2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We just took delivery of our 2017 Limited a few days ago and this morning my wife opened the hatch using the handle with the car locked, key fob in her pocket and the alarm went off (honking horn, lights flashing). I thought she accidentally hit the panic button but she didn't. I had to press the unlock button on the fob to shut off the alarm. Is this normal? Why wouldn't the car see that the fob was in range? If the car thought the fob was out of range, why would it allow the hatch to open?

Thanks,
Ferg
i open up my hatch all the time with the van lock, fob in pocket. I like to put the groceries in the van before taking my kids out of the cart. Never had the alarm go off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Digging up an old thread. This started happening in the last month. Not sure how it was triggered, but I haven't touched any settings. Problem is that it doesn't happen all the time.

Any updates on resolution?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the same issue with the alarm sounding when opening the lift gate. However, I have recently discovered that the reason why the alarm goes off is because the van is NOT LOCKED! The front four doors are, but the lift gate is not. I took it to the service dept. to have it looked at and when we did the final check this is what happened. We locked the van from the service writers desk and walked to my van which is about 50 feet away, I grabbed the lift gate handle to try and open it, and guess what happened. The lift gate opened and sounded the alarm! They are currently in contact with Chrysler Tech Support to try and figure this out. I will update this post when I hear something. I suggest anyone having these issues to perform the no key fob test to see if it will open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: They have determined the rear hatch handle, sensor, and lock assembly are bad and have ordered a new one. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this happen today too. I opened the rear hatch with the handle while the key fob was in my purse and the alarm started going off. I shut it off with the key fob after I dug it out of my purse. I have the same questions. Why would the hatch unlock and then setoff the alarm? I tried reproducing the issue when I got home and could not.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have had this happen to me twice or maybe 3 times. I frequently open the rear hatch with the Pac locked, so it is very intermittent, but very annoying nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Since I last posted that the alarm never goes off, it's starting to go off now... Like others, I often open the lift gate using the latch with fob in pocket. It always opens even when doors are locked but now the alarm sometimes goes off. I can say that now, it's occurring more often. I have also had a few occasions where my lift gate closes but doesn't laugh all the way. It's also starting to making a lot more interesting sounds as it opens or close... Like an old man getting out of bed. I'm taking it in Friday June 29th for the cruise control recall and having them look at the lift gate as well. They will also be looking at the tie rod pop sound that's rather common in the Pacifica.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Alarm sounds when opening rear hatch

I just discovered a repeatable problem with my Limited. If I open the rear hatch when the vehicle is locked (fob in my pocket) the theft alarm sounds. It does not do this for any of the other doors. If I unlock with the remote, or any other door first, the alarm does not trigger. Is this normal, or have I found my first defect?

I honestly can't remember if it used to work or if I have gone six months without ever doing this sequence.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just discovered a repeatable problem with my Limited. If I open the rear hatch when the vehicle is locked (fob in my pocket) the theft alarm sounds. It does not do this for any of the other doors. If I unlock with the remote, or any other door first, the alarm does not trigger. Is this normal, or have I found my first defect?

I honestly can't remember if it used to work or if I have gone six months without ever doing this sequence.

I frequently open the liftgate using the handless feature before unlocking the van and the alarm doesn't sound off, sorry to say. :(

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

I hate to say that this might be in the glitch category of problems. I just tried to do what you did with my van and the alarm didn't sound. However, I can remember a few times when the liftgate set off the alarm in the past. If it continues to set off the alarm, then it would make sense to have it checked.

Here is a link to a thread you might be interested in since one person (posts 23 & 24) may have had a solution to the problem.
http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/5778-open-rear-hatch-alarm-goes-off-3.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I hate to say that this might be in the glitch category of problems. I just tried to do what you did with my van and the alarm didn't sound. However, I can remember a few times when the liftgate set off the alarm in the past. If it continues to set off the alarm, then it would make sense to have it checked.

Here is a link to a thread you might be interested in since one person (posts 23 & 24) may have had a solution to the problem.
http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/5778-open-rear-hatch-alarm-goes-off-3.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools
Thanks for the link. I was not aware of that discussion. I'll see what I can learn from it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Since I last posted that the alarm never goes off, it's starting to go off now... Like others, I often open the lift gate using the latch with fob in pocket. It always opens even when doors are locked but now the alarm sometimes goes off. I can say that now, it's occurring more often. I have also had a few occasions where my lift gate closes but doesn't laugh all the way. It's also starting to making a lot more interesting sounds as it opens or close... Like an old man getting out of bed. I'm taking it in Friday June 29th for the cruise control recall and having them look at the lift gate as well. They will also be looking at the tie rod pop sound that's rather common in the Pacifica.
Did you get an answer? I'm having the same problem.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It looks like I am not the only one experiencing this. Apparently opening the hatch with the handle does not always disable the alarm. Using the remote, or unlocking the doors first is the temporary work around.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It looks like I am not the only one experiencing this. Apparently opening the hatch with the handle does not always disable the alarm. Using the remote, or unlocking the doors first is the temporary work around.
Does the same thing happen if you use the hands free/kick option? Just curious if it's just a handle issue.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I finally got video of it occurring... And then my passenger slider wouldn't work mechanically or electrically... Just stuck.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
They reset the module and that seemed to work but then it didn't. Got it on video too. I'll upload when I'm on my computer

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
897 Posts
Don't know if this provides a clue.

I have an aftermarket alarm on the van (which was a mistake*) and the alarm goes off under these circumstances:
  • Any time -- if the liftgate is opened (handle or fob) before unlocking, the alarm goes off (this alarm just honks -- no siren)
  • If the car not manually locked and the alarm activates passively, if either sliding door is opened with the handle or fob.
Which I think means the alarm module is not recognizing the "unlock all" signal from a door/gate mechanism.

Don't know if this behavior translates to a van that does not have this aftermarket module, but just offering it.

* why a mistake? The alarm module, which I had on the previous 3 T & Cs, was a real downgrade from previous performance. I got primarily as a reminder to make sure all doors were closed and that I locked the van. On the T & Cs, it would give a warning chirp if a door was ajar when I pressed lock and also chirped when passively arming (which meant the van was unlocked.) A good memory jogger that was useful once or twice a month when we would be making many trips between the house and van, or a particularly noisy family unloading.

But I really disliked this new model, that they insisted was the only one for the Pacifica:
1) No siren for beeps or alarm -- just the horn - something I wasn't told in advance. I grumbled a bit, but then got surprise #2.
2) Would honk on EVERY door open, even if unlocked. So if I unlocked with the fob (honk 1,) my wife got into passenger side (honk 2,), the kids/grandkids used the sliding doors (honks 3 & 4,) I put something in the liftgate (honk 5) and then I got in (honk 6 when I touched the handle.)
I got rapidly tired of the flock of geese (and I think the neighbors did, too,) so I had that feature silenced, which killed the purpose I had it installed for in the first place.

P.S. Haven't left a sliding door open, but did forget to lock a few times........ such is life.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
897 Posts
21 - 40 of 53 Posts