2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm new to the community here and wanted to see if there's anyone else having a similar problem to us with our 2018 Pacifica Hybrid. We have had the car new since late 2018 and hadn't had any major issues until recently when my entire family and I had boarded the van for an outing early this month (July 3, 2022 to be precise) only to find that our van would not start. The high voltage battery had charged over night on our Leviton level 2, 40 amp. charger which we have been using to charge the van since new. The dash was indicating 100% charge, everything would light up, the automatic doors, the infotainment screen and the interior lights all worked perfectly normal but the van would not start no matter what we did. Multiple attempts were made to restart the car without any success. After this we waited until after the 4th of July holiday to have the van towed to the dealership where we purchased it.

After a couple of days, we got a call from the dealership to ask us what had happened and we explained the situation to them. Two days later, the dealership informed us that they were communicating with the manufacture because they were unable to diagnose the problem. Another weekend went by and I hadn't heard back from the dealer so I decided to pay them a visit. They then informed me that the trouble code that was coming up on their computer was P1E1B battery side voltage isolation, and that the Chrysler gave them instruction to perform an "Isolation reset" which is basically, to my understanding, disconnecting the hybrid system's high voltage battery and reconnecting it. This allowed the van to restart without any apparent issues. They test drove the van for about 20 miles and plugged in it to their level 2, 240v Mopar brand, charger to get a charge. They released the car for me to take home and everything seemed to work normally for the next couple of days. We drove the car around town and plugged it in at night. The first two nights after fully charging the van from 0-100% with our level 2 charger, the car was fine. The morning after the third night of fully charging the van again, on our level 2 charger, the van was not starting up again in the exact same way as it had done previously.

The van was then towed again to the dealer and after a couple of days they had told me that they performed the same isolation reset to the battery and they they were testing the car again. Everything seemed to be working normal and this time the dealer had driven the car for 70 miles and did two full recharges from 0-100%. The manufacture had informed them that they suspect a problem with my level 2 home charger and they recommend I use a Mopar charger.

We brought the car home a couple days ago now and aren't feeling too confident that the issue won't recur. We are currently only using the Mopar level 1 charger that came with the van to charge. I should mention that using the level 1 charger is an added problem for us because we need the battery to charge from 12am-6am to be able to take advantage of the EV rate we have with our utility company which is not possible with the level 1 charger because it takes 12 hours approximately to fully charge from 0-100%. While we have charged the battery 3 full cycles from 0-100% without any issue, we're afraid that one day it won't start up again with both Chrysler the dealer not knowing what the actual problem is thus not having a solution for the problem.

Like I mentioned before, both Chrysler and the dealership were not truly able to diagnose the problem. The only thing they told me was for us to use a Mopar brand charger. This suggest we buy a $600+, level 2 Mopar brand charger, not including installation. I can't agree with Chrysler on the charger being the issue because our current level 2 charger is the charger we have used to charge the van for almost 4 years now. This same charger is also currently charging our other plug-in vehicle issue free. Why does this issue occur now and only on one of our plug in cars? If they gave me an explanation for the specific problem we are encountering, which I don't think they have one for, I could agree with them and feel slightly more confident that they can resolve the issue, but that's not the case.

This is a big safety concern to me because this is the vehicle my wife and kids use on a daily basis and I'm afraid that they can one day be left stranded without being able to start the car. I am also disappointed that the whole time (20 days approximately) the car was at the shop, again both Chrysler and the dealer were unable to lend us a car even though I openly and directly asked for one in repeated occasions.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle Maximum Steel
157 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. But realistically, the dealership is responding as expected. They have ruled out battery issues by charging and trying to recreate the issue using the Mopar charger they have. They asked you to try using the level 1 included charger to try and see if the issue reappears. Even with time of use, the diagnostics might end up costing you $10 (and I'm exaggerating if you start charging it before going to bed)

Now, the included level 1 charger supports 240v, so if your current level 2 charger has a plug and is not hard wired, simply build or purchase an adapter and charge using 240v that way the level 1 charger will take only 6 hours. But if it's just for testing purposes this fix might be more expensive than just paying for the electricity.

Best of luck and keep us posted, what brand is your level 2 charging? Have you used it to charge other vehicles? Have you reached out to the manufacturer and ask if they have heard any similar issues?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Worth a read from those with Leviton:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hi there! I'm new to the community here and wanted to see if there's anyone else having a similar problem to us with our 2018 Pacifica Hybrid. We have had the car new since late 2018 and hadn't had any major issues until recently when my entire family and I had boarded the van for an outing early this month (July 3, 2022 to be precise) only to find that our van would not start. The high voltage battery had charged over night on our Leviton level 2, 40 amp. charger which we have been using to charge the van since new. The dash was indicating 100% charge, everything would light up, the automatic doors, the infotainment screen and the interior lights all worked perfectly normal but the van would not start no matter what we did. Multiple attempts were made to restart the car without any success. After this we waited until after the 4th of July holiday to have the van towed to the dealership where we purchased it.

After a couple of days, we got a call from the dealership to ask us what had happened and we explained the situation to them. Two days later, the dealership informed us that they were communicating with the manufacture because they were unable to diagnose the problem. Another weekend went by and I hadn't heard back from the dealer so I decided to pay them a visit. They then informed me that the trouble code that was coming up on their computer was P1E1B battery side voltage isolation, and that the Chrysler gave them instruction to perform an "Isolation reset" which is basically, to my understanding, disconnecting the hybrid system's high voltage battery and reconnecting it. This allowed the van to restart without any apparent issues. They test drove the van for about 20 miles and plugged in it to their level 2, 240v Mopar brand, charger to get a charge. They released the car for me to take home and everything seemed to work normally for the next couple of days. We drove the car around town and plugged it in at night. The first two nights after fully charging the van from 0-100% with our level 2 charger, the car was fine. The morning after the third night of fully charging the van again, on our level 2 charger, the van was not starting up again in the exact same way as it had done previously.

The van was then towed again to the dealer and after a couple of days they had told me that they performed the same isolation reset to the battery and they they were testing the car again. Everything seemed to be working normal and this time the dealer had driven the car for 70 miles and did two full recharges from 0-100%. The manufacture had informed them that they suspect a problem with my level 2 home charger and they recommend I use a Mopar charger.

We brought the car home a couple days ago now and aren't feeling too confident that the issue won't recur. We are currently only using the Mopar level 1 charger that came with the van to charge. I should mention that using the level 1 charger is an added problem for us because we need the battery to charge from 12am-6am to be able to take advantage of the EV rate we have with our utility company which is not possible with the level 1 charger because it takes 12 hours approximately to fully charge from 0-100%. While we have charged the battery 3 full cycles from 0-100% without any issue, we're afraid that one day it won't start up again with both Chrysler the dealer not knowing what the actual problem is thus not having a solution for the problem.

Like I mentioned before, both Chrysler and the dealership were not truly able to diagnose the problem. The only thing they told me was for us to use a Mopar brand charger. This suggest we buy a $600+, level 2 Mopar brand charger, not including installation. I can't agree with Chrysler on the charger being the issue because our current level 2 charger is the charger we have used to charge the van for almost 4 years now.
Yeah, it’a highly unlikely that the problem is with your EVSE. That’s just a cop out. The diagnostic code should be what will help them troubleshoot the problem. Whatever “battery side voltage isolation” is, I doubt very much that it has anything to do with your EVSE. Somebody needs to ask the Chrysler engineers what that fault code means and what causes it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. But realistically, the dealership is responding as expected. They have ruled out battery issues by charging and trying to recreate the issue using the Mopar charger they have. They asked you to try using the level 1 included charger to try and see if the issue reappears. Even with time of use, the diagnostics might end up costing you $10 (and I'm exaggerating if you start charging it before going to bed)

Now, the included level 1 charger supports 240v, so if your current level 2 charger has a plug and is not hard wired, simply build or purchase an adapter and charge using 240v that way the level 1 charger will take only 6 hours. But if it's just for testing purposes this fix might be more expensive than just paying for the electricity.

Best of luck and keep us posted, what brand is your level 2 charging? Have you used it to charge other vehicles? Have you reached out to the manufacturer and ask if they have heard any similar issues?
Thanks for your input. My level 2 charger is a Leviton 40 amp. device. We do have another EV vehicle (a 2018 BMW i3 rex) and currently are using that same Leviton level 2 charger to recharge the battery on that vehicle with out any issues. We also have been plugging in the van for the last 4 years to that same level 2 charger without any problems until now of course. This is why I am skeptical about my level 2 charger being the culprit.

Since returning from the dealer (4 days now), we have been using the level 1 Mopar charger supplied by Chrysler when the van was purchsed without any issues. I still want to make sure my level 2 charger isn't causing the issue with the van but unfortunately, the Mopar charger that came with our van isn't capable of supporting 240v. Our van is a 2018 model and maybe the 120v/240V capable charger you mentioned comes with newer model years? Not sure.

At this point, I am thinking of occasionally plugging the van in at the dealer, if they allow it, to continue testing with their Mopar 240v charger. This will be very inconvenient but I can't think of any other way other than buying a $600+ Mopar 240v charger and installing it my self making this a very expensive test. I will try reaching out to Leviton to see if they know of any issues with their charger and my specific van and model year. Thanks for suggesting that!

I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks again and I'll keep everyone here posted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also take a look at the this Technical Service Bulletin which mentions your issue:

NOTE: Under a vehicle side isolation failure which generates P0AA6, the BPCM may falsely
set P1E1B (HV battery isolation failure) on key off which results in a no start
condition.**

This is a description of the fault code P1E1B (even though above it says your fault code is being misidentified and should be considered P0AA6):

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Worth a read from those with Leviton:

Thanks for the info. I have seen these discussions but I haven't had any issues with my Leviton EVSE in the past 4 years I've been plugging it to it with the van. Also. the van's software has received every updated available to this day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it’a highly unlikely that the problem is with your EVSE. That’s just a cop out. The diagnostic code should be what will help them troubleshoot the problem. Whatever “battery side voltage isolation” is, I doubt very much that it has anything to do with your EVSE. Somebody needs to ask the Chrysler engineers what that fault code means and what causes it.
I agree with you. The technician did reach out to Chrysler, and all I know is that they suspected a problem with the hybrid high voltage battery and after testing, concluded that everything was ok with the car and that the possible problem was my EVSE. Left me doubting they know what is actually going on or maybe don't want me to know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also take a look at the this Technical Service Bulletin which mentions your issue:

NOTE: Under a vehicle side isolation failure which generates P0AA6, the BPCM may falsely
set P1E1B (HV battery isolation failure) on key off which results in a no start
condition.**

This is a description of the fault code P1E1B (even though above it says your fault code is being misidentified and should be considered P0AA6):

Thanks for the info. I believe my van has received all the software updates available to this day. I double check though!

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle Maximum Steel
157 Posts
the Mopar charger that came with our van isn't capable of supporting 240v. Our van is a 2018 model and maybe the 120v/240V capable charger you mentioned comes with newer model years? Not sure.
While the included charger has a 120v plug, it does support 240v unofficially and multiple people have used it without problems. Hence my recommendation to buy the plug adapter to connect it.

I would still contact your EVSE manufacturer and explain the situation, they might have some troubleshooting steps, specially if the level 1 charger has not been giving you any issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While the included charger has a 120v plug, it does support 240v unofficially and multiple people have used it without problems. Hence my recommendation to buy the plug adapter to connect it.

I would still contact your EVSE manufacturer and explain the situation, they might have some troubleshooting steps, specially if the level 1 charger has not been giving you any issues.
Very interesting! I'll definitely take a look at this. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have a Chevy Bolt. Prior to 2022 they came with a 120v charger, but it could be used at 240v. When the car was sold in Europe as the Ampere, it was 240v. There are many posts on how to use it at 240v on the Bolt web site. A link to one is below.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

I have contacted Leviton, who makes my level 2 EVSE to ask if there were any known issues with my specific EVSE model and my Pacifica Hybrid and they told me that they weren't aware of any recurring problems or specific incompatibility problems. They stated that they don't believe there is anything wrong with the charger because their EVSE's are designed to communicate with all vehicle's on board chargers and if there any problems, the charger simply stops charging and in some circumstances turn on the fault light on the unit. They mentioned that if the charger works fine on our other EV and has been used on the van for years without any issues, they suspect a problem with the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid and not with their EVSE.

The car is still under warranty and also has an extended warranty so I don't want to tamper with the supplied level 1 120v charger to convert it to 240v and have problems with the warranty. I think my best bet is to charge occasionally at the dealer with their level 2 charger and if no problems occur, then buy a mopar level 2 EVSE. I'm open to more ideas if anyone is willing to help here.

The van is currently at the dealer getting a level 2 charge with a Mopar level 2 charger. I'll let anyone who's interested here know how it all goes.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The trouble code P0AA6 can be described as Hybrid Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault. The high voltage system is secluded from the low voltage system and the vehicle's frame. If a lot of voltage would be detected on the low voltage side, then the code P0AA6 will set. The high voltage system might shut down. Same issue different code

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had no issues and have been very happy with this new level 2 charger from Emporia Energy. It can be programmed when to charge and the maximum charge rate is also a setting that can be changed. And an added feature is it is the lowest priced level 2 charger I've found. Especially for one that can be used with a plug or hard wired.

I use this on my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I also have a Chevy Bolt. Prior to 2022 they came with a 120v charger, but it could be used at 240v. When the car was sold in Europe as the Ampere, it was 240v. There are many posts on how to use it at 240v on the Bolt web site. A link to one is below.

To expound on this a bit, the prevailing theory is that most (if not all) current OEM EVSE units are dual-voltage, the reason being that, rather than building two, distinct units for North American and European markets, the suppliers make both the exact same unit to save money, just with a different plug to match the market in which they're sold. Europe uses a 208v standard for residential electricity. The manufacturers simply don't want anyone to know for legal reasons (the required adapter to plug a 120v unit into a 240v outlet is non-code). Even now, the new Chevy Bolt EUV comes with an EVSE that has interchangeable 120v and 240v plugs. Nissan offers a similar option, except theirs cost a cool $1603 and comes with a standard 240v plug and a 120v plug adapter. It looks like a rebranded Shell Recharge unit which can be bought for a whole lot less.

The only US EVSEs that would 'not' work at 240v are at least one of the first Chevy Volt units. In the first few years of Volt production, GM went through a couple of suppliers, and one (possibly two) were 'not' dual voltage. AFAIK, those are the only exceptions to OEM 120v EVSEs being able to operate on 240v with a hacked adapter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had no issues and have been very happy with this new level 2 charger from Emporia Energy. It can be programmed when to charge and the maximum charge rate is also a setting that can be changed. And an added feature is it is the lowest priced level 2 charger I've found. Especially for one that can be used with a plug or hard wired.

I use this on my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid.
Thank you! I'll definitely keep this charger in mind. However, for my specific case, Chrysler recommends I only use Mopar chargers, otherwise, if the code comes back and I am not using their brand of chargers, they will likely say the charger is the problem. This is my dilemma! We've had the charging problem twice where the car would not start after charging. The car got towed in both occasions and all they could come up with was that the van was fine and that my charger was to blame. I have a quality working EVSE that has charged my Pacifica for almost 4 years now and charged a VW e-Golf and currently a BMW i3 without any issues. I just don't want to be forced to purchase a Mopar level 2 charger and have the same problem occur again and be stuck with 2 expensive working EVSE's. Sorry for the minor rant here 😁 I just feel a little frustrated with Chrysler and my dealer at the moment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Upadte:

Car charged at the dealer with their Mopar level 2 EVSE from 0-100% without any issues. However, we have been having some minor issues with the Mopar level 1 charger. in 4 different and consecutive occasions, charging over night we get a fault code on the charger. The top 2 led's are flashing red, while the bottom charging indicator led flashes green in a cycle of 4. The battery is charging very slowing when this happens and seems to be at 60% charge approximately after 12 hours of charging. This didn't happen ever before but I went ahead and disconnected my home sprinkler controller which has always been connected to the same circuit and the last two nights have been error free. Don't know exactly why this happens now because we have used this plug in the past and as of late, without the problem. The car is outside and the EVSE is inside the garage connected directly to the power outlet without any extension cords.

I've already tried reaching out to Chrysler, but hey are not helping at all. The least they can do is find a Mopar level 2 charger they can loan me to see if the issue really is with my Leviton 40a level 2 EVSE like they suspect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts