Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daily

Votes: 29 96.7%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I plug in on my level 1 every night and it's usually finished by morning unless I get in late like I did last night. Still made it to 98% before time to go to work. My commute this winter took a little more than a full charge there and back so I burned a tiny bit of gas. Yesterday I was able to get there and back for the first time without burning gas but then I charged at a public level 2 for 45 minutes before starting a Skip the Dishes shift. Doing half the shift on electricity means more money in my pocket. When I had a fully electric car I did really well on that with all the free power but I wasn't always able to finish a shift.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I second the notion of plug it in as much as you can . Even if it runs on ice the hybrid will only increase the gas mileage that it utilizes. I think level 2 charging is way to go for duration, cost and overall efficiency. Up here in Ontario Canada I can get 800 Kilometres on a fully filled tank of gas and a charge in the city ( 500 miles ). Not a bad gig considering 99% of all level 2 chargers are free here in Ontario.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I second the notion of plug it in as much as you can . Even if it runs on ice the hybrid will only increase the gas mileage that it utilizes. I think level 2 charging is way to go for duration, cost and overall efficiency. Up here in Ontario Canada I can get 800 Kilometres on a fully filled tank of gas and a charge in the city ( 500 miles ). Not a bad gig considering 99% of all level 2 chargers are free here in Ontario.
Same here in Vancouver Canada for the time-being. There is a plan to switch over to pay public charging in the next year or two.

At home we get cheap power at $0.085/kWh [while gas is 1.729/L ($6.699/gallon)] and they are suggesting to charge around $0.30/kWh publicly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There's a theory that constant recharging of the battery (particularly at higher rates) will eventually degrade its capacity. It's a general principle that applies to all rechargeable batteries.

With that said, I have to admit I recharge daily. It's also worth noting that when charging the battery, even though the readout says "100%", it's really only at 90% capacity for just this reason.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I charge daily. Currently using the stock Level 1, but will switch over to a Level 2 this summer. The cost savings on a storage program make it worth switching to Level 2 for me. I pay 12.5 cents/kwh with the Level 1, but Level 2 on the storage program will go down to 4.4 cents/kwh.\

I'm not too concerned about battery longevity. It'll be whatever it is, but regular charging is likely the best path to lowering costs over time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My daily commute is ~38 miles round-trip, so I charge in twice a day, 50% at home and 50% at office. At home, charging starts at 5am before I head to work so that battery stays at ~45% state of charge overnight as long as possible. On weekends, I charge whenever I can during the day, sometimes up to three times.. I've done almost 100 miles of pure electric some days if I time the errands just right..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts