2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contacted K&N. directly and sadly they discontinued the 33-5078 air filter. waiting on reply on why?? Does anyone know who may have stock. I am in Ontario Canada. Checked most canadian distributors. and all can’t get it. For the good neighbours in USA. any one. have suggestions of American retailers. that have stock? thanks

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Fathom Blue ordered 10/29/21
89 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why do you want a K&N filter? The benefit for non-performance engines is virtually non-existant and does not warrant their higher price or cleaning and oiling requirements.

The only true benefit I ever saw for them was on old-school, bigger pushrod V8s like small block Chevys since those were the ones that have gobs of low-end torque which is sacrificed for better top-end breathing. That doesn't work with today's higher-revving, less low-end torque OHC engines (or something like a PHEV where the engine might not used all that much).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just searched those sites, nothing, ARRRRRR. I will keep hunting, there's got to be another manufacture like K&N that you can wash and re-apply oil. I like the fact that I don't have to spend 40-60 (cad dollar) on a air filter when I can buy K&N once for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Fathom Blue ordered 10/29/21
89 Posts
Just searched those sites, nothing, ARRRRRR. I will keep hunting, there's got to be another manufacture like K&N that you can wash and re-apply oil. I like the fact that I don't have to spend 40-60 (cad dollar) on a air filter when I can buy K&N once for the life of the vehicle.
Maybe you're geo blocked because you're in Canada? I accessed all of the from the US... be interesting to use a program that changes your IP to get access - I use a Canadian IP to watch Olympic coverage since we get hosed on coverage in the states.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Contacted K&N. directly and sadly they discontinued the 33-5078 air filter. waiting on reply on why?? Does anyone know who may have stock. I am in Ontario Canada. Checked most canadian distributors. and all can’t get it. For the good neighbours in USA. any one. have suggestions of American retailers. that have stock? thanks
In stock

33-5078 K&N Replacement Air Filter

Better get it before it is gone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now that somebody has found you one, please don't do it. It will do nothing but hurt your engine. I don't of course know what dirt factory you might live in, but most of us should replace our filter 3-4 times in a engines entire life. Lets say once every 50K miles, and that's probably too often.

I mean no disrespect to rudiger, but ignore that post. It's perhaps spelled correctly, but that's the end of anything correct there. Said another way, there is zero relationship to engine type, size, or RPM range that correlates with filtration quality or efficacy. All of that is a simple sizing exercise.

The science and fact behind all this is extensive, and I'm going to skip war and peace. However, feel free to look this link over, it a solid primer on air filtration, re-usable filters, and etc. If you get to post #60 things are pretty well done bumping into information that will help you understand filtration issues, contaminants, and etc.. Mind you the guy that wrote it's an idiot, so there's that problem, but you should find three things:

• All the science, including reference links, are there.
  • The K&N is dismissed quickly, for it's horrible.
  • There is a Duramax test linked there that pretty well finished any conversation of using a K&N.

Finally, lest you think I just hate on K&N, I've used K&N for many years in select times and places. Things like boats, racing applications where I was doing annual engine rebuilds anyway, and a custom application that has no other filter available for it (on a street bike). The latter of which blows because I really really want to protect a very expensive engine, but I'm trapped.

Best of luck to you.

-d

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
There’s nothing wrong with the k&n filter , I picked up one in states for my 18 ehybrid and in 3 years I never had to purchase a engine filter and now it’s in my 21 pinnacle ehybrid . Intervals for engine air filters are around 12-15 thousand miles , depending on area you live in . If your changing yours at 50 thousand miles I’d wanna know how often. You change your furnace filters . I don’t think poster is looking for gains as much as he’s just maybe looking to not have to buy a 30 dollar filter time after time , and it’s a great way to save the environment from excess packaging time after time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't stop you from posting before doing any research, but you certainly are. I can guarantee you know nothing about particulate size, testing methodology, filtration efficacy, or K&N testing methodology, for nobody that did would be spouting such nonsense. Since I do, you'll forgive me if I just shake my head and move on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why do you want a K&N filter? The benefit for non-performance engines is virtually non-existant and does not warrant their higher price or cleaning and oiling requirements.

The only true benefit I ever saw for them was on old-school, bigger pushrod V8s like small block Chevys since those were the ones that have gobs of low-end torque which is sacrificed for better top-end breathing. That doesn't work with today's higher-revving, less low-end torque OHC engines (or something like a PHEV where the engine might not used all that much).
I agree: while my 2002 PT benefitted from one, I suspect it was due to the added weight of that body making the same-as-a-Neon 4 cyl work too hard until I "let it breathe" better with one. I replaced that ride with a 2013 Journey - no measurable improvement (in MPG, which was my goal - not performance).

Since my gas 2020 T-Plus has the same Pentastar 6, I'm sticking with the standard one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have myself, seen tests on easy breathing K&N filters. The conclusion was that they don't filter much. And when it's coming to a washable filter... how is washing going to remove microscopic particles? It won't.... most likely because the filter isn't trapping them, anyway. I would stick to manufacturer's spec.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited (Build 05/2016)
42 Posts
I can only advise against a permanent filter. I inserted a link from the ADAC. (German)
The savings from using the filter are minimal and the engine is not doing anything good with it.

Reactions: VelvetRedAWD

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red "S"
187 Posts
Years ago, I personally asked the Chief Engineer of the 3.6L engine about using a K & N.
He said they were good for keeping out rocks and small birds!!
The OEM filters are good for at least 30k miles. They can still flow enough at 40-50k, if you don’t live in an overly dusty area.
I have seen a BLACK grimy filter STILL flow air on a test bench. It had over 100k miles on an engine that had a bad PCV on it!!

Your van, do whatever you want. 😮

1 - 18 of 18 Posts