2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sounds ridiculous, but happened to our 2019 Pacifica Hybrid this morning (the car was purchased last December, and only had 3.5K miles). The check engine light was on, the car was fully charged but won't start, and I plugged in an OBD2 reader but it did not return any engine code. Then I noticed the message on the dashboard showed "Oil change required", and the Oil life indicator showed 0% in RED. Sure, I'd drive to the dealer to do the oil change if I could start the car :). It did not make any sense since the car was perfectly fine yesterday. After poking around, I figured it could be the Oil life indicator that confused the software (the oil was clean btw as far as I see), so I reseted it and ah ha, I could start the car again! After the car was started, it entered "Fuel refreshing" mode (and it might be running in that mode yesterday), this makes me to wonder whether this is a corner case that Chrysler engineers missed -- when fuel refreshing mode is due, the car will start the gas engine instead of using the battery, however, since the oil change is required/oil life is 0%, the gas engine cannot be started, therefore the car cannot be started. This sounds like a bug, hope the engineers will fix it in the next software update. The lesson I learned is to do the oil change before the oil life becomes 0%!

Bin

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
As we figured in the past, the van relies on GPS for timekeeping. When the GPS signal is lost, which can happen for several reasons, a multilevel parking being most common, the van gets confused. We know it can trigger the refresh mode, but it is possible that it thinks that the oil is older than 12 months and need to be changed due to aging. This theory doesn't explain the no start condition though.
You may try to reset the oil life indicator, who knows, maybe it will help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think you found a coincidence, not a cause. I run my van with 0%"oil life" for a few weeks often. The oil "timer" is just a count of engine hours, and I doubt it triggers anything in the starting of the van.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@1tg1, just curious, was your van running in fuel refreshing mode when it had 0% oil life? also which model year is your van? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s why I suspect it is a corner case — fuel refreshing mode + 0% oil life will make the van not to start.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have never heard of this phenomenon. The oil life indicator is not a oil analyst as it’s just driven by mileage usage . If the battery was at 0 and low fuel indicator I get the remote start wouldn’t work or shut off . Has the issue ever happened prior ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the van was running perfectly and never had any problem before. It now back to normal, and the engine light appeared after the van started a few times.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had varied mileage durations from 100%-10% from the oil life indicator. It takes into account more than just engine hours and mileage. I don't know the secret sauce, perhaps someone who works for FCA can specify.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've had varied mileage durations from 100%-10% from the oil life indicator. It takes into account more than just engine hours and mileage. I don't know the secret sauce, perhaps someone who works for FCA can specify.
It is a combo of miles, hours driving, hours idling, ambient temp, engine temp, and driving habits (drivetrain stress). The computer uses algorithms to factor all the variables into the oil life monitor.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It sounds ridiculous, but happened to our 2019 Pacifica Hybrid this morning (the car was purchased last December, and only had 3.5K miles). The check engine light was on, the car was fully charged but won't start, and I plugged in an OBD2 reader but it did not return any engine code. Then I noticed the message on the dashboard showed "Oil change required", and the Oil life indicator showed 0% in RED. Sure, I'd drive to the dealer to do the oil change if I could start the car :). It did not make any sense since the car was perfectly fine yesterday. After poking around, I figured it could be the Oil life indicator that confused the software (the oil was clean btw as far as I see), so I reseted it and ah ha, I could start the car again! After the car was started, it entered "Fuel refreshing" mode (and it might be running in that mode yesterday), this makes me to wonder whether this is a corner case that Chrysler engineers missed -- when fuel refreshing mode is due, the car will start the gas engine instead of using the battery, however, since the oil change is required/oil life is 0%, the gas engine cannot be started, therefore the car cannot be started. This sounds like a bug, hope the engineers will fix it in the next software update. The lesson I learned is to do the oil change before the oil life becomes 0%!

Bin
Hi Bin,

We regret to hear of your concerns! If you are unable to recieve more feedback from here, please feel free to send us a private message as we would be glad to see how we can assist further from our end.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
470 Posts
It makes you wonder why the oil life indicator is even there when the manual tells you that you must go no longer than 10,000 miles between oil changes. I changed my oil at 10k and it still had more than 50% on the oil life indicator and coming up now on 20,000 miles will probably be the same case.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That’s why I’d say if you do a lot of electric percentage then just change the synthetic oil and use a mopar oem filter one a year

1 - 15 of 15 Posts