2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Not sure if this has been posted before, but just want to hear your perspective about comparing these newest minivans. Motor trend did a comparison and guess what, the Pacifica came on top which I was really surprised given the fact that Sienna is an all new platform after more than a decade.
I was almost sure that Toyota had enough time to work out all kinks and they might source luxury stuff from the Lexus world and it’ll be a cakewalk for Sienna. I was expecting the ride of Sienna to be best, but it doesn’t look like it now.

It reminds me of the situation in 2018 when the new Odyssey was unveiled and I almost expected an Acura level of refinement and amenities and was sorely disappointed at what it really turned out to be.

2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Vs. 2021 Toyota Sienna: Which One Is Better?
2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle vs 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid Platinum 2

The Sienna Platinum's second-row seats and smart convenience features in the front make the cabin a great place for road trips, but it falls short compared to the Pacifica. The materials are lower quality in the Sienna, and the extra cost of the rear-seat entertainment and lack of modern technology and family-friendly features such as the Pacifica's FamCam set it back in terms of value. Time will tell whether differences in retained value equalizes these competitors
Both minivans offer great amenities for families. From the Sienna's comfort features to the Pacifica's technology, these family haulers are well positioned in the segment. What's more, their hybrid powertrains are saving money at the pump while helping make the environment greener. But as we saw in this comparison, they do those things differently.
The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid takes home the gold. Despite being a midcycle refresh, the Pacifica still has the mojo that got our attention when it first came out. It keeps families entertained while delivering a peaceful ride and a fancy cabin—all while delivering terrific fuel economy. The Toyota Sienna does a lot of things right, including making its hybrid powertrain standard and offering all-wheel drive. But it also has some important misses—the lack of family-friendly technology, the small windows in the third row, and a harsher ride stand out. Its smart convenience features are great, but when we weighed all the plusses and minuses, the Pacifica came out on top.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When you start pretending to be something you're not, you rarely come out ahead. Eg, they evidently tried to make the Sienna less van-like, yet it's still a van. So it's less useful, but without much gained:
"The 2nd row chairs don't come out nor do they fold into floor, which limits how much you can pack into the Sienna."
"The previous Sienna could hold 150 cu/ft, far more than the new Sienna's 101 cubic feet."
"Cargo volume behind the second and third rows is down by 12 and 5 cubes, respectively."
Yet it's even 2.7" longer and .5" wider than it used to be. 🤔

Further, you now have a vacuum and cooler welded into the center of the 2nd row. If you want to put a cooler (or anything) there (like we've done for car trips), or easily maneuver to the other side, or slide in a long item along the 2nd row floor, you can't now. Also, that "cooler" looks like it can fit about 1 can of soda. The driver row seems more cramped too.

The primary selling point to the Sienna is the non-PHEV MPG. It is impressive. However, It has a whopping 31 horsepower less on its engine (ICE) compared to the PacHy's ICE. Further, it has a smaller interior and exterior than the Pacifica. So it's not as peppy as the PacHy (longer 0-60) despite being 200lb lighter and a smaller wind-resistance footprint. So—it better get good non-plugin MPG! Further, the PacHy's "eMPG" still blows it out of the water because you can plug in.

I do like the digital rear-view mirror and seatbelt fasten indicator for all seats.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Some people will buy just on reputation alone. I feel sorry for them as they might be missing out on something nicer. The Sienna looks over styled and under engineered. I mean look at the horrendous third row mechanism! It doesn't look like its changed since Gen 2. And the odd placement of things like the USB port on the dash, next to the wireless charging. Its like no one even plugged in a cable to try it out. Oh well, the 36mpg is commendable but with gas at $1.50, its not that big a deal right now. And I'd rather have more power with the family loaded up on a road trip.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Take a look at the inside and see that the passenger a s driver cockpit is ugly . Not to mention a vehicle this size having a 4 cyl motor . Hybrid or not when you accelerate the motor screams is what one test article stated . I’ve always said load it up with 4-5 people some luggage and watch that thing work like a sewing machine ...lol..... and that will kill your mpg . Little 4 bangers in small vehicles , Prius size I get , but a 5 thousand pound plus 7 seater , I’ll pass. And besides , that design has no idea what it wants to me .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts