2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just venting here, but also for any potential buyers since I looked at this site before making my purchases, I massively regret having bought not just one, but two (for my wife and me), 2018 Pacific Hybrid Limiteds last summer. To anyone considering an Odyssey or something similar, just do it, you won't regret it. The Pacificas are not ready for primetime and, let's face it, Chrysler is not a top-quality auto company in terms of manufacturing or service.

I'm going to take a bath but I'm planning on getting rid of both at this point.

Won't bore anyone with all the details, but one has been at the dealer for repairs for 9 weeks now. It was after a front-end collision, but not a major accident by any means and was supposed to take a few weeks to repair. Dealer's body shop fixed the body damage easily enough but have been unable to get the car to start for something like 5 weeks now. Star Case was opened, blah, blah, blah, I finally called and it was "escalated" and would be contacted within 1-2 business days, never heard anything. The story goes on and on.

Other Pacifica had the A/C conk out and the interior front passenger seat squeaks like crazy when driving which drives us all nuts. This is a $50,000 car and shouldn't sound like a cheap, broken-down car after 6 months!

These were my first and last Chryslers. Shame on me for taking a chance on them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm not sure how collision damage is Chrysler's fault. That's between you and your insurance company. You might blame a dealer if it's not repaired properly, but the dealer isn't Chrysler.

Why haven't you just had the AC and seat on the other one fixed under warranty? That should be simple enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just venting here, but also for any potential buyers since I looked at this site before making my purchases, I massively regret having bought not just one, but two (for my wife and me), 2018 Pacific Hybrid Limiteds last summer. To anyone considering an Odyssey or something similar, just do it, you won't regret it. The Pacificas are not ready for primetime and, let's face it, Chrysler is not a top-quality auto company in terms of manufacturing or service.

I'm going to take a bath but I'm planning on getting rid of both at this point.

Won't bore anyone with all the details, but one has been at the dealer for repairs for 9 weeks now. It was after a front-end collision, but not a major accident by any means and was supposed to take a few weeks to repair. Dealer's body shop fixed the body damage easily enough but have been unable to get the car to start for something like 5 weeks now. Star Case was opened, blah, blah, blah, I finally called and it was "escalated" and would be contacted within 1-2 business days, never heard anything. The story goes on and on.

Other Pacifica had the A/C conk out and the interior front passenger seat squeaks like crazy when driving which drives us all nuts. This is a $50,000 car and shouldn't sound like a cheap, broken-down car after 6 months!

These were my first and last Chryslers. Shame on me for taking a chance on them.
I am in market for a minivan and the point above is not something I was considering. Is PacHy more difficult to get fixed if its an accident? This could be because of the parts being in limited supply or the technicians not being trained. Most other cars could be repaired at a numerous other shops because how familiar their mechanisms are to the technicians. Are there other owners here who had an accident and had to wait unusually long time to get their cars repaired?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RC Mike, I'm not faulting them for the collision damage. I'm faulting them for being unresponsive both to the dealer and then to me to a Star Case that was opened and then supposedly "escalated" when I finally called myself. Trying to avoid bogging down in all the details here, but a large and seemingly sophisticated Chrysler dealer has a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited (mine) that is fixed from the collision and they think is ready to go, but it won't power on and they can't figure out why. They think the collision sensor won't reset or needs replacing, and they contacted Chrysler for support/parts. I'm also annoyed that I was told I'd be contacted within 1-2 business days when I called myself and they said it was "escalated", and that was a week ago with no contact. So this part of my general issue with Chrysler is for terrible service.

I'm also faulting Chrysler for designing and building car in the first place that a larger dealer can think is fixed and is perplexed about why it won't start.

I'm also faulting Chrysler for selling a $50,000 car with this many issues, not just the ones I mentioned in passing.

It's fine if you disagree or think I'm overreacting, but I dropped $100,000 on two Chryslers less than a year ago and regret it. I had a lot of great choices at $50,000 for a car and had never bought a Chrysler before. They've lost me for good. I'm telling anyone who asks me about a minivan just to stick with gas Odyssey for now (I had one and it was great), and if you want to go EV buy a Tesla (have one now and love it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stop-eject, yeah, apparently that's the issue here. Did I say it has been 9 weeks? :)

I had an Odyssey and loved it, but, sure, if you're going to read my comment literally then you're right that I don't know if someone else will love one.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Not that I have much faith in Consumer Reports, but they rated Ody reliability lower than Pac. All latest generation cars suffer from issues with electronics and dealership mechanics are ill equipped to deal with them.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Unfortunate situation for both parties (OP and Chrysler).
You had a car which was damaged by a collision and is not drivable now. So you should ask the insurance to total it. That’s not Chrysler’s fault. Did they give you a loaner?
I agree they are not great in service department.
Please send a pm to @ChryslerCares. That can help many times to speed up the resolution.
With your other car, get it repaired under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
RC Mike, I'm not faulting them for the collision damage. I'm faulting them for being unresponsive both to the dealer and then to me to a Star Case that was opened and then supposedly "escalated" when I finally called myself. Trying to avoid bogging down in all the details here, but a large and seemingly sophisticated Chrysler dealer has a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited (mine) that is fixed from the collision and they think is ready to go, but it won't power on and they can't figure out why. They think the collision sensor won't reset or needs replacing, and they contacted Chrysler for support/parts. I'm also annoyed that I was told I'd be contacted within 1-2 business days when I called myself and they said it was "escalated", and that was a week ago with no contact. So this part of my general issue with Chrysler is for terrible service.
I agree that they are guilty of this too often.

I'm also faulting Chrysler for designing and building car in the first place that a larger dealer can think is fixed and is perplexed about why it won't start.
With accident damage you never know whats messed up. Its a complicated vehicle. Its possible a harness is damaged, or the body shop messed up putting a connector back together.. It comes apart and goes together and one wire in the wrong spot and bam.. big problems.

This is no different for any high end vehicle. BMW, Infinity, Lexus, Mercedes.. even your beloved Odyssey.

Its a little hard for a guy on the internet (Star case) to know what the problem is with no control on what condition the product is in. If it was a tow-in and just dead however they can be very effective because you know the vehicle was working correctly before. This helps form a logical diagnosis procedure.

In your case they may have to undo all the repairs to find the issue.

This is collision complications.. and not really anyones fault imo.

I'm also faulting Chrysler for selling a $50,000 car with this many issues, not just the ones I mentioned in passing.

It's fine if you disagree or think I'm overreacting, but I dropped $100,000 on two Chryslers less than a year ago and regret it.
Its your right to reget a purchase.

But to be honest here, I repair BMW and we have a lot of these issues too.. this is what warranty is for.

If your not happy - have it fixed. Thats also your right. I guarantee you all high end brands will have the exact same “quality” issues from what you briefly described.

Ultimately you get to choose.

We stock seat frames locally because squeaking is a common defect in comfort seats that are fully adjustable. More moving parts, more chance for noises.. not a big deal (or surprising)

I had a lot of great choices at $50,000 for a car and had never bought a Chrysler before. They've lost me for good. I'm telling anyone who asks me about a minivan just to stick with gas Odyssey for now (I had one and it was great), and if you want to go EV buy a Tesla (have one now and love it).
Without “going into the details” this position your taking doesn't translate well and feels rather shallow.

Why is this vehicle not ready for primetime? What defects have you experienced?

Enlighten us so we can be more empathetic

·
Registered
104 Posts
When Volvo brought out the new design 2016 XC90, it was an absolute disaster. Software issues galore and these were cars that could top $80K. They have since gotten their stuff together but it was a long road to recovery, point being that no matter the price point, these are very complex machines.
Our son had an Civic hybrid that was in a front end collision when someone pulled out in front of him. The dealer took several months to get the car to run again and was never the same after that.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think it’s funny how a accident allows somebody to point the finger at FCA . If I were you I’d check the internet about dealer service @ Honda, Mercedes, Bmw , Tesla , etc. The lack of service at any dealership is rampant no matter what you buy . Unfortunate when we as consumers want more and more technology we suffer the consequences in the end . People knowingly buy apple products knowing that the batteries die, houses with warped drywall, foundations that crack , etc. Unfortunately in today’s age customer service takes a back seat . If they cant fix the van then I think that’s between you and the insurance company . I’ve had zero issues with mine and would buy another one in a blink of a eye. Technology comes with a price and everything today is becoming more and more disposable .

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, there are allot of dealer service departments that need a quick trip to the wood shed.

To me, it sounds like a serious case of lack of training or a "Failure to communicate"

We have had our 2018 since mid July 2018 and so far we have put 30,000 km on it.
The only real issue besides recalls that we have had is that from time to time...................and not that often.............we need to put gasoline into it.

Oh, and I did change the oil a couple of times.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This reminds me of my best friend right after our college graduation... she wanted a new car now that she had income, and announced that she intended to buy a Mercedes because "it's so expensive that I'm sure it will never break down". After all the adults in the room stopped laughing (including her parents), they explained to us that a luxury car would probably cost more to repair than an inexpensive compact car, not less.

A fully loaded PacHy is pricey, but all car brands and models have issues. On the other hand, lots of us have been lucky and not had any problems... I'm at 18 months and over 24,000 miles and still loving mine. I don't have kids at home but it's more fuel-efficient than our smaller ICE car, so if it breaks I'll probably get another.

·
Registered
8 Posts
But the problem is you never know whether you will get a lemon one. After years on the market, the rational case is that they have fixed most of the issues, at least the critical ones. That's why I pulled the trigger on a brand new 2019 limited PacHy. The reality is I quickly got a dead high-voltage battery after 3 months and 3k miles (seeing the famous red turtle, then engine light on). Car has been in the dealership for almost 5 weeks. Everytime call the service department, they will tell you it should be ready by next Friday. Remark you will not get a Hybrid loaner, so I'm paying over $800 monthly loan for an ICE car that I don't want to drive at all. Most of the time, the loaner is on my driveway. The FCA case manager escalated the case to his colleague, who is supposed to initiate the buyback process. However, nothing heard in 10 days. So the point is we are ok for seeing all kinds of issues, it is unacceptable for the same problem repeating again and again, on top of that is the terrible 'communication' and customer care. I guess, for a good $50K experience, their attitude is more important than purely relying on our luck. On the other hand, I'm fortunate enough to see this within one year, which qualifies me for the lemon law. It can be much worse if this happens after one year of purchase as continuously reported in several other cases on the forum.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
But the problem is you never know whether you will get a lemon one. The reality is I quickly got a dead high-voltage battery after 3 months and 3k miles (seeing the famous red turtle, then engine light on). Car has been in the dealership for almost 5 weeks. Everytime call the service department, they will tell you it should be ready by next Friday. Remark you will not get a Hybrid loaner, so I'm paying over $800 monthly loan for an ICE car that I don't want to drive at all. Most of the time, the loaner is on my driveway.
I’m sorry for your luck.

At least in the US You have a lemon-law. In Canada your married to your purchase! I had a customer with a new Alpina B6 that destroyed his driveshaft and the parts where not available for 2months (they literally had to make one).. TBH he could have avoided the entire situation had be come in as soon as the car was making knocking noises and shaking as the flexable coupling began to deteriorate. But hey..

He negotiated his financing payments be covered while his vehicle was out of service..

Not a bad proposition really..

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
He negotiated his financing payments be covered while his vehicle was out of service..

Not a bad proposition really..
Wow..., That was the best negotiation he made. Assuming it is a three year finance situation, and the company takes three long years to reliably make and put together that stuff which broke, he would have got himself a free BMW Alpina.... Awesome. :wink2::grin2:>:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts