2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Interesting. I have an 8 passenger 2018 - haven't heard anything yet.
This seatbelt recall just came out today. I received a recall notice email this morning from NHTSA since I entered something on their website asking to be notified of recalls that MAY affect my vehicle. (I have a 7 passenger van, but I found out it is not affected after entering my VIN in the NHTSA website. I checked before seeing this thread.) You can go to the NHTSA website and see if your 8 passenger van is affected by putting in the VIN.

Only 8 passenger vans are affected. Somewhere I read that it is because somehow the second row center seat seatbelt part may unlatch an outboard seatbelt next to it.

Customers with questions or concerns may call the FCA US Recall Information Center at (800)-853-1403. (Automotive World article from FCA)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks from the documentation I read. Here are the details:

All 2017-2018 MY Chrysler Pacifica (“RU”) vehicles with the 8-passenger seating
option (Sales Codes CYF) have a second-row, center seating position seat belt buckle
that could cause the left outboard seat belt to become unlatched under certain
conditions. The recall scope was determined to be RU Vehicles built between
November 1, 2015, when production of the 2017 MY RU began at Windsor Assembly
Plant (“WAP”) to August 24, 2017, when WAP began production of the 8-passenger
option RU with a shorter second-row, center seating position seat belt buckle
webbing. Similar vehicles with the 7-passenger seating option are not affected,
because these vehicles do not have a second-row center seating position.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Wow, they are claiming almost 48,000 Pacs are involved. I would have never guessed that many were made with the extra seat. Our local dealers seldom stocked them. Are they standard in the rental fleet versions?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It seems the opposite from what I've noticed. Seems like almost every Pacifica I've seen is an 8 seater no matter what trim. I've seen very few 7 seaters

·
Registered
459 Posts
This seatbelt recall just came out today. I received a recall notice email this morning from NHTSA since I entered something on their website asking to be notified of recalls that MAY affect my vehicle. (I have a 7 passenger van, but I found out it is not affected after entering my VIN in the NHTSA website. I checked before seeing this thread.) You can go to the NHTSA website and see if your 8 passenger van is affected by putting in the VIN.

Only 8 passenger vans are affected. Somewhere I read that it is because somehow the second row center seat seatbelt part may unlatch an outboard seatbelt next to it.

Customers with questions or concerns may call the FCA US Recall Information Center at (800)-853-1403. (Automotive World article from FCA)
I looked up my VIN on the NHTSA website and it said "0" Recalls for this vehicle. It also said their data had been refreshed as of today's date. I do have a 2017 Pacifica, 8 Passenger Limited. My MFG Date was 6.17/2017 so they either had a new design by that date or the NHTSA may actually not be as up to date as stated. I will check again later.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It seems the opposite from what I've noticed. Seems like almost every Pacifica I've seen is an 8 seater no matter what trim. I've seen very few 7 seaters
I guess it's a dealer or regional thing.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I looked up my VIN on the NHTSA website and it said "0" Recalls for this vehicle. It also said their data had been refreshed as of today's date. I do have a 2017 Pacifica, 8 Passenger Limited. My MFG Date was 6.17/2017 so they either had a new design by that date or the NHTSA may actually not be as up to date as stated. I will check again later.
Maybe they just eliminated the 7 passengers from the recall. It makes sense to check again and not use the left and center seats of the second row at the same time (if you don't have to) until the recall is figured out. It would be nice if some of the 8 passenger vans weren't affected.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Maybe they just eliminated the 7 passengers from the recall. It makes sense to check again and not use the left and center seats of the second row at the same time (if you don't have to) until the recall is figured out. It would be nice if some of the 8 passenger vans weren't affected.
I just looked at the female-end of the 8th seat seatbelt buckle receiver in my 8-Passenger 2017 Pacifica Limited and see that there is a heavy elastic band holding the seatbelt receiver buckle tightly against the 8th Seat. I can't help but wonder if All 8-Seat Pacifica vehicles have this Elastic Band. The reason for my curiosity is that I checked the NHTSA Recalls by VIN again this morning and my VIN is not shown as having any Recalls. The NHTSA Recall page says "Updated September 21, 2017".

It sure looks like the Elastic Band would keep this Buckle from allowing contact with the Left 2nd Row Seat Buckle. Don't know how it would look with two people sitting in the seats though. Just Curious!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chrysler recalls 50,000 Pacifica minivans for wonky seat belts

It looks like there is another recall on the Pacifica's.
The recall is limited to Pacifica's (2017 and 2018's) with the optional eight-passenger seating arrangement.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/chrysler-recalls-50000-pacifica-minivans-for-wonky-seat-belts/?ftag=CAD13782fc&bhid=
"Customers will be notified when a fix is made available.
For now, Chrysler suggests against "using the second-row center seat in conjunction with the other second-row positions."
If you regularly carry around fewer than five children, that shouldn't be a problem."

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for posting the info on the 8 passenger van. I just shipped/gave my 8 passenger to my granddaughter in Virginia.
Have forwarded all the info. I have 4 granddaughters in that area and among the granddaughters I have 9 great-grandchildren.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just looked at the female-end of the 8th seat seatbelt buckle receiver in my 8-Passenger 2017 Pacifica Limited and see that there is a heavy elastic band holding the seatbelt receiver buckle tightly against the 8th Seat. I can't help but wonder if All 8-Seat Pacifica vehicles have this Elastic Band. The reason for my curiosity is that I checked the NHTSA Recalls by VIN again this morning and my VIN is not shown as having any Recalls. The NHTSA Recall page says "Updated September 21, 2017".

It sure looks like the Elastic Band would keep this Buckle from allowing contact with the Left 2nd Row Seat Buckle. Don't know how it would look with two people sitting in the seats though. Just Curious!
What does "left outboard" 2nd row seat mean? As you can see in your picture, the center seat belt buckle is next the passenger side seat belt buckle. I would describe the passenger side as right and the driver side as left.

I have a 2017 8 passenger built within the dates describe but the Mopar recall checker for my VIN only shows the T23 EGR recall. It does not mention this one.
https://www.mopar.com/chrysler/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

·
Registered
459 Posts
What does "left outboard" 2nd row seat mean? As you can see in your picture, the center seat belt buckle is next the passenger side seat belt buckle. I would describe the passenger side as right and the driver side as left.

I have a 2017 8 passenger built within the dates describe but the Mopar recall checker for my VIN only shows the T23 EGR recall. It does not mention this one.
Not sure where you are reading "Left Outboard", but the photo is looking from the top view down onto the center (8th) seat in the 2nd Row as it sits next to the left 2nd Row Seat behind the Driver. The seat without air holes is the center seat and the seat with the air holes is the left most 2nd Row Seat.

On my Apple MacBook Air this Forum tends to turn the photos uploaded ...if you click on the photo it opens up with the photo turned clockwise a quarter turn. I've had some photos turned 180 degrees when uploaded but they show up with the proper orientation when you click on them and they also are then enlarged.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts

I agree that it's not very well described. Generally, the right and left of a vehicle is from the reference of the driver. But in this case, it certainly appears that they mean the passenger side when they say "left outboard". Regardless, I read somewhere that the recall isn't being officially released until October 20th, so we probably won't see it show up for our VINs until then.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree that it's not very well described. Generally, the right and left of a vehicle is from the reference of the driver. But in this case, it certainly appears that they mean the passenger side when they say "left outboard". Regardless, I read somewhere that the recall isn't being officially released until October 20th, so we probably won't see it show up for our VINs until then.
I took another look at the 8th Seat and the seatbelts and it is very likely that the Recall is regarding the 2nd Row Passenger side seatbelt being unlatched due to the large connector piece of the middle seat (8th seat) seatbelt pressing the Release Button such that the Passenger side seatbelt is in-fact released.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
If you want to check on the recall you might have to check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website: https://www.nhtsa.gov/

This is from the information that I received Sept. 20 from NHTSA (since I wanted to be notified if a recall might affect my vehicle). It turns out that it didn't affect my vehicle since mine is a seven passenger van, but for those who are wondering about it, here is more information. Evidently the center seat belt latch could somehow unlatch the left seat (behind the driver) seat belt. I understand that threads were merged and this information may also be earlier in the thread.

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 17V542
Manufacturer : Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Subject : Second Row Left Seat Belt may be Unlatched
Make Model Model Years
CHRYSLER PACIFICA 2017-2018

The NHTSA website has a VIN checker for this recall.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
17 Participants
SciTchr
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing