2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: 2017 PacHy with 31k miles, owner since May 2017. Up to date on all recalls.

I was driving my PacHy from Illinois to Pennsylvania for turkey week. Anyway, about 4 hours into the drive. The ACC (adaptive cruise control) fails and gives the error, "FCW unavailable, service required" So, I was like great. Now I have to drive the car on the interstate without any cruise control. Oh well, I can live with that. The next thing was unexpected...

So driving without cruise control and the forward collision warning (FCW) system. More errors pop up, pretty much anything electrical that can give a warning, gives me a warning. A few second later, the power steering fails, and I lose motive force. Was successfully able to turn on hazard lights and pull over to the side of the highway without crashing, (despite the car behind not getting the hint and tried to slow down with me).

Well, that sucked. I turn off the vehicle and open the door to turn off the electronics. I let it sit for a minute, then turned it on and no error messages. Thinking it was a fluke, I planned to drive it until the next rest stop. Quickly the cruise control and the forward collision warning (FCW) system error popped up, but we made it to the rest stop. Looked at the fuses, nothing associated with the forward collision warning (FCW) system. Googled the PacHy Forums, found some mention of failed modules, but no clear cause.

Decided to drive again, without cruise control and the forward collision warning (FCW) system. I drove like this for awhile then it failed again, loss of power steering and motive force, pull over, restart.

After discussing with family, we decided we were close enough to our hotel for the night, so make it there and take it to the nearest dealer in the morning. I think we had another failure at low speed in the rest stop, and then a 4th failure at high speed. To say driving the vehicle at this point was intense was an understatement. Checked into hotel, and slept.

In the morning, I drove to the dealership service shop. It was a small shop, but very friendly. They looked at it, pulled 179 errors codes. Too many to locate an error. After double checking the recalls, they found one system that was not flashed, so they did that. They cleared the codes, and could not get it to fail on a 30 min drive. So, I took it back hoping to get it to fail again, so I could justify that it was unsafe to drive and get a loaner. If not we decided to get a rental.

Drove it for 30 min around town, no problem. Picked up the family to drive to the grocery store. PacHy failed just before leaving the hotel parking lot. Changed plan to drive to dealer. Drove about 2 miles down the road, and failed again while slowing down to make a right turn. Got it to the dealer, and dropped it off and got a loaner gas Pacifica.

Drove the loaner for the rest of the trip and have the loaner back home in Illinois while my PacHy is still in Ohio.

The dealer cannot seem to figure out any specific problems with the vehicle and don't want to invest the man hours on such a hard problem. So, they plan to escalate it to Chrysler star program or something. Because the PacHy is not safe to drive.

@ChryslerCares anything I can do to get the ball moving.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be interesting to drive it around a bit while monitoring the voltage of the 12v battery. Having that many errors almost has to be a low voltage problem or something related to that.
I was doing that a little. I was mostly focused on if the car dies, where do I pull over to. But while watching the voltage nothing changed. I think it was 14.4v the whole time. Like I said the battery passed the test and it was not really all that cold during the drive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like I am the only one whose PacHy completely fails and loses the ability to drive it. It sounded like a grounding problem, but the technician checked all the grounds. I hope that if one of the modules is failing that it is causing the grounding problem and making the entire bus reset.

Summary of Similar Problems and Result from the Forum.
Replaced two modules:
(1) Bad camera module, the one behind the rearview mirror.
(2) lower radar system, "the cyclops"
Dirty lens issues

Sources:

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Background: 2017 PacHy with 31k miles, owner since May 2017. Up to date on all recalls.

I was driving my PacHy from Illinois to Pennsylvania for turkey week. Anyway, about 4 hours into the drive. The ACC (adaptive cruise control) fails and gives the error, "FCW unavailable, service required" So, I was like great. Now I have to drive the car on the interstate without any cruise control. Oh well, I can live with that. The next thing was unexpected...

So driving without cruise control and the forward collision warning (FCW) system. More errors pop up, pretty much anything electrical that can give a warning, gives me a warning. A few second later, the power steering fails, and I lose motive force. Was successfully able to turn on hazard lights and pull over to the side of the highway without crashing, (despite the car behind not getting the hint and tried to slow down with me).

Well, that sucked. I turn off the vehicle and open the door to turn off the electronics. I let it sit for a minute, then turned it on and no error messages. Thinking it was a fluke, I planned to drive it until the next rest stop. Quickly the cruise control and the forward collision warning (FCW) system error popped up, but we made it to the rest stop. Looked at the fuses, nothing associated with the forward collision warning (FCW) system. Googled the PacHy Forums, found some mention of failed modules, but no clear cause.

Decided to drive again, without cruise control and the forward collision warning (FCW) system. I drove like this for awhile then it failed again, loss of power steering and motive force, pull over, restart.

After discussing with family, we decided we were close enough to our hotel for the night, so make it there and take it to the nearest dealer in the morning. I think we had another failure at low speed in the rest stop, and then a 4th failure at high speed. To say driving the vehicle at this point was intense was an understatement. Checked into hotel, and slept.

In the morning, I drove to the dealership service shop. It was a small shop, but very friendly. They looked at it, pulled 179 errors codes. Too many to locate an error. After double checking the recalls, they found one system that was not flashed, so they did that. They cleared the codes, and could not get it to fail on a 30 min drive. So, I took it back hoping to get it to fail again, so I could justify that it was unsafe to drive and get a loaner. If not we decided to get a rental.

Drove it for 30 min around town, no problem. Picked up the family to drive to the grocery store. PacHy failed just before leaving the hotel parking lot. Changed plan to drive to dealer. Drove about 2 miles down the road, and failed again while slowing down to make a right turn. Got it to the dealer, and dropped it off and got a loaner gas Pacifica.

Drove the loaner for the rest of the trip and have the loaner back home in Illinois while my PacHy is still in Ohio.

The dealer cannot seem to figure out any specific problems with the vehicle and don't want to invest the man hours on such a hard problem. So, they plan to escalate it to Chrysler star program or something. Because the PacHy is not safe to drive.

@ChryslerCares anything I can do to get the ball moving.
Hi vossman77, so sorry to read about your concerns! Feel free to send us your VIN in a private message so we can get a case started.

Kaitlin
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
629 Posts
When was it manufactured and how many miles were on it when you got it? Could be almost 3 years old so I'm guessing 12v battery is flaking out, even though (they say) it tests fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When was it manufactured and how many miles were on it when you got it? Could be almost 3 years old so I'm guessing 12v battery is flaking out, even though (they say) it tests fine.
I am original owner since 2017, it had 53 miles when I got it. Already had the battery replaced in 2018 since it was failing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12v battery failed and was replaced on Mar 19, 2018 when the odometer was 9,300 miles. It is currently at 31k miles.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am original owner since 2017, it had ~700 miles. Already had the battery replaced in 2018 since it was failing.
What was the symptoms when the battery was failing in 2018?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
285 Posts
You should have that dealer check this as it sounds like the same issues this owner had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Vossman

Was the van running on gas/hybrid mode with the high voltage battery "discharged/empty" when all these seemingly unrelated problems came up?

Loose ground, or loose connection, is very difficult to trace and locate, and it sounds maybe that is the case.

My Volvo used to have this problem that it would be intermittently hard to start and engine would cut out at unrelated driving conditions, and dashboard would give all kinds of weird errors. I finally traced problem to a loose pin connector to the engine control computer from engine RPM sensor. Turns out ECU would cut out engine, ie turn off fuel pump, when no (or erratic) RPM signal is detected. Securing the pin solved the problem. But that took a long time, as the problem was never there when I took the car to the dealer.

Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Was the van running on gas/hybrid mode with the high voltage battery "discharged/empty" when all these seemingly unrelated problems came up.
YES, I did not have a charger with me, and had used the battery up before the problems occurred.

Loose ground, or loose connection, is very difficult to trace and locate, and it sounds maybe that is the case.
Totally agree. This was my first thought, but what can I do. it "is very difficult to trace".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts