2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, please don't spread mis-information. Its fine to be an internet sleuth but in the end we don't know what the actual cause of the fires were.
I understand, I am not trying to 'spread' misinformation. All I am saying is, if it's car issue, (and not a rodent issue), then it 'seems' battery is where fire originated and likely it has something to do with battery. Batch information might be able help us in narrowing down on the root cause.

How do you think they could get this information? Even if they were still in possession of their vans.
I don't know. I assume they can get that information from their dealer/ @chryslercare / Chrysler rep

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Back then Chryslers wiTech 2.0 scan tool didn't perform the service function correctly. I had some AC work done and the tech broke the HV coolant pipe and got it back with air in it.

So I bought the tools to use OEM software to do it myself and found when the pump was “active” it actually wasn't.

Plan B, used a vacuum bleeder.. and found tons of air.

I reported it with the feedback function but haven't tried it since. They said it was fixed but thats what they always say haha.
I retested these service functions just now and they are confirmed functional.

wiTech 2 has been updated and clearly indicates the pump status, not to mention I’m able to hear them spinning up.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any update???

I’ve been lurking around this forum for a year now, and until the fire issue came up I was certain I was going to buy one by the end of the year. I’ve had 4 Volts and still can’t believe the government gave me $30,000 in credits. I’d bet that 40 to 60% of the people that bought Pacifica hybrid’s we’re previous volt owners??? I retired in June and have until December 31 to purchase one and get the $7500 credit. I am single and will have a volt and a Pacifica hybrid in my garage and the Pacifica might be plugged in for long periods of time and not driven that often. If these two incidents were two mice in 2 countries I’m OK with that as I have not seen too many mice in my garage. If this is a systemic problem I’d like to know about it. Are we ever going to hear a resolution to this problem? I tried to go on NTSB but really couldn’t find anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, does your pacificas 'hum' when you have it plugged into a level 2, 2 hour charger? I keep on getting even check engine lights that have come and gone twice now and I suspect it is battery related because I will go to plug it in and it will instantly hum. At first, I thought the **** thing was going to explode, but then realized it is cooling. I have included a pic of an extension cord I had plugged at home with the OEM level 1 charger... Safe to say since then I have plugged it in directly. I want to get the check engine light checked out, but it disappears and dealers take 5 days to see you. Anyone in the Ottawa area want to help me solve this? I don't have the computer, but could come when the check engine comes on. I do not want to die in a fiery flame and I am an Uber/Lyft driver, so I don't think that will help with maintaining my 5 stars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have included a pic of an extension cord I had plugged at home with the OEM level 1 charger...
This is the reason why Chrysler prohibits the extension cords. You can get away with using an extension, but only if you know what you are doing. The cord must be 12 or 10GA, as short as possible, and be in excellent condition. No daisy chaining multiple cords. The wall receptacle has to be new and high quality. When charging you need to watch the temperature of the plug. It can be warm to touch, but not hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I think

I think there should be two Pacifica hybrid’s in a test chamber in Canada that are continually charged and de- charged with 20 healthy mice and a lot food, cotton balls, straw, and 20 cameras set at 22 degrees Fahrenheit. I think after they’ve made their nest they should raise the temperature to 64° and try to simulate the conditions in the driveways of the two cars that burnt. I think they should tell us that they have a 6” x 4” metal shroud that is a recall to prevent the mice from getting in to the battery area , or there was run of batteries that are suspect, or there is the software fix that prevents the battery from overheating after fully charged, or I don’t need one these cars.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think there should be two Pacifica hybrid’s in a test chamber in Canada that are continually charged and de- charged with 20 healthy mice and a lot food, cotton balls, straw, and 20 cameras set at 22 degrees Fahrenheit. I think after they’ve made their nest they should raise the temperature to 64° and try to simulate the conditions in the driveways of the two cars that burnt. I think they should tell us that they have a 6” x 4” metal shroud that is a recall to prevent the mice from getting in to the battery area , or there was run of batteries that are suspect, or there is the software fix that prevents the battery from overheating after fully charged, or I don’t need one these cars.
This is what happens when you drink and browse the forums :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a check engine light come up quite frequently and been in the shop quite a bit lately. So, they are adding a 'new'? heater to my van to help regulate the temperature of the battery. I live in cold Canada, so maybe 1 winter was rough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

Just feel obligated to share the story, hoping to save someone from what we went through or worse.

What you see on the picture happened 2 weeks ago (was busy trying to talk to Chrysler and Insurance so I haven't posted right away) at night. Car was charged and sitting on my driveway. We woke up from things blowing up. When I looked out of the window the flames were the height of the 2-story house.

4 kids, myself and my wife escaped through the backyard door, took firefighters 1 hour to put the fire down.

I was trying to install the charger inside of the garage but luckily couldn't fit the car easily. I used Chargepoint charger and it has nothing to do with the charger, obviously an issue with the car. I had this car for just over a year, no accidents, maintained at a Chrysler dealership.

Spoke to Chrysler, they said that they are sorry to hear about it but are not interested in anything else. No investigation , nothing. That amazes me as much as the car made for families blowing up on its own.

Not sure if I can add much more to this story but I am happy to answer any questions.

Regards,
Dima
Hello,

Just feel obligated to share the story, hoping to save someone from what we went through or worse.

What you see on the picture happened 2 weeks ago (was busy trying to talk to Chrysler and Insurance so I haven't posted right away) at night. Car was charged and sitting on my driveway. We woke up from things blowing up. When I looked out of the window the flames were the height of the 2-story house.

4 kids, myself and my wife escaped through the backyard door, took firefighters 1 hour to put the fire down.

I was trying to install the charger inside of the garage but luckily couldn't fit the car easily. I used Chargepoint charger and it has nothing to do with the charger, obviously an issue with the car. I had this car for just over a year, no accidents, maintained at a Chrysler dealership.

Spoke to Chrysler, they said that they are sorry to hear about it but are not interested in anything else. No investigation , nothing. That amazes me as much as the car made for families blowing up on its own.

Not sure if I can add much more to this story but I am happy to answer any questions.

Regards,
Dima
Dima,

I have not yet posted on this forum but I just recently experienced a fire/explosion with my Pacifica very, very similar to yours. Would you be willing to connect privately to compare notes? I don't see a direct message option on this site, unfortunately.

Thanks,
atfranks

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dima,

I have not yet posted on this forum but I just recently experienced a fire/explosion with my Pacifica very, very similar to yours. Would you be willing to connect privately to compare notes? I don't see a direct message option on this site, unfortunately.

Thanks,
atfranks
It would be more in keeping with the spirit of this forum if you told us about your Pacifica fire in the forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Yes, do tell.... we are all Pacifica Hybrid owners here, so your issue is directly relevant to all of us

221 - 232 of 232 Posts