can SSH into it to download the videos or if you have their comma prime subscription that uses cellular you can get the videos from their app whenever you want.

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
271 Posts
Hey folks, thought I try asking this here too. I just installed my old EON setup (running 0.8.1) on our 20 pachy that I previously used on our Clarity and Prius. I only needed to get a new harness from commai for the pachy (mirror housing hides everything).

I'm getting an error(s) mainly when, I think, FCW gives its warning notification but not always necessarily braking. No features are available till I power cycle the vehicle. Then, it works great till the next event. I tried: power cycling the EON/OP, un/install OP, radar cover/windshield are clean. Ideas?

Thx

·
Registered
120 Posts
ACC will still works in stop/go traffic. They are talking about lane keep assist limitations which isn't really necessary at very low speeds (IMO).
Hey folks, thought I try asking this here too. I just installed my old EON setup (running 0.8.1) on our 20 pachy that I previously used on our Clarity and Prius. I only needed to get a new harness from commai for the pachy (mirror housing hides everything).

I'm getting an error(s) mainly when, I think, FCW gives its warning notification but not always necessarily braking. No features are available till I power cycle the vehicle. Then, it works great till the next event. I tried: power cycling the EON/OP, un/install OP, radar cover/windshield are clean. Ideas?

Thx
What error? Is that ACC being disabled?
If so, yes I have seen that pop up as well. Not sure what triggers it but needs me to restart the car to make it go away

·
Registered
698 Posts
Can anyone show me (video) how to remove the the rearview mirror cover? I'm afraid of breaking something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone show me (video) how to remove the the rearview mirror cover? I'm afraid of breaking something.
It's really easy, and the plastic is pretty resilient. Just wiggle your fingers between the glass and the cover. You'll be popping it on and off a lot to get everything situated perfectly.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's really easy, and the plastic is pretty resilient. Just wiggle your fingers between the glass and the cover. You'll be popping it on and off a lot to get everything situated perfectly.
Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
One more question: Does the new harness feed inside of the cover?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Since there's little documentation about installing the car harness I documented my install.

Also while there are other (forbidden) forks, the best kosher OpenPilot fork to run on the Pacifica is jvePilot, since it has some features that will prevent getting the dreaded LKAS / ACC Unavailable error. Once you get that error nothing will work until you power off the car and power it back on.

The author seems to maintain it and regularly pulls main OpenPilot over his additional features.

The main benefits:
  • Disabling of OpenPilot when you hit the gas pedal
  • Hijacks the Adaptive Cruise Control system to let OpenPilot do some minor longitudinal control for stuff such as:
  • Slowing for curves
  • Slowing earlier for stopped traffic
Effectively it does this by grabbing OpenPilots speed prediction and then adjusting the ACC set speed downward.

My daily driver is a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance so OpenPilot doesn't really wow me, but it is cool that I can effectively add the same functionality to this car (although it won't steer below 39 MPH on 2019 Chrylsers and newer).

I did do a hard test on how hard of a bank it can do, there is definitely a limit, but it's a surprisingly hard corner. Our city has a challenging raised freeway with extremely hard banks and on one of them OpenPilot fails (Tesla does not), but I don't forsee experiencing that type of bank frequently, but it's something to be aware of. The bank limit is fundamental to the car itself, the power steering motor is torque-limited.

·
Registered
698 Posts
During the first time set-up, what's the URL that you provide for the jvePilot Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new to all this and thinking to get open pilot this Christmas.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Since there's little documentation about installing the car harness I documented my install.

Also while there are other (forbidden) forks, the best kosher OpenPilot fork to run on the Pacifica is jvePilot, since it has some features that will prevent getting the dreaded LKAS / ACC Unavailable error. Once you get that error nothing will work until you power off the car and power it back on.

The author seems to maintain it and regularly pulls main OpenPilot over his additional features.

The main benefits:
  • Disabling of OpenPilot when you hit the gas pedal
  • Hijacks the Adaptive Cruise Control system to let OpenPilot do some minor longitudinal control for stuff such as:
  • Slowing for curves
  • Slowing earlier for stopped traffic
Effectively it does this by grabbing OpenPilots speed prediction and then adjusting the ACC set speed downward.

My daily driver is a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance so OpenPilot doesn't really wow me, but it is cool that I can effectively add the same functionality to this car (although it won't steer below 39 MPH on 2019 Chrylsers and newer).

I did do a hard test on how hard of a bank it can do, there is definitely a limit, but it's a surprisingly hard corner. Our city has a challenging raised freeway with extremely hard banks and on one of them OpenPilot fails (Tesla does not), but I don't forsee experiencing that type of bank frequently, but it's something to be aware of. The bank limit is fundamental to the car itself, the power steering motor is torque-limited.
Also I'm using the 2018 Touring, do you think that I still need the jvePilot?

·
Registered
338 Posts
During the first time set-up, what's the URL that you provide for the jvePilot Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new to all this and thinking to get open pilot this Christmas.
Also I'm using the 2018 Touring, do you think that I still need the jvePilot?
This is where I'm probably a little new, I've only driven with OpenPilot for a few days so far.

I drove stock and received one LKAS Unavailable message after hitting the gas to speed up to make a yellow light. I had to turn the car off and on again for everything to work again. I drove with jvePilot and did not. I probably don't have a large sample size to say whether it fixes the issues or not. Supposedly jvePilot does NOT contain any special fixes.

Also, for the record, on the LKAS errors someone said jvePilot solves the opposite of what I said. You want to turn the option off so OpenPilot DOESN'T turn off when you hit the gas pedal. I will probably try both and see what works.

The shortcut link for jvepilot is (the author mentions it on the github link above):
Code:
https://bit.ly/jvepilot

What jvePilot does do is connect the OpenPilot longitudinal (speed) control to the Pacifica. This will allow OP to slow the car during sharp curves. It has some configuration parameters in the UI to tweak this behavior.

Remember: Even though jvePilot will adjust your speed, it does not have direct control over brakes. The stock ACC system is still in control and you need to pay attention to manually brake for stopped cars. All jvePilot can do is set the ACC speed to request a speed change and it's up to the Chrysler system whether to apply brakes or coast to meet that speed, which is what I mean by it doesn't have direct control.

That said it should still be safer so your car doesn't barrel into a tight 60 mph highway turn at 70mph.

To directly answer your question, jvePilot is probably useful for you with a 2018 since the 2018 models can do steering down to 10mph, so you can gain more benefits of OpenPilot on city streets.

2019+ Pacifica won't allow OpenPilot to do any steering below 39 mph so OpenPilot is pretty much a highway aid for these vehicles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
jvePilot also has an offset setting which is useful if you don't mount the Comma device centered on your car.

For the record, the center point of the Pacifica is the rear view mirror. If you mount the Comma device centered with the LKAS system then the Comma will technically be offset or moved over from the center of the vehicle.

OpenPilot will always try to center itself in the lane which means your vehicle will be not centered in the lane. Adjusting that setting will let OpenPilot know it is not centered so it will properly center your vehicle in the lane.

·
Registered
338 Posts
We did a 600 mile road trip and OpenPilot worked great.

I only had to take over twice. Both times for very tight curves that I anticipated. I never had to take over for safety reasons.

The tight curves were all on state highways. Part of our trip was on the Interstate and I never had to take over at all since they are designed to different standards.

Only complaint on jvepilot is that in a traffic jam it seemed to interrupt the stop and go functionality. I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone have issues with the Comma Two showing "Turn Exceeds Steering Limit" on right curves only? I tried it with both standard install and jvePilot fork and it just can't make right curves that consistently while very similar left curves are fine. I did set the offset on jvePilot to hug the right a little but it still basically failed most right curves. I was going about 75mph which the left curves handled just fine. This is also along the 405 between OC and LA which doesn't have insane angles. My Highlander before handled these no problem so curious if this is even fixable at all.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Anyone have issues with the Comma Two showing "Turn Exceeds Steering Limit" on right curves only? I tried it with both standard install and jvePilot fork and it just can't make right curves that consistently while very similar left curves are fine. I did set the offset on jvePilot to hug the right a little but it still basically failed most right curves. I was going about 75mph which the left curves handled just fine. This is also along the 405 between OC and LA which doesn't have insane angles. My Highlander before handled these no problem so curious if this is even fixable at all.
I can't say I've noticed a lot of issues.

Keep in mind steer torque goes up the slower you go, so part of jvePilot is the slow for curve functionality.

That said, did you install the comma centered below the rear-view mirror instead of centered with the LKAS system? Centered below the rear view mirror mount is where it should be since that is the centerline of the vehicle.

It's also possible your alignment is off and that is why it requires more torque to steer one direction than the other.

Finally, keep in mind what lane you are in. If you are in the right lane then turning right will require more torque since you are on the inside of the curve. Turning left will require less since you are the outside curve.

How the steer detection works, if I understand properly, is it calculates the steer angle and basically requests maximum possible torque for the curve right away. The EPS system basically gives it a yes I'll fail or no I can do it right away.

But if your device is offset and it thinks the curve is tighter than it really is it might request a torque higher than necessary.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts