2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those members who have already taken delivery of your Pacifica Hybrid (or those who are familiar with the maintenance manual), what kind of unique maintenance requirements does the Pacifica Hybrid have (or not have) as compared to a traditional Pacifica with a gas-only engine?

For example, does the eFlite transmission need a fluid change? If so, is there a Mopar-specific fluid that is needed?

It would be interesting to note what maintenance requirements and timeframes are unique to the hybrid model.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For those members who have already taken delivery of your Pacifica Hybrid (or those who are familiar with the maintenance manual), what kind of unique maintenance requirements does the Pacifica Hybrid have (or not have) as compared to a traditional Pacifica with a gas-only engine?

For example, does the eFlite transmission need a fluid change? If so, is there a Mopar-specific fluid that is needed?

It would be interesting to note what maintenance requirements and timeframes are unique to the hybrid model.
Here is the maintenance schedule from the Hybrid's user guide as well as the recommended fluids.

:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
From experience owning a plug-in hybrid:
Oil changes are much less frequent. Most Hybrids should be able to go a year between oil changes.
Brakes last much longer because of regenerative braking.
There are three separate cooling systems. Not a major maintenance item, but low battery/electronics coolant can lead to all sorts of unnecessary problems. Keep on eye on coolant levels.

In general, maintenance requirements for hybrids are less than for conventional vehicles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is the maintenance schedule from the Hybrid's user guide as well as the recommended fluids.

:smile2:
Can you please post the link to the entire manual? :) In absence of the VAN would love to read some more about what is in the manual...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can you please post the link to the entire manual? :) In absence of the VAN would love to read some more about what is in the manual...[/quote

It can be downloaded at www.mopar.com. Just so you know, I did have to login to my account to get access to the download link.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to what I read in the included manual, you should wait for the engine oil change indicator and then bring the car in for servicing, but never exceed 1 year/10,000 miles between oil changes. Given it's a full synthetic 0W-20 required, and the engine only runs in hybrid mode, that seems reasonable.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find it odd the first oil change is set at 20,000 miles or 2 years, then every 10,000 miles or 1 year after that. They do advise rotating tires if/when you notice unusual wear, but I like the convenience of doing both at the same time. VW and Toyota are using 10k service intervals for oil change/tire rotations with regular, hybrid or TDI's (those still on the road), so is Chrysler using special synthetic high mileage oil? Mobil 1 is advertising their new 0-20w oil as good for 20k miles or 1x change per year. But why only the first service at 20k miles, and not every 20k miles?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I find it odd the first oil change is set at 20,000 miles or 2 years, then every 10,000 miles or 1 year after that.
It is true that if you just look at the maintenance schedule chart on page 201 of the User's Guide or page 451 of the Owner's manual that you might interpret it to mean that the first oil change is at 20K miles, but those charts are in addition to the tables on pages 200 and 450 respectively. At a maximum of 10K miles or when indicated by the Oil Change Indicator System you should do the following:

Change oil and filter
Rotate the tires - Rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator system turns on
Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as required
Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses and park brake
Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect engine air cleaner if using in dusty or off-road conditions

Then, in addition to those items at each 10K max, accomplish the additional inspections and maintenance on the charts on page 201/451

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just think Chrysler should make it as plain as other auto makes, and just show the 10k service interval in the chart. I'm looking at the 617 page pdf owners manual downloaded on my phone and the page numbers seo68 states don't correlate. The Service and Maintenance chapter starts on page 441. On page 443 and page 450, they indicate under "NOTE:" that oil change intervals should not exceed 10k miles or 350 hours of engine run, but they don't show anything for a 10k service/year 1 in the chart that starts on page 444! Why skip year 1 and start with year 2 or 20k miles in the chart? Also page 444 states at the top "At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated Oil Change Indicator System", accompanied by the list seo68 states.

I have 4,520 miles, and my oil life monitor is showing 80%, theoretically taking me over 20k miles. I guess my Oil Change Indicator will light up when I reach 1 year or 10k miles?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I just think Chrysler should make it as plain as other auto makes, and just show the 10k service interval in the chart. I'm looking at the 617 page pdf owners manual downloaded on my phone and the page numbers seo68 states don't correlate. The Service and Maintenance chapter starts on page 441. On page 443 and page 450, they indicate under "NOTE:" that oil change intervals should not exceed 10k miles or 350 hours of engine run, but they don't show anything for a 10k service/year 1 in the chart that starts on page 444! Why skip year 1 and start with year 2 or 20k miles in the chart? Also page 444 states at the top "At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated Oil Change Indicator System", accompanied by the list seo68 states.

I have 4,520 miles, and my oil life monitor is showing 80%, theoretically taking me over 20k miles. I guess my Oil Change Indicator will light up when I reach 1 year or 10k miles?
My mistake, I have a 2018 and now that I pay attention I see that you have a 2017. The manuals have some small differences that skew the page numbers, but the content of the service charts are the same. I agree that it might have been a little less confusing to combine those two charts into one, but I guess they felt it would be a little more compact to display them as they did.

Nonetheless, the 10,000 mile number is a little bit bogus, because unless you do extraordinarily detailed record keeping, I don't know how you could determine when you had put 10,000 miles on the ICE. Based on my current usage, about 20% of my total miles are ICE, so I would drive for about 4 years before I would get 10,000 ICE miles. I know the manual doesn't make the distinction of ICE miles, but those are really the only miles that matter when it comes to ICE oil changes.

The 12 month admonition is a good one though, especially for those whose driving is similar to mine where the bulk of the miles are electric and the ICE doesn't run all that much. Oil does accumulate moisture and becomes acidic, and can eventually attack metal. I'm not sure if the Oil Change Indicator is smart enough to know that it has been a year since it was last reset, but it should be. An annual oil change is absolutely appropriate, even if only 2,000 of the miles in that year have been propelled by the ICE.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nonetheless, the 10,000 mile number is a little bit bogus, because unless you do extraordinarily detailed record keeping, I don't know how you could determine when you had put 10,000 miles on the ICE.
Go through the menus in the instrument cluster, there is a screen that tracks overall EV miles and Hybrid miles. And it can be reset if you wish to track from oil change to oil change.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hmm, my mileage is currently 1950, and the oil shows 82%.
My mistake, I have a 2018 and now that I pay attention I see that you have a 2017. The manuals have some small differences that skew the page numbers, but the content of the service charts are the same.
Even the 2018 manual is on its 3rd edition. They changed formatting, and it affected the page numbering.

Not a PacHy specific, I find it puzzling that the brake fluid changes are not included in the maintenance schedule. Most manufacturers require changing it every 2-3 years.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Not a PacHy specific, I find it puzzling that the brake fluid changes are not included in the maintenance schedule. Most manufacturers require changing it every 2-3 years.
True, that is puzzling. I can't imagine why any vehicle using DOT3/4 should go more than 2 or 3 years unless it is an extraordinarily well-sealed system.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Go through the menus in the instrument cluster, there is a screen that tracks overall EV miles and Hybrid miles. And it can be reset if you wish to track from oil change to oil change.
True enough. I didn't consider not resetting the trip meter prior to an oil change, but that would be a way to do it. In my case, it would be an annual reset.

·
Registered
165 Posts
From my 2018 manual (3rd edition): Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine run time

I don't think it's been stressed enough that this is a hybrid. If 75% of your driving is EV, your engine/oil isn't getting a lot of use and wear. Therefore, for many PacHy owners, oil changes will be annual regardless of mileage. I might change mine earlier due to being new and wanting to ensure premium synthetic is used as well as for break-in wear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is the maintenance schedule from the Hybrid's user guide as well as the recommended fluids.:smile2:

Thanks for posting these screen shots, just passing 4000 miles on mine now and was wondering when I will need to get this in for the first maintennance. I was thinking tire rotations may need to be like at 5000 or 7500 mile intervals, I guess it depends on how they wear.

(P.S. - on the Mac, you can select a portion of the screen using cmd-shift-4 instead of capturing your entire desktop using cmd-shift-3... FYI.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone know the fee schedule? I imagine it will vary shop to shop but often at the dealer you'll see a breakdown of what each maintenance in a cycle costs. Usually the first one is pretty cheap, the second a little more and a little more until you get back to the first in a cycle of 3-5.

This would be my first Chrysler product so I guess I could go to a Chrysler dealer to see but thought I'd ask first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Confused about service schedule

So I am really confused about when I am supposed to bring my Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited in. It's a fairly recent model (2018) and when I called up the local service center they said around 6k miles.

But when I look at my Mopar website Care section, it says 20K miles.

20K Miles!

Thats a big difference between 20K miles and 6K miles!!!!

And then in this thread I am seeing 10K miles and other suggestions of when to bring it in. I was hoping the car would just flash or tell me when it needs to be brought in for service.

Do I bring it in at 6K miles as the dealer suggests or do I bring it in at 20K miles??!? Or should I just wait until "something" flashes in the car to bring it in????

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The once in 20k services are in addition to the oil changes, which should be done when recommended by the dashboard oil life indicator.
From https://www.mopar.com/chrysler/en-us/care/maintenance-schedule.html
At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated By Oil Change Indicator System:

• Change oil and filter
  • Rotate the tires Rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator system turns on
  • Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as required
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses and park brake
  • Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses
  • Inspect exhaust system
  • Inspect engine air cleaner if using in dusty or off-road conditions

I'd say it is OK to do the first oil change ahead of the schedule.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts