2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Gas models with ESS small auxiliary battery stopped working as of 6/2/2018. This has affected the start from a distance on the Key Fob. The Authorized Dealer "Auto Nation" parts manager and service manager stated that the auxiliary battery has been on back order for over a month. (there are over 27 other owners waiting for the battery) Chrysler is not or has not filled any axulliary battery back orders. What is happening???. We've only had the vehicle a year w/9000 miles. Is this the start of future problems with this ESS system??? This was the main feature that attracted us to this vehicle.
Wow...very surprised to hear of that kind of a parts backlog. How many miles are on the van? Was it sitting for awhile before you purchased it? I'm fairly sure the ESS uses a conventional lead-acid battery that's susceptible to sitting for long periods of time and becoming discharged. Once they discharge they suffer permanent damage.

Hope they get you running soon!

I have the ESS feature in mine. I didn't think I was going to like it, but I left it on to try it out. After driving with it for a few weeks now, I guess I'm kind of indifferent toward it. I've been averaging 14 miles to the gallon in my truck for over a decade so I'll probably leave it on to save every ounce of fuel I can to make up for it though.
I think that every little bit helps, and over the life of the van those little savings may add up to something. All the fear over wearing out a starter seems a bit misplaced to me, this isn't new technology. ESS has been around in various forms for quite awhile, and starter failures don't seem that common since they're designed explicitly for the increased duty cycle.

Apparently these things don't tolerate sitting, though. I'll definitely keep that in mind if I ever have to store the van...perhaps a battery tender or occasional charging is a good idea if being parked for a few months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the ESS in my 18 Pacifica and I wish I didn't. Summer in Florida is hot and the ac system cannot recover while sitting at our average 2 minute traffic lights. Our main interstate in the area is I4 and it can be stop and go for over 30 miles. Again when the system shuts down and the car begins to heat up from the sun the ac cannot recover while the car is stopped. But my main concern is that the Pacifica cannot be equipped with wiring for a trailer hitch. See the note on the factory wiring harness NOT FOR VEHICLES WITH ESS. This is a deal killer in my book.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't mind driving with ESS but I keep thinking that some day that battery will go. The question I am asking is will the cost of replacing the ESS battery and/or servicing ESS be more than the gas I saved using it? To me, that is a big unknown and a flaw in the concept of ESS.

Side note, I have been shutting ESS off as I park the car. I hate it when I stop the cat in the garage and the car shuts down if I am not quick to get it in PARK. Then when I get it to PARK, the engine starts again only to have me shut it off again. That is dumb!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have the ESS in my 18 Pacifica and I wish I didn't. Summer in Florida is hot and the ac system cannot recover while sitting at our average 2 minute traffic lights. Our main interstate in the area is I4 and it can be stop and go for over 30 miles. Again when the system shuts down and the car begins to heat up from the sun the ac cannot recover while the car is stopped. But my main concern is that the Pacifica cannot be equipped with wiring for a trailer hitch. See the note on the factory wiring harness NOT FOR VEHICLES WITH ESS. This is a deal killer in my book.
If you ease up on the brake JUST A LITTLE, the engine starts and stays started. No big deal.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't mind driving with ESS but I keep thinking that some day that battery will go. The question I am asking is will the cost of replacing the ESS battery and/or servicing ESS be more than the gas I saved using it? To me, that is a big unknown and a flaw in the concept of ESS.
Do some research on what kills batteries and how they age. Current draw isn't one of the causes, the battery doesn't really care how many times it's used to start. It cares about electrolyte evaporation and being deeply discharged, and not much else. The ESS system shouldn't shorten the life of a battery.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was not worried about the effect of ESS on the battery but, let's face it, after some time I will have to replace the ESS battery. Considering the price of the battery, will money saved in gas with the ESS have to be spent on a new battery?

Essentially, while ESS may save gas, will it really save me money over the life cycle of the car?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was not worried about the effect of ESS on the battery but, let's face it, after some time I will have to replace the ESS battery. Considering the price of the battery, will money saved in gas with the ESS have to be spent on a new battery?

Essentially, while ESS may save gas, will it really save me money over the life cycle of the car?
Aaah, gotcha. I think that's going to vary widely depending on how the car is driven.

Some rough numbers reflecting my driving. I figure it saves about 3 minutes of idling per day as I go between traffic lights. Assuming I drive 200 days/year, that's about 10 hours of idling saved per year. Others have posted that Chrysler 3.6L consumes about 0.6 gallons per hour, so that's about $15 in gas each year. Not a lot, but if the battery lasts longer than 5-6 years I should come out ahead.

Of course the component costs and longevity are way too soon to judge accurately, so this may vary widely.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have two recent occurrences of the second row door on the driver's side opening by surprise. Once when I was getting out of the van and this morning when I opened the driver's door. Is it possible that I somehow bumped the remote button accidentally? Yes, but I don't think so. With the reports about a weak battery causing strange behavior, I set the cluster to charging voltage. The voltage seems to hover around 14.2 while diving and idling. I noticed when stopped and the ESS turned the engine off, the voltage dropped dropped down to approximately 12.5 after a few seconds and the ESS turned the engine back on. It was hot today and the AC was turned on so I think the ESS system turned the engine back on again because of the cabin temperature. The van seems to be working as it should except for the two door opening issues that I'm not certain what happened.
I have been using the ESS system for a few months now and it does seem to work as it should. There are a few times when it gets a little annoying. Like mentioned above, when stopping in my driveway, it is difficult to stop and turn the selector to Park without the ESS shutting off and then me shutting it off again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Timing the ESS shutdown time sounds like an interesting project. I think I will try that. Without a regular commute (being retired), numbers might be meaningless but still I am a numbers guy so I will give it a go.

Hmmmm let's see. Measure shutoff time, total engine on time, number of shutdowns, elapsed miles. Gee this is sounding like spreadsheet opportunity!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Where is the button for the ESS? My '17 Limited does not have it and I am dreading it on new '19 Limited.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just below the main display it's the big capital "A" with a circle around it and "OFF" just under the A. Push and ESS is disabled until the next start.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just below the main display it's the big capital "A" with a circle around it and "OFF" just under the A. Push and ESS is disabled until the next start.
Ahh OK - thank you. I could not see it clearly in the pictures. I have to deal with it in my Alfa and I don't like it but nearly every vehicle has it now.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ahh OK - thank you. I could not see it clearly in the pictures. I have to deal with it in my Alfa and I don't like it but nearly every vehicle has it now.
Thanks, John
Get the module that kills it. Expensive, but it works great.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have about 5k on our Pacifica, and the ESS system has not functioned in months. The EVIC reports the system is not ready because the battery is constantly charging.

I expect the ESS battery is dead. On the one hand, i hate ESS so it doesn’t bother me. On the other hand, it SHOULD work, and doesn’t, which DOES bother me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will be unpopular here, as I actualy like and use the ESS. Have had our new (used) '17 Limited for 5 days now, and am seeing about 4 mpg greater than our '10 T&C 4.0 around town. My only beef is that when I enter the garage and stop, the ESS activates. Thats fine, but when I shift into Park, the engine restarts and then I shut it off again. This is ridiculous. The car "knows" its in the garage anyway due to the pile of cameras telling it such. Is there a trick to keep off while I shift into park? If no, is there a method for running this up the flagpole at Chrysler?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Out of curiosity, what happens if you just turn the car off instead of shifting it to park? I have the hybrid and I feel like when I did this it shut the car off and shifted to park, but I'd have to go outside and verify that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Out of curiosity, what happens if you just turn the car off instead of shifting it to park? I have the hybrid and I feel like when I did this it shut the car off and shifted to park, but I'd have to go outside and verify that.
I will give it a try later today and report back. Either way, this should be an easy programming fix. With the uber focus on fuel useage, you'd think they would want the .4 oz of fuel that this probably wastes.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts