2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
161 - 180 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have heard of people having LKAS faults but other than the day I got the device I havent had an LKAS fault since.

Could be an install glitch? Check if your cables are installed all the way.

Particularly the USB C on the comma2, that can be tough to install. Make sure it's pushed in all the way.

Also, be careful when removing the cable on the Comma2, the port is not super robust. Dont wiggle the connector, just pull/push in or out.

Jvepilot might help, only because the one time I got the LKAS fault was when I was pushing the gas pedal, which disengaged OpenPilot in the stock software. jvepilot has the option to keep OpenPilot steering active if you push the gas pedal.
LKAS fault is happening continually now, basically unusable. USB-C cable feels solid... I replaced Ethernet cable, no change.
:(

·
Registered
504 Posts
LKAS fault is happening continually now, basically unusable. USB-C cable feels solid... I replaced Ethernet cable, no change.
:(
Remove the car harness black box and put everything back to normal and see if everything is okay to make sure you didn't damage the stock harness. I'd run naked for a day or two and see what happens.

General note (not just you): Be careful when removing those cables in the LKAS system. Never ever pull them out by the wires. Always try to grab the plastic connector and pull from there. Yes, that's not easy. The LKAS connector has a button/tab you have to press to release it.

If everything is working okay with only the stock wiring, then install the car harness box and run just that with no Comma2 installed (I think you might need the ODB giraffe/ethernet to power it, just don't connect the USB-C. The car harness box will just route the stock data through. This will make sure the car harness wiring isn't broken.

Or just contact Comma and tell them you are having problems. Either return under the 30 day guarantee or get an exchange under warranty.

Do you have a Comma2 or Comma3? Sometimes not finding the car (LKAS fault) is a sign of the device going kaput. You may need to warranty.

More caution: With a Comma2 the soldered-in USB-port is delicate, unfortunately. It's heavily advised not to wiggle the connector when plugging or unplugging it. Just pull or push straight in/out. If you wiggle it too much it will damage the connection and cause issues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm dying to know what have you decided?

You got me thinking about this upgrade. We got the comma 2 at the end of it's life and only comma 3 is totally ready for the new features to come. I still have up to January 21. My major hesitation is that they say that some forks may not work and the jvePilot has everything I need better than OpenPilot.
End of life for C2 isn't a concern. The EON / NEO was end of lifed but the community forks still support it.

Either way if the C2 was end of life'd today I'd be very happy with how it drives today. I have zero complaints. 0.8.9 has been a good build to drive on. $1000 well spent.

Because it is Open Source, even if the software regressed and then Comma end of life'd it in a broken state, I can go back to jvepilot 0.8.9 and be happy with that forever.

The benefits of the C3 are pretty much hardware. In theory better reliability since it's custom-built for high temperature and is fanless (C2 has a fan), but it hasn't been out long so that hasn't been tested. C2s WILL break eventually. They are literally Chinese-brand cell phones with a giant heatsink and fan strapped to them. They aren't meant for the type of operation Comma is putting them through.

The main benefit of a C2 is ownership BEYOND the 1 year warranty. If you're technically inclined they are easy to repair since they are a cell phone in a case. You can order one off ebay and all the software is open sourced to install it. There are wiki instructions that hold your hand.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If anyone wants a demo of where the system shines here's a short 1 minute video of highway use. Two lane changes (car did it all itself no hands... as normal you turn on the blinker and then nudge the wheel to indicate you want to change lanes and the Comma takes over) and navigating a very slight curve at 0:50 (along with correctly not taking the exit during the curve).

Note: This was not recorded by me. Wife was in the back seat with the kids. Drive responsibly. I generally keep my hands on or near the bottom of the wheel.

In general a Comma won't make a Pacifica a self-driving car. You still must pay attention. It does make road trips immensely less tiring.

You don't realize how much mental concentration you are exerting doing mundane tasks like keeping a car within 2 lines until you don't have to do it anymore. That doesn't mean I don't pay attention to what the car is doing. But the car being able to steer itself lets you focus on what other idiots are doing more. With an autosteer system at the end of a 4 hour road trip you feel mentally a lot less groggy/tired (your body still feels tired from sitting).

It's also a bit of a safety aid for doing mundane things everyone does in a car like taking a drink.

Finally, it's a safety aid should the worst happen and you fall asleep or have a medical event. My wife's cousin had a seizure at 2am on the road and rolled his car in a ditch. Fractured his leg in 20 places and he has a limp and leg pain for life.

If the Comma detects you not paying attention it will not give up the wheel. It will still drive. It just blares a siren very loudly.

I'm a firm believer in these systems. They can be abused, yes, but they also will save lives.

As for Comma hardware, yes it's kludgy. But keep in mind you are pretty much installing the #1 ranked steer assist system you can buy, period. (Consumer Reports ranks it above Tesla AutoPilot and Cadillac Supercruise)

Full disclosure: The biggest negative of a Comma with the Pacifica is the electric power steering system has an internal torque limit (for your safety, so the car can't override you), so you MUST take over for very sharp curves. The comma will warn you when this occurs, although it does it pretty much as you are entering the curve. Now you'll only encounter this in highway driving in the cities. I've driven 120 mile stretches between major cities on the Federal Interstate without touching the wheel once. For what it's worth, the Pacifica is a very good car with OpenPilot as it does allow the system to use a good amount of torque to drive on 99.9% of the Interstate. When it happens it is not a big deal, you just grab the wheel and steer. The system does not "override you" or you don't need to "override it". You can grab the wheel at any time, even when the Comma is steering. The system is not capable of ever overpowering you when you are steering the wheel due to the software in the power steering system itself, which the Comma does not alter.

Reactions: Dsgnai

·
Registered
233 Posts
Remove the car harness black box and put everything back to normal and see if everything is okay to make sure you didn't damage the stock harness. I'd run naked for a day or two and see what happens.

General note (not just you): Be careful when removing those cables in the LKAS system. Never ever pull them out by the wires. Always try to grab the plastic connector and pull from there. Yes, that's not easy. The LKAS connector has a button/tab you have to press to release it.

If everything is working okay with only the stock wiring, then install the car harness box and run just that with no Comma2 installed (I think you might need the ODB giraffe/ethernet to power it, just don't connect the USB-C. The car harness box will just route the stock data through. This will make sure the car harness wiring isn't broken.

Or just contact Comma and tell them you are having problems. Either return under the 30 day guarantee or get an exchange under warranty.

Do you have a Comma2 or Comma3? Sometimes not finding the car (LKAS fault) is a sign of the device going kaput. You may need to warranty.

More caution: With a Comma2 the soldered-in USB-port is delicate, unfortunately. It's heavily advised not to wiggle the connector when plugging or unplugging it. Just pull or push straight in/out. If you wiggle it too much it will damage the connection and cause issues.

Just unplugging the USB C from the Comma, the car runs fine, no issues. The LKAS error first only happened as soon as some event was happening, such as setting the cruise, or pressing the brake... however its now happening in the middle of just cruising. At first it felt like a software issue, but now I have no idea. I have had it more than thirty days. Going on a 1,000 mile trip tomorrow and was really hoping to use it :(

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just unplugging the USB C from the Comma, the car runs fine, no issues. The LKAS error first only happened as soon as some event was happening, such as setting the cruise, or pressing the brake... however its now happening in the middle of just cruising. At first it felt like a software issue, but now I have no idea. I have had it more than thirty days. Going on a 1,000 mile trip tomorrow and was really hoping to use it :(
You might be able to fix it in time. My recommendation:

1. Unplug the car harness black box (the thing you install up in the mirror). Plug the LKAS cable back into the Chrysler LKAS unit. Then unplug the ODB2 dongle (Giraffe). Basically put everything back to stock. Check if everything works.

If everything is working stock (drive with no LKAS errors) then:

2. In the comma2 uninstall jvepilot.

3. Connect everything back up, being careful with the wiring and making sure connectors are fully seated.

4. Turn on the van and install stock openpilot.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Now that I am thinking about it.. at some point my steering wheel has become offset like 5-10 degrees from center. To keep the car going straight, and also the natural resting position of the steering wheel, is about 5-10 degrees clockwise from 12 o'clock.

1. Could this be a problem? Some sensor seeing steering wheel is not centered?
2. How did this even happen and how do I get it back?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Now that I am thinking about it.. at some point my steering wheel has become offset like 5-10 degrees from center. To keep the car going straight, and also the natural resting position of the steering wheel, is about 5-10 degrees clockwise from 12 o'clock.

1. Could this be a problem? Some sensor seeing steering wheel is not centered?
2. How did this even happen and how do I get it back?
I have never heard of that happening, that is weird.

I assume maybe a dealer can take a look at it. As far as I know the steering wheel is just mounted to the steering column so it can be just taken off and realigned. Either that or someone in your family hit a curb and the alignment is off :p

When your steering wheel is crooked and you drive on a straight road and you LET GO of the steering wheel does the vehicle continue to go straight or does it veer off the road quickly? If it veers then your alignment is bad.

Either way like I said uninstall everything and make sure it's working. Then install it all again and go stock OpenPilot. In the settings menus there's a Clear Calibration button. Do that and you'll have a to drive a bit to calibrate. Yes OpenPilot will compensate for offset steering wheel, that is part of the calibration process.

If you get it working with everything disconnected and it's still not working when connected with Stock OpenPilot, one last shot is your Panda software got corrupt. There's a command you can run on the device to manually force a re-flash.

There's some instructions to reflash on the Comma wiki, but someone makes some software to do it here: GitHub - spektor56/OpenpilotToolkit

·
Registered
504 Posts
I hope you receive this before you left.

I upgraded to jvepilot 0.8.10 today and got my first ever LKAS fault.

Downgrade back to 0.8.9

Edit: the creator didn't tag 0.8.9 release but you can go to 0.8.7 which worke

Enter this on setup

Code:
https://github.com/j-vanetten/openpilot/releases/tag/jvePilot-0.8.7(v3.5)
Lesson learned don't update software before a big road trip

·
Registered
504 Posts
Edit: I'm not sure the above works, I'd probably recommend going back to stock OpenPilot.

To work with 0.8.10, jve rewrote some things so there's probably a bug he has to work out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So before leaving, I re-seated every connector, and used AlfaOBD to "Reset steering pull compenstation".
jvePilot went 500+ miles w/o a problem, it was glorious.

Next day however, I got an LKAS fault 30 minutes in to the drive... I rebooted the Comma, got a vehicle identification error a few seconds after enabling.

Rebooted again and it worked for awhile... until I made a pit stop and put it in park. LKAS error....

Could not get it to work again. Shut everything down, engine off and all... fiddled with the wiring, restarted engine and everything and it worked great until the last 10 miles of my trip.... got off the interstate, hit set cruise, and boom LKAS error.

This thing is amazing when it works. I have a feeling it has to do with the Panda. What exactly does that device do anyway, convert LKAS data to some format over USB C ?

Edit: I was getting LKAS errors with stock openpilot, so if you think it might be due to the latest jvePilot update, it may be upstream from openpilot.

·
Registered
504 Posts
So before leaving, I re-seated every connector, and used AlfaOBD to "Reset steering pull compenstation".
jvePilot went 500+ miles w/o a problem, it was glorious.

Next day however, I got an LKAS fault 30 minutes in to the drive... I rebooted the Comma, got a vehicle identification error a few seconds after enabling.

Rebooted again and it worked for awhile... until I made a pit stop and put it in park. LKAS error....

Could not get it to work again. Shut everything down, engine off and all... fiddled with the wiring, restarted engine and everything and it worked great until the last 10 miles of my trip.... got off the interstate, hit set cruise, and boom LKAS error.

This thing is amazing when it works. I have a feeling it has to do with the Panda. What exactly does that device do anyway, convert LKAS data to some format over USB C ?

Edit: I was getting LKAS errors with stock openpilot, so if you think it might be due to the latest jvePilot update, it may be upstream from openpilot.
Correct, today I installed stock 0.8.10 OpenPilot and almost immediately it causes FCW and Cruise Control messages.

I'm getting the correct link so people can force back to jvePilot 0.8.9 if they want. I drove a few times last week on 0.8.9 to work and it was working fine.

I think the version I have the most miles on is 0.8.8 or 0.8.7

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have used the Comma 2 and the Comma 3 on the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. It works amazingly well.

You are still the driver, and you are still actively driving. You must pay attention. You must keep your hands on the wheel. Openpilot doesn't "drive" the car for you. It maintains your speed and distance from the car in front of you and it keeps you centered in your lane, and it has a feature to make automatic lane changes. But you still have to pay attention to other drivers, and intersections and everything that you would normally attend to while driving.

The Comma 2 is the best value in my opinion. The Comma 3 has the most future potential.
On FCA vehicles stock Openpilot can give some unusual errors at times and for that reason JVEPilot is the best Openpilot fork to use, in my opinion.

The easiest way to install jvePilot is to factory reset and use this Custom Software URL:

Chrysler Pacificas from 2017 to 2019 allow the steering to be controlled down to 9 MPH.
Chrysler Pacificas from 2020 and 2021 only allow steering to be controlled at 39 MPH and above.

It is possible to modifiy the Pacificia to allow Openpilot to steer all the way down to 0 MPH. This allows you to use Openpilot in stop-and-go traffic and maintain steering control the entire time.
The modification involves adding a White Panda to the Starboard to intercept the signals from the EPS. The White Panda tells the car that it is always going 39 MPH (or above) to keep the lane keep assist engaged and allow Openpilot to steer to 0 MPH

White Panda photo below

I think it is an amazing device and well worth every penny.

Please DM me if you have any questions.

Alex

Other Information:
White Panda Install Video

Fork Comparison:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Please help… nube here… I am looking at my new comma three in my new 2021 PHEV. I see “custom software”. What URL do I load to get the JVEPILOT folk to load? Just
https://github.com/j-vanetten/openpilot/releases/tag/jvePilot-0.8.9. ??
Thanks in advance for the upgrade
I couldn't get the correct link to install using the Comma installer. I think it doesn't like the tag parentheses.

I forked it and am re-tagging and will see if the installer likes that.

For the record, the bit.ly/jvePilot-release isn't completely broken, but you CAN get LKAS errors.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It is possible to modifiy the Pacificia to allow Openpilot to steer all the way down to 0 MPH. This allows you to use Openpilot in stop-and-go traffic and maintain steering control the entire time.
The modification involves adding a White Panda to the Starboard to intercept the signals from the EPS. The White Panda tells the car that it is always going 39 MPH (or above) to keep the lane keep assist engaged and allow Openpilot to steer to 0 MPH

White Panda photo below

I think it is an amazing device and well worth every penny.

Please DM me if you have any questions.

Alex

Other Information:
White Panda Install Video
I've known about the White Panda mod for a while, but it's definitely not for novice users.

The largest drawback is you are lying to the power steering system that you are driving 39 mph all the time even if you are going 10 mph.

The issue is power steering motors normally increase their "help" they give as the speed gets lower. If you do the WP mod your power steering will always seem "heavy" and will take more effort.

The people here are probably less tech savvy, I wouldn't push this mod too much here since there's a lot more that can go wrong. The tech savvy people will make their way to discord and discover it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I removed the parenthesis, the Comma installer will probably accept one of these:

Note: The smiskol is a helper script. If you type the bit.ly/jvePilot-release into a web browser you'll see it just redirects to smiskol with j-vanettens information. I copied his repository 1-for-1 so these do not have any changes:

Code:
https://smiskol.com/fork/jnadke/jvePilot-0.8.9
Code:
https://smiskol.com/fork/jnadke/jvePilot-0.8.8
Code:
https://smiskol.com/fork/jnadke/jvePilot-0.8.7

Entering one of these likely means you will NOT get software updates.

0.8.7 was the first release that supported C3. It was before they updated to the new driver monitoring. The driver monitoring was extremely lax. This version also had aggressive (not hard braking) slowing for curves. I think I put 300 miles on this verison.

0.8.8 was the new driver monitoring. I had a lot of monitoring warnings but this release drove well, I drove maybe 500 miles on it.

0.8.9 I drove a bit while my Tesla was in the shop. I didn't see any issues with it but I only put about 70 miles on it.

Obviously if you are confident with SSH you can just SSH into the comma and install the tagged version there with git.

161 - 180 of 212 Posts