2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I've noticed that sometimes when I start driving on an empty battery (< 1%) the gas engine revs up to charge the batteries, then revs back down, then up again etc. every few seconds or so. It does that for about a minute, while I'm driving down the road and then starts behaving normally.

I think it happens more when I've ended my previous trip with a couple of electric kilometers, so the battery is "extra" empty.

Anyone else noticed this? Is it normal, or is it a sign that something is about to fail?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The battery never is empty as it has a threshold to maintain a soc ( state of charge ) what your experiencing is normal and it’s also going to be affected by stop and go vs non stop and go driving . The engine cycles itself and also isn’t dependant on your speed that your driving at either .

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think it happens more when I've ended my previous trip with a couple of electric kilometers, so the battery is "extra" empty.
Mine does strange things all the time compared to the ICE version. I give up trying to figure it out. I just drive it.

The HV battery never gets "extra" empty. When it shows (< 1%) or in my case 0%, the HV battery always maintains between 25 to 27% on the bottom-end. The top-end when fully charged (100%) never goes above 90%. Your charge status in your instrument cluster 100% to (< 1%) is for consumer info and has nothing to do with the actual remaining or charge of the battery. This is why the 16.6kWh battery only pulls around 12.2kWh for a charge that shows 100% in the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the "reserve" charge and 16kWh vs 12kWh totals and stuff. What I meant by "extra empty" is when I drive in hybrid mode, and end a trip with 4-5 kilometers at low speed with the gas engine off. So if the "reserve" charge is 25-27% remaining, I'd probably be stopping my trip at 24%. The van really needs to charge itself when I start again the following trip, and that seems to be when it revs up and down.

It's good to know that yours does weird things too.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Just a update to “ weird things “ . This cycle is not weird and like all programming has parameters that it has to operate within. A hybrid vehicle operates differently than a regular gas or all electric vehicle , so saying weird as a narrative is not the best way to describe it . It’s basically doing what it’s told to do by the sensors and computers . Happy ehybrid motoring

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, but in that situation I'd expect the gas engine to rev up, and stay pretty much constant until it's satisfied the charge is high enough. Not rev up 2 seconds, pause 2 seconds, then rev up again 2 seconds, etc. That's the part that's weird to me. I'll try to film it the next time it happens, and show you what I mean.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Compared to an ICE version mine is strange. Does yours do this when sitting parked? The only reason I have the display set to oil pressure is for reference to when the ICE is running. Can't be too good on internal engine parts being they ride on hydraulic pressure, but not for brief seconds with every startup. Like I said I have a warranty and just drive it. It will be gone before the warranty runs out. This video has been a long time coming. Have not had time to mess with it.

Parked without and with charge.

And it goes on and on and on........ nonstop.......... Turns a lot of heads in parking lots. I get looks like either I'm stupid or I'm crazy. lol. I have no control over what it does.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow, THAT is weird. Mine doesn't do that when parked, it only does something similar while driving, and not for very long. It's nowhere near as extreme as you, though. It doesn't do that when I have charge, either.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Oh wow, THAT is weird. Mine doesn't do that when parked, it only does something similar while driving, and not for very long. It's nowhere near as extreme as you, though. It doesn't do that when I have charge, either.
It's done it ever since I have had it. I have complained to both Chrysler and my dealer about it. I believe it is bad software programming causing this. They both tell me this is normal operation. I told them whatever, and when it breaks itself you will be replacing the broken parts under warranty. In the video when you see it looks like it is shutting off and then immediately turns back on before the pressure is to 0 it jolts the inside of the vehicle. That clunk sounds around 30PSI are less jolting but you can still feel them. Things like this can be really hard and stressful on parts. But what do I know?

When it breaks they can tow and fix it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@ThisSuckersElectrical

I notice in your videos that the outside temperature is at or below freezing (if one couldn't already tell from the icicles on the wheel well).
Does the ICE turn off and on like this when the weather warms up? Is the behavior the same?
Simply curious if this is some kind of weird cold weather programming in the Hybrid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe it is bad software programming causing this.
Yeah, software is software: if it behaves one way under a certain set of conditions, it'll always behave that way when these conditions are met. Sounds like the conditions are pretty weird in your PacHy, might be a faulty sensor or something.

When it breaks they can tow and fix it.
I guess that's one way to see it!

·
Registered
771 Posts
@ThisSuckersElectrical

I notice in your videos that the outside temperature is at or below freezing (if one couldn't already tell from the icicles on the wheel well).
Does the ICE turn off and on like this when the weather warms up? Is the behavior the same?
Simply curious if this is some kind of weird cold weather programming in the Hybrid.
Warm, cold it doesn't matter. BUT, it does not do this when the vehicle is in motion. It is either in full electric mode or the hybrid engine is on except at stoplights and stop signs it shuts off the ICE until you begin moving again. When the vehicle is in park is when it does this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, I managed to capture the "problem" on video:

It did it a couple times before I managed to whip out my phone, but in the video you can clearly see it revving up & down a few times until it decides to "stick" at high RPM. Then I accelerate (to match the new speed limit) and it starts behaving normally.

EDIT: For more context, the car had been sitting unplugged for ~2 days at <1% battery (as indicated in the dash). I leave it unplugged because I'm waiting on a part for the charging system, see here: Charging issues - P0E5E "Battery Charger Control...

Apologies for the bad camera work; I was concentrating on the road ;)

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
247 Posts
I’ve had 7 HEV/PHEV models across 5 brands: NONE have done rhythmic up/down ICE cycles including our 2020 pachy.

I agree semantics come into play. For example, some Honda Clarity owners said their ICE sounded like “killer bees” and once I owned one I experienced this high rpm generator behavior when the battery was very depleted and wasn’t necessarily tied to the accelerator pedal. This sounded loud but “normal” to my experienced ears (gen 1 volt did the same). First time hybrid owners thought it was “wrong or bad”. It wasn’t rhythmic either.

·
Registered
153 Posts
In the video, I don't see anything wrong. When the engine power increases, the vehicle speed also increases. It's also charging the battery and then the engine power drops and there is more electric traction provided. At the end, you have your foot down as the speed increases and it needs the engine power.

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the video, I don't see anything wrong. When the engine power increases, the vehicle speed also increases. It's also charging the battery and then the engine power drops and there is more electric traction provided. At the end, you have your foot down as the speed increases and it needs the engine power.

John
In the first half, I apply a constant pressure on the accelerator; I'm trying to maintain a constant speed. It does seem to go away when I accelerate, though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, the video reflects a power increase from the combustion engine and an increase in speed. Try a flat road with cruise control engaged.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the video reflects a power increase from the combustion engine and an increase in speed. Try a flat road with cruise control engaged.
It's pretty hard to capture such an intermittent problem ;) I've had it happen for longer before (like 8-10 cycles), but I didn't think to film it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it's like the video, it isn't a problem. When you've depleted the battery, the engine will sometimes provide more power and charge the battery a little at the same time. The car will then use that power and reduce the ICE output. The engine isn't revving excessively or cycling that quickly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts