2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

How do you charge your PacHy's battery?

• Plug in and charge immediately (240V), leaving the battery fully charged for use.

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • Set charging during the overnight hours to maximize green benefit and save money (240V).

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Set charging for the 2 hours immediately prior to PacHy use (240V).

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Use Level 1 charger (120V) and need to charge 14 hours overnight.

Votes: 40 47.6%

• Total voters
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
I have a new 2017 Pacifica Hybrid, and am a little having trouble getting tech info from the dealer, it seems new to them too, but that's not my point here. I've also come up short with Chrysler web tech info., but that may be me too. Anyways...
I'm still using the provided level one charger, and looking to find if the vehicle has a program to set charging times or % level of charge.
I have read much the same about the 80-20% charging patterns, and that's hard to do manually - with planning/doing plugin and disconnect times.
I'm also searching for the "best" level two charger for at home, that maybe has this feature.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When the Pac displays 0% capacity, you are actually at 20% of gross battery capacity, and when it displays 100%, you are at 80% of gross capacity. So, if you just plug in and let it "fully" charge, you are probably being as nice to the battery as you can be, unless you intend to put it in storage.

You can set charging schedules (based on time) on page 3 of the "Hybrid Electric" app on the Uconnect screen in the Pac if that makes sense based on your utility company's time of day charge for electricity. That process is detailed on pages 19 and 20 of the user's guide that came with the Pac.

You'll get lots of different opinions on the "best" level 2 charger for at home. I'm not sure that any of them can determine the Pac's HV battery's state of charge. The onboard controller does that and will request what it needs, but many EVSEs can limit the amount of power and the rate at which they will provide it.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hello,
I have a new 2017 Pacifica Hybrid, and am a little having trouble getting tech info from the dealer, it seems new to them too, but that's not my point here. I've also come up short with Chrysler web tech info., but that may be me too. Anyways...
I'm still using the provided level one charger, and looking to find if the vehicle has a program to set charging times or % level of charge.
I have read much the same about the 80-20% charging patterns, and that's hard to do manually - with planning/doing plugin and disconnect times.
I'm also searching for the "best" level two charger for at home, that maybe has this feature.
Thank you.
The OpenEVSE charger is programmable. You can run an external script which will stop the charging when the charging current will begin to go down. It will leave the battery charged to 90% or so. The only caveat is that you will need to write the script yourself.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The OpenEVSE looks like one fantastic product. I have to admit, however, that I am the tinkerer type, and those that prefer minimal interaction may not find it as attractive as I do.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The OpenEVSE looks like one fantastic product. I have to admit, however, that I am the tinkerer type, and those that prefer minimal interaction may not find it as attractive as I do.
I bought OpenEVSE charger when it was only available as a kit, but they sell it fully assembled now. It is as plug and play as any other EVSE on the market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know what type of li-ion battery the Pacifica uses and where you can read up on the full specs of the cells? It has a 16kwh battery, what chemistry, what cell charge voltage, how many cells, what is the size and weight of the cells and the pack? Etc.. I heard that LG might make the cells?

I have a 2013 Nissan Leaf and a 2018-PacHy. The Leaf has an 80pct “long life” charge mode and a 24kwh battery. I have a Juice Box pro which tracks the charge profile. If you set the Leaf to charge to 100pct, around 93% full, the charger appears kick over from constant current to constant voltage charging where it also has to do load-balancing. It drops from 6kw to 0kw over a one hour period to get to 100pct. At the knee, it has a similar graph profile to a constant voltage charge of a standard li-ion battery.
The Pacifica charges at 6kw up until the last 5 minutes and it has a quick linear ramp down. What I don’t know is if this cutoff ramp-down is just software or if this would be near the natural cutover closer to 90% capacity. See the graphs, the long roll-off is the Leaf, the sharp cutoff with blip is the Pacifica.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the Pac displays 0% capacity, you are actually at 20% of gross battery capacity, and when it displays 100%, you are at 80% of gross capacity. So, if you just plug in and let it "fully" charge, you are probably being as nice to the battery as you can be, unless you intend to put it in storage.

You can set charging schedules (based on time) on page 3 of the "Hybrid Electric" app on the Uconnect screen in the Pac if that makes sense based on your utility company's time of day charge for electricity. That process is detailed on pages 19 and 20 of the user's guide that came with the Pac.

You'll get lots of different opinions on the "best" level 2 charger for at home. I'm not sure that any of them can determine the Pac's HV battery's state of charge. The onboard controller does that and will request what it needs, but many EVSEs can limit the amount of power and the rate at which they will provide it.
If the above is true and the battery is 16KW, then that would only give us 9.6KWH for actual use? Is the battery larger than 16KW? Has anyone measured the KWH's required to charge from 0% to 100%? If it only requires around 10KW to fully charge from 0%, then that means we are getting more than 3 miles/KW (that is getting close to Tesla M3 levels which are 4+miles/KWH). When I use a level two charger capable of supplying 2.88KW/hour (240V * 12A), the vehicle indicates it will take around 5.5 hours to charge from 0% (5.5 * 2.88 = 15.84KW). The on board battery management system surely does not pull 2.88KW for the entire charge cycle. Does anyone have a chart showing the typical charge current curve for a charge cycle from 0% to 100%?

Thanks for any enlightenment in advance!!

Regards, Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the above is true and the battery is 16KW, then that would only give us 9.6KWH for actual use? Is the battery larger than 16KW? Has anyone measured the KWH's required to charge from 0% to 100%? If it only requires around 10KW to fully charge from 0%, then that means we are getting more than 3 miles/KW (that is getting close to Tesla M3 levels which are 4+miles/KWH). When I use a level two charger capable of supplying 2.88KW/hour (240V * 12A), the vehicle indicates it will take around 5.5 hours to charge from 0% (5.5 * 2.88 = 15.84KW). The on board battery management system surely does not pull 2.88KW for the entire charge cycle. Does anyone have a chart showing the typical charge current curve for a charge cycle from 0% to 100%?

Thanks for any enlightenment in advance!!

Regards, Ron
I use 13KWH to charge 0-100%, so it looks like the battery management is doing more of a 10% to 90% range

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use 13KWH to charge 0-100%, so it looks like the battery management is doing more of a 10% to 90% range

Is that 13KWH what goes into the charger or what goes into the battery. Efficiencies are typically 90% or so. So 13KWH at the wall may be 11-12 KWH into the battery.

https://www.veic.org/documents/default-source/resources/reports/an-assessment-of-level-1-and-level-2-electric-vehicle-charging-efficiency.pdf

·
Registered
175 Posts
just got my pachy, battery wasn't charged at dealer, LAME, put it on my juicebox 40 pro tonight, and its only showing 28.4 amp draw.

Maybe i'm confused. does it charge up to 30 amps, the juicebox 40 will only do up to 40, but you need a breaker/wiring, rated at 125% of the max load, so need a 50 amp breaker?

·
Registered
243 Posts
just got my pachy, battery wasn't charged at dealer, LAME, put it on my juicebox 40 pro tonight, and its only showing 28.4 amp draw.

Maybe i'm confused. does it charge up to 30 amps, the juicebox 40 will only do up to 40, but you need a breaker/wiring, rated at 125% of the max load, so need a 50 amp breaker?
The draw sounds about right. It has a 6.6 kWh charger built in, so 6600 W / 240 V = 27.5 A. In your case 6600 W / 28.4 A = 232 V.

Yes, you do need a 50 A breaker for the Juicebox 40.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Are people using the "Hybrid Electric Pages" app of the UConnect system to schedule charging? I have a 19 on ordr that should be here shortly and am planning on just useing the level 1 EVSE.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts