2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think the rental car had 18" wheels, but I'm not positive though (picture on post #10).
As I understand the 8 seater comes with 20" wheels which are not Michelin premiers..correct? Is there any other option there because I would like the 8 seater.
Those look like the upgraded wheels. So it should be the 18" and not the 17" standard wheels.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
My wife is still stuck on the flexibllity of sliding seats (forward and side) and overhead screen and sees it as a big differentiating factor. We are keeping it slow for now. Will do our next set of tests when she feels ready. BTW I read somewhere that they have stopped producing the 2017 Pacifica and it cannot be made to order now?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm not sure but you might be able to get an 8 passenger Limited without the seat back theater option and get the overhead DVD system .....
Also, it is likely you'll get a better deal on the Pacifica than on the Odyssey. You can see posts in the dealers and purchasing forum about $10K off MSRP.
I checked out the overhead DVD system but as you said it is not connected to anywhere. You simply have to put DVD directly into the player. I don't prefer that (I'd like to have some control at least
). Also it doesn't show up as an option in the limited version.
I saw one Pacifica with almost 10K off from a dealer about four hours away. It has everything I want plus trailer tow package. I don't have a need to tow anything. Can that be removed as a package?

·
Registered
168 Posts
1) Seats are not as comfy as the Odyssey, they are thinner, (but the second time I tested them they seemed fine).
I assume you mean the front seats. My first impression of the Pacifica seats was that they were firm. The Sienna and Sedona seemed better. But now that I've done a 4 hour drive in the Pacifica, I have no concerns about firmness. I didn't hear a single complaint about butt burn from my wife, which hasn't been the case with any of our previous vehicles.

2) If there are two child seats in the rear, third passenger cannot sit there (since one of the car seat anchors is located more central than at side). It is a problem for me since I routinely will have seven passengers (kids ages 5,2, and newborn)
You can put two car seats plus an adult in the 3rd row, the easiest way is to put the two car seats in 3D and 3P and the adult in the middle. I think you could also put one in 3C and one in 3P and have room for an adult in 3D, but it looks like installation will be harder and I haven't tried it. The Odyssey offers the possibility of putting 3 car seats across in the 3rd row, but you'll need the narrowest seats you can find and I suspect installing them all will be a challenge. If you're only carrying seven passengers, it will be easier to go three across in the 2nd row.

3) Seatback video monitors only on the second row is a set up for frustration and drama in the car. I understand that a kid in third row can watch the opposite side screen, but he/she would not tolerate the other kid having the ability to operate the touch screen ...>:). Simply put I prefer the ceiling mounted video screen.
You won't have to worry about touch screens for a while because it's hard for kids to reach the touch screens when they're buckled into a 5-point harness. Well, maybe with their feet :surprise:
Viewability from the 3rd row is definitely a plus for the ceiling mounted screen. However, one screen can only display one thing, so I think you're just as likely to face drama over finding something that all three kids want to watch. We definitely liked the fact that the two screens in the Pacifica could be completely independent, or linked. If you end up getting the Pacifica, you might find that by the time your newborn is forward facing, your oldest will be happier with a tablet.

4) cabin watch is nice option to keep an eye on our newborn.
Yeah, I would have liked to have this for monitoring rear facing seats. I've seen some people strap mirrors to the seat back for this, but that seems unsafe to me. In a hard front collision that mirror could break loose and turn into a projectile heading right for your kid's face.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
1) Seats are not as comfy as the Odyssey, they are thinner, (but the second time I tested them they seemed fine).
I assume you mean the front seats. My first impression of the Pacifica seats was that they were firm. The Sienna and Sedona seemed better. But now that I've done a 4 hour drive in the Pacifica, I have no concerns about firmness. I didn't hear a single complaint about butt burn from my wife, which hasn't been the case with any of our previous vehicles.

2) If there are two child seats in the rear, third passenger cannot sit there (since one of the car seat anchors is located more central than at side). It is a problem for me since I routinely will have seven passengers (kids ages 5,2, and newborn)
You can put two car seats plus an adult in the 3rd row, the easiest way is to put the two car seats in 3D and 3P and the adult in the middle. I think you could also put one in 3C and one in 3P and have room for an adult in 3D, but it looks like installation will be harder and I haven't tried it. The Odyssey offers the possibility of putting 3 car seats across in the 3rd row, but you'll need the narrowest seats you can find and I suspect installing them all will be a challenge. If you're only carrying seven passengers, it will be easier to go three across in the 2nd row.

3) Seatback video monitors only on the second row is a set up for frustration and drama in the car. I understand that a kid in third row can watch the opposite side screen, but he/she would not tolerate the other kid having the ability to operate the touch screen ...
. Simply put I prefer the ceiling mounted video screen.
You won't have to worry about touch screens for a while because it's hard for kids to reach the touch screens when they're buckled into a 5-point harness. Well, maybe with their feet

Viewability from the 3rd row is definitely a plus for the ceiling mounted screen. However, one screen can only display one thing, so I think you're just as likely to face drama over finding something that all three kids want to watch. We definitely liked the fact that the two screens in the Pacifica could be completely independent, or linked. If you end up getting the Pacifica, you might find that by the time your newborn is forward facing, your oldest will be happier with a tablet.

4) cabin watch is nice option to keep an eye on our newborn.
Yeah, I would have liked to have this for monitoring rear facing seats. I've seen some people strap mirrors to the seat back for this, but that seems unsafe to me. In a hard front collision that mirror could break loose and turn into a projectile heading right for your kid's face.
Thanks for your insights. They are definitely helpful. As I mentioned before, I rented a Pacifica for a weekend and did a long drive 5+ hours one way and didn't feel any problems with seating comfort. That's not a huge issue now.
You've got me thinking about the dual video screens now. I realize that kids can't operate the touch screen while strapped and two are better than one.
I've been using mirrors on my back seat for the last five years. You've got me thinking hard about that safety aspect too ..... hmmm...
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bond, don't just stop with the safety concern of the mirror to see your rear facing car seat (mirror is strapped to head rest area) but also keep in mind ANY loose items in the rear cargo area that can become projectile. Not just the mirror. Items placed in the cargo area are almost never secured and will be much more likely to be projectiles vs the strapped on mirror.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Decision made...!!!

Hey Bond, I agree it would have been nice to be able to slide the 2nd row seats a bit, but have you considered the difference in feet room? What I mean is, how much space there is for feet. With the Pacifica's 2nd row outboard seats, there is nothing underneath towards the rear of the seats, so there's plenty of space to extend your feet. I would think that the sliding track on the Odyssey would take up that foot space, but I have yet to actually see a 2018 Ody to actually check it. If your 3rd row passenger's knees have enough space in both vehicles, wouldn't they have more feet space in the Pac?
Okay ...So today wifey tells me she wants to check out the Odyssey. Off we went to a dealer who had the new green color in Touring model. It was more grayish than green. The seats and interior in general felt more durable and comfortable. The dash was rubbery but the instrument console felt trendy. We liked the beige color since it was a little darker than we thought. The Mocha interior was too dark gray. We both test drove and it felt okay. Not much noise, transmission was smooth. Wifey was having some trouble getting the perfect seating position (she's vertically challenged...). My 5 year old was gleaming and liking the Honda for the video screen.
My interest was in the 2nd and 3rd row this time. The legs space in 3rd row was enough. I checked out the foot space as well, the sliding mechanism doesn't intrude anywhere there. It's only present at the side edges of seats and therefore doesn't compromise the foot space. As you all know, the magic seats work only in 7 seat configuration. With 8 seats in place, you cannot get into the 3rd row without folding the second row seat. The forward motion of seat alone is not sufficient to generate enough space behind to squeeze through. Pacifica's easy tilt seat wins here. I brought all of my car seats and strollers inside and installed it just to be sure that everything fits okay. Two car seats in the sides and third adult can just about sit in the middle (in third row).
The cargo area was large. Can place four check in size bags side by side (I brought that one too :D). Overall impressed. I enquired about any willingness to negotiate .... but he said that he was selling all the cars within a week anyway. It was true with our other nearby dealer. They had no Odys left on the lot. I thought that wifey's made up her mind already and the deal was done.
While returning we decided to check out the Pacifica once more (just to be sure).
All the limited versions were sold except a 7 seat version sitting inside the showroom. The salesman brought it out. I let my wife test drive it herself this time (since I'd already done it a few times). Her first words were "This looks definitely premium and upscale...like a Mercedes". My 5 year old discovered the seat back video screen and yelled in excitement. I installed her carseat and she was even more happy.
My wife loved the seat adjustments for driver seat better than the Ody. The drive was very smooth and refined. She loved the park assist and 360 cameras too.
The cargo area was minimally smaller than Odyssey but can still fit four check-in size bags sideways (checked with the same bag here too).
Anyway after everything said and done we liked the Pacifica more than the Odyssey. :x
Together with the potential savings, the amount of kit offered and the premium feel, the balance tilted.
So that's our final decision for now. It's the Pacifica Limited.
I agree that the Odyssey was very very good and had most of the things we wanted (we nearly bought it).... the Pacifica had all those and in addition has the "wow" factor.
Its a bummer that they don't have the right variant for us at present but he will keep us updated on future arrivals. We are also thinking about custom ordering it, but I read somewhere that I cannot order a 2017 model now...???
Nice Bond. It really only need one test drive to see how good the Pac is!
That's very true in this instance with my wife.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I checked out the overhead DVD system but as you said it is not connected to anywhere. You simply have to put DVD directly into the player. I don't prefer that (I'd like to have some control at least
). Also it doesn't show up as an option in the limited version.
I saw one Pacifica with almost 10K off from a dealer about four hours away. It has everything I want plus trailer tow package. I don't have a need to tow anything. Can that be removed as a package?
I didn't try the overhead DVD in my rental but I thought I saw something about it on the Uconnect screen in the front. So there may be controls for it.
The overhead DVD might be a dealer installed option since you can get it as an Mopar accessory.

I did not get the tow package on my car. Now, on these forums I've learned the best option for a bike rack is a hitch mounted one. So it can be useful even without towing.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Congrats Bond. I think Honda is resting on its laurels quite a bit lately. Even as big a fan of Honda as I was, the newer Hondas left me feeling let down. The last Elite I had I kept a bit longer than the previous ones and it was really showing its age. Steering was loose, I had the brake pedal shimmy Hondas are famous for, and a host of rattles. And I hate to admit, the VCM was beginning to rear its ugly head with a vibration off throttle at highway speeds.

In the end, I'm glad Honda tripped and delayed the 2018 Odyssey because it allowed me to look at the Pacifica as an alternative and after research and test drive, I was sold. Looks like you're in the same boat!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I did not get the tow package on my car. Now, on these forums I've learned the best option for a bike rack is a hitch mounted one. So it can be useful even without towing.
I see, that's real useful information you just gave me. I do love biking... Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just did a 800 mile roundtrip from SF to LA. The ride was flawless. ACC cruise control is a game changer. For the first time ever, my legs and body didn't feel sore after the long drive. For the occasional bumper to bumper traffic, it would have driven me crazy to have to engage the brakes and gas pedal as it'd be on the Odyssey. Also, I noticed the brake mitigation alarm went off when cars changed into my lane at high speed with only a few feet of distance in front of me. On my Acura RLX, the system goes off all the time even if the cars were 20 ft in front of me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was set to purchase a '17 Pacifica Touring L-Plus, which was my target, but it lost out to the '18 Odyssey EX-L for several reasons: in back to back test drives the handling and ride were FAR superior (control or lack of bobbing/noise/precision steering) in the Odyssey, you cannot configure 8 passenger seating with a sunroof on the Pacifica, our kids MUCH preferred the Honda's rear seating (they revolted when I suggested I may still consider the Pacifica if Honda was not dealing on the '18 Odyssey), and Android Auto is awesome vs car nav (navigation on phone/android auto much better than Chrysler's - which we used on a trip to FL a few month prior) ...side note, the concern about # of charges is misplaced with LiO batteries, in fact depleting them to a very low battery charge is more problematic to battery life and the number of charges it can accept than the number of cycles (see Popular Mechanics for article). Overall, although I liked the exterior styling of the Pacifica more and really liked the concept of sto-n-go seating the Odyssey was the clear winner for our family. That said I don't believe either is a bad choice and both far exceed all the other competitors (toyota only one close and they need to move off 8yr old platform to compete!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was set to purchase a '17 Pacifica Touring L-Plus, which was my target, but it lost out to the '18 Odyssey EX-L for several reasons: in back to back test drives the handling and ride were FAR superior (control or lack of bobbing/noise/precision steering) in the Odyssey, you cannot configure 8 passenger seating with a sunroof on the Pacifica, our kids MUCH preferred the Honda's rear seating (they revolted when I suggested I may still consider the Pacifica if Honda was not dealing on the '18 Odyssey), and Android Auto is awesome vs car nav (navigation on phone/android auto much better than Chrysler's - which we used on a trip to FL a few month prior) ...side note, the concern about # of charges is misplaced with LiO batteries, in fact depleting them to a very low battery charge is more problematic to battery life and the number of charges it can accept than the number of cycles (see Popular Mechanics for article). Overall, although I liked the exterior styling of the Pacifica more and really liked the concept of sto-n-go seating the Odyssey was the clear winner for our family. That said I don't believe either is a bad choice and both far exceed all the other competitors (toyota only one close and they need to move off 8yr old platform to compete!).

I could not agree with you more! I too test drove both back to back and cannot for the life of me convince myself that the pacifica is anywhere near as good as the ody "on the road". Handling and acceleration are very impressive in the ody. One could even say its fun to drive.
Yet so many say the PAC is better at handling and power..hmm. Odd. I didn't hate the PAC drive just kind of uninspiring after the ody.
I will say this though - the PAC looks WAY way better! Its just gorgeous on the outside, best looking van EVER. Love the ACC and no touch sliding door features best too. But as a driving enthusiast I'm going for ody probably, unless in laws and wifey really convince me otherwise. Now if only I could unsee those ghastly " lightning bolt" patterned side panels on the ody. What were the design team thinking?! Looks like they had a coupe and glued on another piece of extension to make a van...ugh.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I guess it's all individual tastes and preferences as I felt the opposite while test driving them back to back. The Pacifica felt like truly fun, luxurious and small car to drive whereas the Odyssey felt like a big van. The Odyssey has body roll a bit too much while turning (not that I'm crazy about that aspect) but it was enough to make me feel uncomfortable. In addition the general interior ambience was way better in the Pacifica. Perforated leather seats, LED accent lighting, power reclining third row, two RES screens, light colored headliner, etc. the only damper was slightly thinner seats, but kiddos are in car seats anyway and it doesn't matter.
May be Odyssey felt that way because I was comparing it to luxury / premium cars, but the Pacifica was able to blend in seamlessly within my ride / noise expectations. Well, different strokes for different folks. I'm glad there are choices available, otherwise we all will be driving the same car. :D.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've been comparing minivans more lately as I'm considering asking Chrysler to buyback my PacHy via Lemon Law and it just seems every other one is missing something that my PacHy has.

The new Ody looks nicer (the lightning is less apparent and they finally hid the sliding door track) but it doesn't have a 360 camera at any trim level.

The '18 Sienna won't be out until later this year, and only the Limited has the 360 camera and I've read about problems with their remote start.

The Kia, like the Sienna, only gives you all the bells and whistles at the highest trim level, the SX Limited.

For all of those 3, the price for the highest trim is the same as the PacHy without the advantage of a plug-in hybrid engine... so it just doesn't make sense.

I'm hoping Chrysler will swap out to a 2018 Hybrid Limited instead but I doubt they will do that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I could not agree with you more! I too test drove both back to back and cannot for the life of me convince myself that the pacifica is anywhere near as good as the ody "on the road". Handling and acceleration are very impressive in the ody. One could even say its fun to drive.
Yet so many say the PAC is better at handling and power..hmm. Odd. I didn't hate the PAC drive just kind of uninspiring after the ody.
I will say this though - the PAC looks WAY way better! Its just gorgeous on the outside, best looking van EVER. Love the ACC and no touch sliding door features best too. But as a driving enthusiast I'm going for ody probably, unless in laws and wifey really convince me otherwise. Now if only I could unsee those ghastly " lightning bolt" patterned side panels on the ody. What were the design team thinking?! Looks like they had a coupe and glued on another piece of extension to make a van...ugh.
The Odyssey has a new 10-speed Honda transmission which allows it to skip gears while the Pacifica has the ZF 9-speed transmission which has been problematic in other vehicles. Objectively, the Honda has the better transmission and is going to give a better ride.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm hoping Chrysler will swap out to a 2018 Hybrid Limited instead but I doubt they will do that.
Maybe your best option would be to do the buyback and then immediately place an order for a 2018.
I thought about that but would have to time it so I have something to drive in the interim

·
Registered
953 Posts
The Odyssey has a new 10-speed Honda transmission which allows it to skip gears while the Pacifica has the ZF 9-speed transmission which has been problematic in other vehicles. Objectively, the Honda has the better transmission and is going to give a better ride.
Only the top two Odyssey trims have the new 10 speed. All the others (including the most popular EX-L) get that cranky ZF 9 speed.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts