2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2019 Pacifica hybrid in July 2019. With less than 5000 miles I started getting a "service charging system" error. This error will not allow me to start the van or put in gear. I have had the car serviced from both Stoneridge DCJ in Dublin and Stevens Creek DCJ in San Jose. These are the only bay area dealerships with technicians trained to work on the Pacifica hybrid. Neither dealership was able to root cause the issue. They both sent me home with No Trouble Found. As soon as I got home, the issue reoccurred the following morning.
I have found a way to successfully reproduce the issue. If I drive the van until the hybrid battery is <1% (fully depleted), then leave the van without charging overnight. The issue will occur when I try to start it in the morning.
To recover from the failure I have to reset the van's computer. If you look under the hood and find where the 12V battery should sit, you will find a red 12V terminal. I disconnected this terminal and then connected again. This reset the van's computer, which then allowed me to start the van from the gas engine, since the hybrid battery was still depleted.
I've found that if the 12V battery terminal drops below ~12.5V then I experience the issue. If the 12V battery is above 12.5V then no issues. This is why you need to wait overnight for the issue to occur. The 12V battery will leak down overnight. If you are driving around with a depleted hybrid battery, the 12V battery will be fully charged and above the threshold for when the issue occurs.
I left the van for a few days and the 12V battery terminal dropped below 12V. I had to jump the van with another truck to get it started.
Once the issue occurs, the plugin charger detection is also broken, so you can't charge the hybrid battery once the service message appears.
Another symptom of the issue is that the engine fan (under the hood) will turn on at a very high rate. The van has not started but the fan turns on and is extremely loud.
I also had to have the van towed for the service appointment. They first sent a flat bed, but since the issue will not allow you to put the van in neutral, they had to send the flat bed away and bring a wrecker with dollies.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I purchased my 2019 Pacifica hybrid in July 2019. With less than 5000 miles I started getting a "service charging system" error. This error will not allow me to start the van or put in gear. I have had the car serviced from both Stoneridge DCJ in Dublin and Stevens Creek DCJ in San Jose. These are the only bay area dealerships with technicians trained to work on the Pacifica hybrid. Neither dealership was able to root cause the issue. They both sent me home with No Trouble Found. As soon as I got home, the issue reoccurred the following morning.
I have found a way to successfully reproduce the issue. If I drive the van until the hybrid battery is <1% (fully depleted), then leave the van without charging overnight. The issue will occur when I try to start it in the morning.
To recover from the failure I have to reset the van's computer. If you look under the hood and find where the 12V battery should sit, you will find a red 12V terminal. I disconnected this terminal and then connected again. This reset the van's computer, which then allowed me to start the van from the gas engine, since the hybrid battery was still depleted.
I've found that if the 12V battery terminal drops below ~12.5V then I experience the issue. If the 12V battery is above 12.5V then no issues. This is why you need to wait overnight for the issue to occur. The 12V battery will leak down overnight. If you are driving around with a depleted hybrid battery, the 12V battery will be fully charged and above the threshold for when the issue occurs.
I left the van for a few days and the 12V battery terminal dropped below 12V. I had to jump the van with another truck to get it started.
Once the issue occurs, the plugin charger detection is also broken, so you can't charge the hybrid battery once the service message appears.
Another symptom of the issue is that the engine fan (under the hood) will turn on at a very high rate. The van has not started but the fan turns on and is extremely loud.
I also had to have the van towed for the service appointment. They first sent a flat bed, but since the issue will not allow you to put the van in neutral, they had to send the flat bed away and bring a wrecker with dollies.
Hi Kitch29, We sincerely regret to hear of all the trouble that has been associated with your Pacifica hybrid battery. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.
Rob
ChryslerCares

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kitch29, We sincerely regret to hear of all the trouble that has been associated with your Pacifica hybrid battery. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.
Rob
ChryslerCares
Rob,
Thanks for reaching out. I delivered the van to the Stevens Creek dealership in San Jose today (12/30/2019). They are supposed to look at it tomorrow morning at 7am. If they leave the car overnight, then they should be able to reproduce the issue in the morning.
I am working with Dan in the service department. I will follow up with any findings from this third trip to the service department for this issue.

thanks,
K29

·
Registered
69 Posts
any follow up on this? I feel mine just had the same issue. Sat for 3 days but was plugged in. The van acted like a complete dead 12v battery. I hook jumpers to it and it sprung back to life. The service charging system was illuminated till I ran the van and then put it back on the charger. The service engine light was on for a couple days and now went out. We had a similar issue with our kia ev. Its like the system is "asleep" and you have to wake it up with a jolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to resolve the issue. After taking the van in to two different dealerships, I finally got a hint. They were never able to reproduce the issue. I was only a lot to reproduce it over night at my house. I think it is because of the infotainment system connection to my phone. I think the phone is keeping the infotainment system up at night and draining the battery.
I disconnected both my wife and my phone, upgrade the phones software, and reconnected one at a time about 2 weeks apart. I ‘ve not seen any issues since.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
any follow up on this? I feel mine just had the same issue. Sat for 3 days but was plugged in. The van acted like a complete dead 12v battery. I hook jumpers to it and it sprung back to life. The service charging system was illuminated till I ran the van and then put it back on the charger. The service engine light was on for a couple days and now went out. We had a similar issue with our kia ev. Its like the system is "asleep" and you have to wake it up with a jolt.
Sorry to hear this, Dakitez. Have you made your dealer aware or this concern? We recommend visiting them at your earliest convenience to have this looked into further. We're happy to assist with this process as well. Just send us a private message.

Lydia
ChryslerCares

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
1 Posts
we purchased the 2018 hybrid model and we had the same problem after a few months. The car had to be towed to the dealership (Putnam in Burlingame). We left it overnight and picked it up next day. I wasn’t given an explanation only that they had to “reset the computer”. Felt like they down-played the problem as it rendered the entire vehicle inoperable and the car was less than a year old. Nonetheless, we assumed the problem was fixed. Then about 2 weeks ago, it happened again. We had the car running (charge had depleted so running on gas) and my boys and I were waiting for my wife to grab some groceries. The same warning showed up and the car shut down. It freaked me out thinking we had to get it towed again. Luckily, after a few tries to restart, the problem just went away. I don’t know why or how. The “check engine” light stayed on but that also went away the following day.
The common denominator in both instances were a depleted battery.
I wonder if anyone has had this issue fixed by a dealer but then experienced a recurrence. Should I still contact the dealer even when the problem has seemingly resolved itself?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts