2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a fiasco. We drop off our van to Merrick dodge in ny. Few hours later we get a call saying they are keeping the van, failed inspection. While bothered I was mentally prepared for that outcome. Could be worse we are all breathing. Dealers says you’ll get a loaner, ok great, they just waiting for a grand Cherokee to come back. Dealer says tomorrow at 11. I call at 1130 it’s not here. They tell me to call back later. I call at 130 lady says it’s in. Pack the kids in the pickup and head down. 2 minutes into the ride I get a call it was a mistake. The grand Cherokee is not available. Ok, it was annoying but fine. In the mean time I ask the dealer if we can trade it in or get a check. On Wednesday we are told yes, your appraisal is 22k we will cut a check or you can trade it in. In the mean time I open a case with Chrysler. I get a call today saying we are working on a rental. According to Chrysler we can have $60 per day for a rental until the recall is complete and repaired. Issue here is my dealer does not have an account with hertz and wants me to foot the bill and deal with Chrysler. Chrysler says the dealer needs to do it. What a **** show. Another few hours on the phone wasted. Not to mention hertz has no cars till the 1st. My wife and I today decide to cut out loses and just get rid of the van that we both love and adore. I call the dealer to confirm a 22k is the check amount. Dealer says yes. Come down with the title we’ll start the paper work and call it a day. I get to the dealer ship. Used car appraiser is there told me he was not told about the recall they can not take the car till the recall is complete. What a disappointment and a waste of time. We now have the grand Cherokee and a van at a dealer for an undertemined amount of time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even if they don't take the vehicle indefinitely this recall is crap. The recommendation is to park the car outside away from other vehicles. If I park the car outside I can't charge it, which means the plug-in hybrid aspect of the vehicle is now useless. Chrysler should be providing compensation for all the time we'll spend at gas stations because we can't charge our vehicles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s all crap. I have a car that can’t be driven. Can’t be sold and needs to sit on a lot because of poor design. Just crap.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
71 Posts
Heck, I traded in my 2017 gas pacifica with 40,000 miles, and got $24K trade in. I would think yours would be worth a good bit more.

Who covers the insurance on the loanar? Maybe you could save a bit on insurance while your Pac is not being driven.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hybrids loose value very quickly. Plus with Covid the used car market is oversarurated because of rental fleets being unloaded. I guess the question is is a chance of a fire worth the money or your family’s life. If the van was safe you could park it near your house or near other vehicles. I guess the question is is a chance of a fire worth the money or your family’s life. If the van was safe you could park it near your house or near other vehicles

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not to mention hertz has no cars till the 1st.
Hertz has mountains of cars: an enormous, huge fleet of idle vehicles due to the COVID-19 travel shutdown. $60/day ($1800/month) should be far more than enough to get a minivan on a monthly rate, although you should brace yourself for a Grand Caravan.

The trade-in number you got was a joke. The used car guy bailed you out. Send him a bottle of wine.

honestly I think your outcome isn’t that bad, you got the car out of your home until it’s fixed and FCA is covering the entire tab.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes not bad, except I do not have the car I paid for because of a design flaw. Also Hertz filed for bankruptcy amid the coronavirus pandemic in May and is now selling its inventory of used carsonline. The cars on Hertz Car Sales are being sold at an average of 8% below the vehicle's average market value. So yes the used car market is over saturated. As far as the trade in it sits at the lot unused, with a clear title. Can’t be driven, sold or moved. How valuable is that? I would rather drink the wine my self sell the it then deal with this. Aside from kbb have you looked to see what they are worth ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I suppose one way to think about it is that you’re putting miles and wear on someone else’s car while this gets sorted out.

I’m with you on being mad; this fulfills every stereotype of Chrysler I can think of.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I mean, you've driven the car for years with this defect, you just didn't know about it. Is not like they spontaneously burst into flames left and right since it took them 3 years to realize there was an issue. At least now they're fixing it. It sucks but would you prefer they tried to sweep it under the carpet and pretend it wasn't a thing? All manufacturers screw things up. (The Ford explorer Firestone rollovers and Toyota's Takata air bags come to mind. Compared to those this seems pretty mild.)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don’t know about you but what size cord and charger did you buy that you can’t charge it outside ? Did you not think that down road if something was occupying the space that you’d have to charge it elsewhere ? A lol but of though how’s a long way . Besides , they are giving you a vehicle to put miles on and gas is cheap who cares . And I don’t know about you but prices for these things in Canada new or resale are ridiculously high .

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don’t know about you but what size cord and charger did you buy that you can’t charge it outside ?
The original manufacturer's charger that comes with vehicle. Even assuming I could get it to safely reach an exterior outlet without creating a tripping hazard or using an extension cord, anybody can walk up and steal it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The original manufacturer's charger that comes with vehicle. Even assuming I could get it to safely reach an exterior outlet without creating a tripping hazard or using an extension cord, anybody can walk up and steal it.
Just park the front wheel on the cable and double loop it around the wheel spoke and through the loop as you plug it in, that way they have to cut it to steal it, which if one is not trained on handling hot power cuts, is a very bad choice.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Level 1 charger is still sitting in my garage cabinet as it’s really a waste of time and monies , loss of energy with length of time to fully charge the van .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts