2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to other threads some owners have made cable adapters to plug the 120V charger into 240V which halves the charging time.

Has this been tried by a significant number of owners?
It could be that there is reduced voltage margin and some units will fail, has anyone had a problem?

The charger is a Lear Intertek 4000982. I have been unable to find much info the internet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
According to other threads some owners have made cable adapters to plug the 120V charger into 240V which halves the charging time.

It could be that there is reduced voltage margin and some units will fail, has anyone had a problem?

The charger is a Lear Intertek 4000982. I have been unable to find much info the internet.
I've done this, works great. I used a old air compressor 240v I had in the garage. Going to make a couple other connector adapters for various 240v plugs. Also home depot has some RV adapters that are 5 bucks, depending on the connector style you need.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

I did it and have written about it here. I am confident that since it works, it means that my charger is built for 240V. As a result I have no concern that the charger is more likely to fail than any other charger built for 240V.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I did it and have written about it here. I am confident that since it works, it means that my charger is built for 240V. As a result I have no concern that the charger is more likely to fail than any other charger built for 240V.
agreed, I've had mine going for 3 nights now. No concerns at all, first night I checked it every hour for about 3hrs but since haven't checked it once other than to see how fast the van is charging. After 1hr tonight it was at 23%

·
Registered
5 Posts

I had a 30 Amp 240V dryer plug in my garage which I use with the 120V charger that came with my Pacifica Hybrid. You can either buy an adapter cable on Etsy.

or make your own following the instructions on (google search for "carcharging us bolt volt adapter" without the quotes.)

When the battery is completely empty the car reports it will take ~5 hour to charge using the original charger plugged into 240V. When I plug in my car it reports that it is attached to a level 2 charger. If I used a normal 6.6 kW level 2 charger it is supposed to take 2 hours but 5 hours is fast enough for me and it only cost $20 to build the adapter cable.

My understanding is the charger is build to handle 120V or 240V so in my opinion this should not be any more risk of failure. However, have been some people claim that this against electrical code which could be a risk. People have been doing the same thing with the 120 charger that come with the 2016 or newer Chevy Volt or Bolts.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had a 30 Amp 240V dryer plug in my garage which I use with the 120V charger that came with my Pacifica Hybrid. You can either buy an adapter cable on Etsy.

or make your own following the instructions on (google search for "carcharging us bolt volt adapter" without the quotes.)
Here is my write-up about the cable I made: http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/26714-240v-charging-cable.html#post354642

When the battery is completely empty the car reports it will take ~5 hour to charge using the original charger plugged into 240V. When I plug in my car it reports that it is attached to a level 2 charger. If I used a normal 6.6 kW level 2 charger it is supposed to take 2 hours but 5 hours is fast enough for me and it only cost $20 to build the adapter cable.

My understanding is the charger is build to handle 120V or 240V so in my opinion this should not be any more risk of failure. However, have been some people claim that this against electrical code which could be a risk. People have been doing the same thing with the 120 charger that come with the 2016 or newer Chevy Volt or Bolts.
If the charger was not built for 240V, as soon as you plugged it in the first time to 240V, you would smoke it. If you don't smoke it, and it does work, there is no doubt at all that it was made for 240V. It is true that it is against code to make an adapter that will apply 240V to a standard 120V socket, because someone will surely try to plug a 120V device into it despite how many warning labels you put on it. If you can carefully control who has access to your adapter, then you need not worry. If you cannot, however, be absolutely certain that someone else won't do something stupid, then be prepared for precisely that to happen. If you don't make the "stupid" path impossible, someone will take it, and sometimes they will still do so when you make your best effort to idiot-proof what you are working with. Product liability lawyers have a field day with that kind of thing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been using it for 2/3 weeks now and it works great. Cutting half the time is pretty good in home. It only cost me $15 and I build the converter for the dryer 220 volt plug. It charges below 5 hours and i am happy with that. I no longer feel the need to set up 220 volt 30 amp circuit. Saves me from spending $1200.

thanks to Forum owner for setting this out. Only way I found out is here.

CM

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After trepidation I made a cable for 240V and it is working fine.

Cable was made by splicing a dryer cable to a 15A extension cord (sold for air conditioners). Staggered, soldered and double insulated the splices.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

I don't think either of those will work nor will anything else you buy at Walmart or any other retail store for that matter. While those adapters will allow you to plug your stock EVSE into a 240V outlet, those adapters will not pass both hot lines through to the 115V outlet - they will only connect one leg. If you don't buy the Etsy cable, you need to make one yourself or get someone to do so for you. The problem is that a cable that works will NOT be in code or UL, therefore nobody with a legal team will sell it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trying to do some research on a level 2 charger. So are you guys just modifying the level one charger we got with the PacHy from Chrysler to plug into a 240V receptacle (like a washer/dryer)? Or did you modify the receptacle to give the appropriate voltage and amps to charge the van with the level 1 charger but at level 2 speed? I'm a little confused and trying to figure out the best way to set level 2 charging up in my garage, be it electrician changing the receptacle and buying a level 2 charging cable. Thanks!

Sean

·
Registered
237 Posts
Trying to do some research on a level 2 charger. So are you guys just modifying the level one charger we got with the PacHy from Chrysler to plug into a 240V receptacle (like a washer/dryer)? Or did you modify the receptacle to give the appropriate voltage and amps to charge the van with the level 1 charger but at level 2 speed? I'm a little confused and trying to figure out the best way to set level 2 charging up in my garage, be it electrician changing the receptacle and buying a level 2 charging cable. Thanks!

Sean
Depends on how much you want to spend and how fast of a charge you want. The least expensive and also the slowest level 2 is to build an adapter for the original EVSE. I like to use the a 4 prong dryer cord on one end and a NEMA 5-20 socket on the other. An electrician would never wire a 240v outlet to one that looks like a 120v outlet. You would need to wire up a 14-30 receptacle and parts and wiring should cost $75-$100 if you DIY. This will fully charge your car in about 5 hours.

If you want faster charging you'll have to spend at least $400 for a 32 Amp EVSE. Plus $50-$100 for a 14-50 receptacle. This will fully charge your car in about 2 hours. These prices are just parts, electrical labor could be costly. Some cities may need a permit so check with your city.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Sean
I think you need to determine the largest time frame your ok charging in at home to choose.

EVSE's are amperage controlled. The modified L1 will provide 12amps and will charge to full in 6hrs at 208v and closer to 4.5hr at 240v.

There are choices for 12A, 16A, 24A, 30A upto 80A but the PacHy doesnt support above 30A.

So thats around 2hr at 240v and 30amp or 4.75hr for the 12amp.

You get the idea I'm sure. I have 208v at home and 6hrs works out fine for me. I can get home at midnight and be ready for work. I also have options to uses public chargers should I need to and typically do on weekends.

There has been less than a handful of days I could have used the 2hr charge time in 6months.

If your coming and going with a couple hours between maybe that lifestyle would benefit from a proper 30a EVSE or simply to futureproof your place.

Theres no drawback to fast charge times other than installation cost.

Actually, the faster you charge the less charge loss waste occurs from the computers, pumps etc running during charging. If electricity is expensive you want to stay away from L1 charging as it could cost you almost double.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Works very well for me. been over 6 weeks of use with no issues.
Below is the original post i made when i first put the upgrade in place.

I agree that you need to control access to the 240v. but as only we (family) have access to the garage then i feel there is no issue

Hi All,
Thanks for this thread, very useful.

Over the weekend i ran a dedicated 240v - 30a supply to a NEMA TT 30R outlet.
The reason for choosing that outlet is that i found this adapter on Amazon (Camco 55233 RV 30M/15F Amp Power Grip Adapter), and as we do a bit of camping it is perfect for RV sockets too.

I usually start my charge at 7pm when my power goes off-peak and it was hit and miss whether i would have a full charge by the time i left for work at 6am. now with the PacHy getting here juice at double time, i now am not tied to the clock, as long as she is stabled and eating by midnight we are good to go.

Total cost was less that $70CAD including the adapter, I don't need a full level 2 hook up, so this is a win in my books.

I also bought this from amazon (Conntek RV 3-Feet Y Cable Adapter RV 30-Amp Plug to 2 US 3 Prong Connector, 15/20-Amp with Light Indicator) good for camping and charging 2 PacHy,s at once maybe :)

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: 2018-05-16 09_51_02-Conntek RV 3-Feet Y Cable Adapter RV 30-Amp Plug to 2 US 3 Prong Connector, .png
Views: 28
Size: 538.5 KB
ID: 34594 Click image for larger version

Name: 2018-05-16 09_51_56-Camco 55233 RV 30M_15F Amp Power Grip Adapter, Grips - Amazon Canada.png
Views: 24
Size: 583.0 KB
ID: 34602

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
20 Participants
mainesail
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing