2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a month long search I have finally decided to go against PacHy. But I would still say PacHy is better vehicle overall.

1) Not including Sienna in this thread as Sienna, was last remodeled in 2010 which causes some issues. Its definitely better for reliability vs not only PacHy but also Ody as over time it's all cleared out all those issues. But because of 2010, it looks old, stuffs in it are old, doesn't really stand up to todays crash testings and also no apple auto/android car play.

So between PacHy and Ody

Comparing PacHy Ltd w Advanced Safety Tec + Tri-pane Sunroof + 18inch wheels and Ody EX-L.
Comparing these two because I could get them at around same price.
Best price with such PacHy, I could get was around Portland metro 45k, after tax rebates, it would be 35k.
For Ody EX-L, best price I have is just under 34k. So overall closeby.

Advantages of PacHy over Ody
1) Hybrid, huge fuel savings. Specially my work place has chargers, and my round trip is less than 33 miles, so I can pretty much drive without any cost on most of the days
2) 360 degree camera and park assist. A very good features for specially a big car. I am used to sedan, these features would have been useful in minivan
3) Tri-pane sunroof. Live in Pacific Northwest, more light is always good, especially in winter
4) Ventilated seats, I often get very sweaty at my back during drives. And ventilated seats would have been a god-gift.
5) double entertainment screens
6) far modern looking interior

Advantages of Ody over PacHy
1) its Honda, so 'predicted' better reliability and resale value (though I am getting some data points that point to other direction)
2) Magic seating 2nd row and 8 seating capacity

Actually this 2nd point outweighed all benefits of PacHy in my case.
I have a 17 month old and we are expecting our second one in around month.

So our most common cofiguration would be two adults (me and my wife) and two (young babies). In Ody with 3 seats in second row, my wife or me can seat with two baby car seats either on one side, or may be even we seating in between. Can't do that in PacHy.

Other config is 6. My/my wives parents added. In both cases, we will have can two adults in front; one adult, one baby in second row; and one adult, one baby in third row. But here also Ody wins as I will move the second row sits closeby, thus making third row egress easy.

We would have 8 people a few times (this is very few I know, but still it will be there in next few months with my grand parents visiting us). So in this case, only possible option is Ody, PacHy doesn't have 8 seat capacity. We can have one baby in each row, or also both babies in third row.

But yeah, for this seating issues, with heavy heart I decided to buy Ody. But overall PacHy is better car.

Thanks for folks helping me out in the forum.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
You could do all that with the Pacifica gas 8 seater too. :D. It’s still better than Odyssey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think your 2 points about Honda better than Pacifica is quite amusing, I looked at all 3 vehicles and Pacifica wins hands down . The design of the Pacifica is so fluid compared to both and the hybrid only elevated it to another level . And if you think Honda reliability supersedes the Pacifica ain’t think you might want brush up on your research skills. Funny how I’ve had more than a few Honda owners in the neighbourhood say “ I wish Pacifica was out when I bought my Honda “...

·
Registered
504 Posts
You could do all that with the Pacifica gas 8 seater too. :D. It’s still better than Odyssey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YES YES YES! Get the 8 passenger Pacifica Limited. It is the BEST choice!
John

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea it looks like you had 6 advantages for Pachy over 2 for Odyssey, and the trump card for the Odyssey was 8-seat config which is available on the gas Pacifica (as well as Stow N Go seats.) I have two little ones as well, their car seats stay fixed in the second row and with an 8th middle seat there, it'd be difficult to get anyone into the third row. This also means I have no use for Stow N Go, so the Pachy is perfect for me. Also, end of the day, it's a hybrid - that was my trup card feature, so it was an easy decision for me. But, no judgment, hope the Odyssey works out for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good luck. My neighbor just out transmission#2 in his "reliable" Odyssey. They are good for a out 60k miles. Sienna is a good 5 years past it's prime.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2019 Honda Odyssey Recalls. There have been 3 safety recalls issued from NHTSA. Summary: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain model year 2018 and 2019 Honda Odyssey vehicles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since 8 seating capacity was the deal-maker for you, you really should have compared the Odyssey to the gas Pacific. Personally, I found those two so comparable that I would go with whichever I can get for a better price. However, reading your post, I think you might be overlooking something. Specifically, the Pacifica gas 8-seat configuration provides much easier access to the 3rd row than the Odyssey.

Your most common configuration: 2 car seats + 1 adult in 2nd row; This is a wash. The Odyssey has slightly more comfortable second row captain's chairs, but that is irrelevant with a car seat in them.

Configuration #2 (6 people): Here, the Pacifica offers greater access to the third row. You are planning on removing the middle seat in the Odyssey to take advantage of the magic slide, but in the Pacifica, you can leave the middle seat in and use the stow n' go feature to gain rear-seat access. Also, on the passenger side of the van, the Pacifica is the only van that allows 3rd-row access while a car seat is installed. Thus, in the Odyssey, if you have 6 or 7 people, you must either move a car seat to the rear or remove the 2nd row center seat. In the Pacifica, if you choose, you can keep both car seats in the second row and still access the 3rd row from the passenger side.

Configuration #3 (8 people): The Pacifica gas again beats the Odyssey, because it provides substantially easier 3rd row access from the passenger side than the Odyssey. (And again, in the Pacifica you can have 2 car seats in the 2nd row and still access the 3rd row).

If your most common configuration was going to be 2 adults in the front, 2 car seats in the middle with center seat removed, and up to 3 more in the back, then you might consider the Odyssey. In this configuration, you can push the two center seats together in "Buddy mode" so your kids can entertain each other. Also, the sunglass holder on the Odyssey has a really nifty mirror if you open it half-way so you can see into the back of the vehicle.

Other advantages to the Pacifica gas (Touring L compared to Odyssey EX-L):

1. Removing the 2nd row center seat is easier because you can stow the outside 2nd row seat instead of trying to lift the center seat over the outside.
2. The Advanced Safety Tech (optional) has a 360 degree camera
3. The 3rd row has built-in sunshades

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You for your comments guys.
Honestly until this, I never considered Pacifica gas as an alternative. But I guess, I will take a look at that also, specially as Chrysler is offering 0% on both pacificas.
But I am afraid, that gas would be much more expensive, Hybrid was coming out to 35k, because of the 10k tax credit+state rebate, without that, I am afraid that Pacifica Gas might be expensive than PacHy or Ody.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YES YES YES! Get the 8 passenger Pacifica Limited. It is the BEST choice!
John
Pac Gas Limited is quite expensive for me. My budget is 35k.
I guess, the best I can get would be Pac Touring L + Advanced Safety Tec + 8 Seating config + 18 inch wheels (don't know if they are really useful). I am assuming I can negotiate 5k down.

No Sunroof
No ventilated seats.
No entertainment screens.
And most importantly no Hybrid.

So out of my 6 benefits, I loose 4.
Only benefit of PacGas over Ody is 360 degree camera and park assist.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you really NEED the 8th seat, I don't see why would anyone buy PacGas Limited, when PacHy Limited is almost 10k cheaper (considering tax credits and rebates) with same features+fuel savings.

I don't know why Chrysler didn't give the option of 8th seat in PacHy :( :( :(
that would have been PERFECT for me

·
Registered
332 Posts
Unless you really NEED the 8th seat, I don't see why would anyone buy PacGas Limited, when PacHy Limited is almost 10k cheaper (considering tax credits and rebates) with same features+fuel savings.

I don't know why Chrysler didn't give the option of 8th seat in PacHy :( :( :(
that would have been PERFECT for me
The features are not the same between the PacGas and PacHy. Can't argue the advantage of the credits, rebates and fuel savings but the PacGas has more features which some owners find desirable.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thank You for your comments guys.
Honestly until this, I never considered Pacifica gas as an alternative. But I guess, I will take a look at that also, specially as Chrysler is offering 0% on both pacificas.
But I am afraid, that gas would be much more expensive, Hybrid was coming out to 35k, because of the 10k tax credit+state rebate, without that, I am afraid that Pacifica Gas might be expensive than PacHy or Ody.
You can usually get better discounts on the Pacifica (gas) than the Ody.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, that's cool - 0% on Pachy is being offered now. When we bought ours two months ago, Chrysler did not offer this. Still has the $1000 incentive too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The features are not the same between the PacGas and PacHy. Can't argue the advantage of the credits, rebates and fuel savings but the PacGas has more features which some owners find desirable.
what are differences? Sorry I haven't looked in PacGas that much?
of course it has Stow n Go, but i hear that leads to poor quality of seats
there is also stow n vac, but it gets expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
btw, does anyone know if its possible to have 8th seat bench in PacHy?

it might not be legal, but can that be done?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Test drive the Pacifica to see how the middle seats compare in comfort. I found it to be noticeable, my wife thought they were fine. Also, search YouTube for My Favorite Doll Pacifica. There is a very short, hilarious, and accurate video comparing the Pacifica stow n go to the Odyssey magic slide when there is a car seat in the second row.

As to cost, in my area, the Pacifica gas Touring L with Advanced Safety Tech is price comparable to the Odyssey EX-L. You should be able to get either between $30 - $35K. However, an 8-seat Pacifica gas is hard to find (at least with non-black seats).

As to the 18" wheels, I'm not a car expert, but my understanding is the large wheel will have better handling and the smaller wheel has a smoother ride and last longer before replacement.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't recall all the differences for the current model year. Generally it seems the top of the line hybrid model is compared to the top of the line gas model as being comparable in price after the federal tax credit. There are several prior threads that discuss the differences. Some things just aren't available on the hybrid others are available at extra cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Removing a middle seat has been mentioned already. This “six seat” option has worked well for our twins, my wife and I, and one additional guest. For trips we place a cooler in the middle and use it as a table for a picnic in the van. It also serves as my wife’s leg rest. I didn’t like the 2nd row hump in the Odyssey

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
24 Participants
Waldo
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing