2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pacifica minivan will be getting awd soon as per post in automotive news . Let’s see if they give us a hybrid awd or just a ice option . I always say “ the more options the better it is “.

·
Registered
75 Posts
it would be easier to add AWD to hybrid just like the Prius got AWD this year ( had it in Japan for a long time ).

·
Registered
492 Posts
This would probably not get me to upgrade alone from my '17. But this plus all the other upgrades from a '17 just may do it.

If they could double that range, I'd be all over upgrading.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Considering that the 2020 Jeep Renegade and Cherokee is going to borrow heavily from the PacHy for hybrid/AWD versions, it would only seem logical that FCA would use the same engineering for an AWD Pacifica.

Of course, if it's going to be limited to the PacHy, that's going to be one expensive Pacifica. But, as previously mentioned, if they also double the EV range...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If its anything like the Volvo XC90 AWD system, there are complaints that it handles like a FWD car, which it basically is, with its shortcomings compared to a true AWD system.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It’d be tough to fit in a larger battery or AWD. These vans are already too heavy—it’s not just about the physical space, but also about leaving a useful (and safe) cargo capacity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When the Pacifica was in development FCA already planned the e-rear drive for awd so it is being tested and packaged to fit the platform. Unfortunately there isn't much room for more batteries so energy density will need to improve for range gains - or you could go the earlier Prius route and reduce performance to increase efficiency. I vote for improved battery tech.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When the Pacifica was in development FCA already planned the e-rear drive for awd so it is being tested and packaged to fit the platform. Unfortunately there isn't much room for more batteries so energy density will need to improve for range gains - or you could go the earlier Prius route and reduce performance to increase efficiency. I vote for improved battery tech.
At allpar.com, there was an examination of the Pacifica's PHEV system. The final passage discussed how they might incorporate AWD:

"Our sources claim that the AWD system will be set up by tapping the same basic system, but with a single additional motor for the rear wheels, allowing AWD vans to have Stow ’n’ Go."

(The normal PacHy uses dual electric motors driving the front wheels).

I have no idea how a single motor powering the rear wheels would be powered, but I'm going to guess by the same general principle as Toyota's Synergy system, which is via a much smaller 'helper' battery mounted somewhere other than the Stow n'Go bays.

It would also seem that such an AWD system could theoretically operate as a typical hybrid where the rear wheels would engage/disengage to lighten the burden of the front, ICE-powered wheels.

In effect, you'd get a hybrid where, instead of an electric motor occasionally helping drive the front wheels of the ICE, it would be out back, driving the rear wheels. Then, when the system sensed the front wheels losing traction, they'd automatically engage at that time, too.

You wouldn't be able to plug-in and operate as an EV. But you would get the increased fuel mileage of a hybrid, with the added bonus of AWD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts