2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I still don't get the criticism of the Pacifica's 9 speed transmission. So far after a little over 1000 miles, it has performed very well. I haven't noticed it hunting for gears, or getting bogged down in too high a gear. It's always responsive, and really keeps the rpm's pretty low when you're cruising at highway speeds up to 85mph, I haven't driven faster up to this point. I also have driven around town in what would be considered city driving, and again, the transmission provides seamless shifts and doesn't keep you out of the power band.

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've driven three 2017 models with the ZF 9HP: Pacifica, Cherokee, and Pilot Elite. No complaints with the transmission in any of them. We have 6k or 7k miles on the Pacifica now and the shifting is pretty seamless. Unless I'm accelerating hard, I usually don't even notice the transmission working. I felt some of the shits a little more in the Pilot, but it wasn't the slightest bit objectionable. I know there were a ton of complaints about the 9HP from early Jeep, Acura, and Land Rover owners in the 2013-2015 time frame, and even after multiple software upgrades some of those owners still aren't happy. But in the vehicles that are currently on the market, I think they have this transmission nicely sorted out.

The Honda 10-speed is a bit of an unknown quantity since it's so new. One worry I had was that the Odysseys from last decade suffered a lot of expensive transmission failures.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Saw a 2018 Odyssey on the road for the first time today and my word is that thing ugly. Looked like they took the last gen, squished the front end so there is less overhand and made it taller. I am not a fan.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I first test drove a Pacifica, the salesman made sure I made a sharp turn at speed without slowing down much to show how well it handles.
It felt flat through the turn and hardly any body roll and I knew why he wanted me to do it. Even my brother in law in the car made a comment on the handling when I did. Drives more like a car than a bulky mini van.
I still go thru turns faster and more stable than any other mini van I drove.
So when people compare handling vs the Odyssey I am little baffled or maybe its more plush when riding through a turn or handling term I guess is more subjective than I thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Limited has the acoustic windshield which I don't believe is on the other trim levels. From what I've red about it, the acoustic glass helps to mitigate road and wind noise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Some eye opening reading on the odyclub forum about build, fit & finish problems on the 2018 Oddy. My Pacifica's build, fit & finish has been really great. I read very few issues with moldings, trim, door gaps, leaks etc. on our forum (except for early build panoramic sunroofs & dash bumps). Majority of Pacifica issues seem to electronics related many of which have TSB fixes. While there have been a handful Pacifica lemons reported by our members, over all, I think the folks at the Windsor plant are outperforming the folks at Honda's Alabama plant.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/81-2018-odyssey/#/topics/303330?page=34

·
Registered
260 Posts
When I first test drove a Pacifica, the salesman made sure I made a sharp turn at speed without slowing down much to show how well it handles.
It felt flat through the turn and hardly any body roll and I knew why he wanted me to do it. Even my brother in law in the car made a comment on the handling when I did. Drives more like a car than a bulky mini van.
I still go thru turns faster and more stable than any other mini van I drove.
So when people compare handling vs the Odyssey I am little baffled or maybe its more plush when riding through a turn or handling term I guess is more subjective than I thought.
Went on a 400+ km trip the other day and one on my golfing buddies said after. How much? This van runs and feels like a Lexus !! I agree.:laugh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought I'd share my opinion in case anyone is interested.

I compared Pacifica and Odyssey primarily on the basis of seat comfort. I have parents and inlaws who are short and I wanted to select a vehicle that would be comfortable for them.

The dealer gave me a hail damaged Pacifica Limited over the weekend to test and make sure I liked it.

Pacifica Limited(Gas): The front seats were excellent, not too soft, not too firm with adequate under thigh support. The napa leather is really good to the touch, but it will absorb color from jeans so you have to be careful with it.

Odyssey (Elite): The front seats were pretty bad. Very little thigh support and very little shoulder support as well. If you had driven 2017 Elite and were expecting similar seats on the 2018, you are likely to be disappointed. The seats were too soft and did not feel comfortable at all.

Pacifica (Gas):The second row seats were a let down. A lot of it is because of StowNGo seating. The cushion is thin and it is quite hard. The other problem is the angle of the seats. When you sit on it, your knees end up higher than your waist and it pushes on your stomach. This makes it quite uncomfortable. Also Pacifica rides a little bit higher, so getting in and out is more difficult than Odyssey.

Odyssey (Elite):The second row seats are the star of the show here. I will not talk about Magic Slide because you either like them or you don't see a need for them. The seats are extremely comfortable. Nice seat position with the lower floor. Your knees are flat with your hips meaning it is likely to be more comfortable on longer drives.

Pacifica (Gas): The third row seats are quite good. The access is pretty good. In fact in eight passenger configuration, Pacifica offers the easiest entry to the third row. In a seven seat config, the odyssey *might* be a little bit easier to get in because one seat can slide inwards. The seat comfort is good, the position is better than in second row and you have enough room to stretch.

Odyssey (Elite): Third row seats are pretty good here too. I think pacifica has a slight edge because of longer under thigh support, but that's marginal.

So that's it specifically on the seat comfort.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought I'd share my opinion in case anyone is interested.

I compared Pacifica and Odyssey primarily on the basis of seat comfort. I have parents and inlaws who are short and I wanted to select a vehicle that would be comfortable for them.

The dealer gave me a hail damaged Pacifica Limited over the weekend to test and make sure I liked it.

Pacifica Limited(Gas): The front seats were excellent, not too soft, not too firm with adequate under thigh support. The napa leather is really good to the touch, but it will absorb color from jeans so you have to be careful with it.

Odyssey (Elite): The front seats were pretty bad. Very little thigh support and very little shoulder support as well. If you had driven 2017 Elite and were expecting similar seats on the 2018, you are likely to be disappointed. The seats were too soft and did not feel comfortable at all.

Pacifica (Gas):The second row seats were a let down. A lot of it is because of StowNGo seating. The cushion is thin and it is quite hard. The other problem is the angle of the seats. When you sit on it, your knees end up higher than your waist and it pushes on your stomach. This makes it quite uncomfortable. Also Pacifica rides a little bit higher, so getting in and out is more difficult than Odyssey. The lack of sliding seats also exacerbates this problem a lot.

Odyssey (Elite):The second row seats are the star of the show here. I will not talk about Magic Slide because you either like them or you don't see a need for them. The seats are extremely comfortable. Nice seat position with the lower floor. Your knees are flat with your hips meaning it is likely to be more comfortable on longer drives.

Pacifica (Gas): The third row seats are quite good. The access is pretty good. In fact in eight passenger configuration, Pacifica offers the easiest entry to the third row. In a seven seat config, the odyssey *might* be a little bit easier to get in because one seat can slide inwards. The seat comfort is good, the position is better than in second row and you have enough room to stretch.

Odyssey (Elite): Third row seats are pretty good here too. Once you get in, they are pretty close. I think pacifica has a slight edge because of longer under thigh support, but that's marginal. However, the access to the third seat is easier in Pacifica than in Odyssey

So that's it specifically on the seat comfort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i'm torn between the two vehicles. I've test drove both and researched both to nauseam. I have always been a honda loyalist, but if I put reliability aside I would take the Pacifica in a heartbeat. My heart says Pacifica, my brain says 2018 Odyssey.

What's particular concerning are the 12 pages worth of complaints for the pacifica on arfc. org

I can't post links because I don't have enough posts but there are more than 12 pages of complaints

Where as the the 2018 and 2017 Odyssey's don't fill out a page combined.

If anyone can help enlighten me to make my decision easier or point at a flaw in my thought process please do.

Thank you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So i'm torn between the two vehicles. I've test drove both and researched both to nauseam. I have always been a honda loyalist, but if I put reliability aside I would take the Pacifica in a heartbeat. My heart says Pacifica, my brain says 2018 Odyssey.

What's particular concerning are the 12 pages worth of complaints for the pacifica on arfc. org

I can't post links because I don't have enough posts but there are more than 12 pages of complaints

If anyone can help enlighten me to make my decision easier or point at a flaw in my thought process please do.

Thank you.
In 2012 I bought a brand new Honda Civic. It was a completely redesigned car, just like the new Odyssey. It was a nightmare. It lived in the shop. The AC compressor died at less than 2k miles when we were on a 4k mile summer road trip. Honda didn't have any AC parts available for it yet, so we had to live without AC for weeks (and the whole trip). Everyone we talked to at Honda was an evasive jerk. The transmission had problems and was it was in the shop repeatedly for it. The steering wheel buttons failed, so they replaced the wheel...but put it on about 1/3rd rotation off, so I had to take it back giving up hours of my life. The litany of sorrows could go on, but I'll shorten this and say: Honda may have a good reputation, but that newly-redesigned car was a complete lemon. Honda even published a public apology for that model https://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/02/honda-ceo-takes-responsibility-for-poor-reception-of-redesigned/.

So, Honda has blown it too, and probably will again at some point--maybe even with the 2018 Odyssey. And I can attest that their customer service is easily as bad as the stories you've read about Chrysler on this blog--maybe even worse.

My advice: buy what you like. If the car sucks, it's not your fault; you didn't design it, and you didn't know it would be a hunk-o-junk. In the modern era, you just can't rely on company reputations. Also, I come from a family that loves to sit around and complain about things. It's how we pass the time. Winding up with a that lemony 2012 Civic gave me countless hours of griping. ;-)

·
Registered
150 Posts

Thank you.
I'd say go with what you want in a way. Honda has had major issues in the past as well. They had ring failures in the 12-13's. They have transmission problems as well as their brake pads wear down very quickly. I think just choose which you think is right for you. I chose a Pacifica Hybrid Limited because I believe its super safe. Reading through those posts btw there are a lot of duplicates but also it seems there is a commonality in them. Either a transmission or perhaps maybe ecu/fuel pump issue causing the car to stall. Guessing ECU more than fuel pump. The fact that the government hasn't issued a recall either kind of makes me wonder how bad it really is though the Gov is pretty slow. If you think you may have problems there is always the lifetime warranty as well.

Also know you didn't mention a Toyota. But those guys have issues to. Dad bought a corolla and camry at the same time. Corolla burned a qt of oil every 400 miles(toyota refused to acknowledge it was a problem and said it was "normal") Camry's engine was bad and caused oil to jell. Two weeks after buying it they got a recall letter about it but toyota didn't actually fix the issue.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

Thank you.
You sound exactly like me. I had this same dilemma after being a lifelong Honda/Acura fanboy. I never had a minivan before and I waited in so much anticipation for this new odyssey. After test driving it felt okay but I was not blown over. I could have been happy with it had I already bought it. But after doing several back to back test drives between these two cars (doing it myself alone and later on with wife) it became clear that at least the Pacifica has better luxury feel and features to blow us over.
I still feel that Honda has a better engine (and possibly transmission) which may last longer without trouble, but engine and tranny is only one part of the car. If I look at the overall package and what car I'd be happy in now, the decision drifted to Pacifica. This is the first ever American car I'll be buying, so yes I'm a bit nervous about leaving the so called "Honda safety net" (in my mind), but the overall design and quality of this car and the customer support I'm seeing here, combined with some the inadequacies of the Odyssey made the decision easier for me.
I was in the same "brain says Odyssey, heart says Pacifica' conundrum. As the poster above said, both are good cars and therefore buy what you like. The difference between them is so little. Of course each person/ family may prefer one over the other for different reasons, nothing wrong with that. It's your money after all.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Thank you.
I was looking at the odyssey. The things that turned me off:
-Magicslide is useless in my opinion, but I want 8 passenger seating
-Odyssey you have to lug out 70lb seats. They are heavy. After you lug them out you're still left with the magic slide carriers sticking out of the floor.
-The cupholders are weird, oversized stuff might be an issue
-The center console was one big bin. black hole junk heap.

I went over to the Honda Odysssey forums and there are tons of complaints that there are quality issues with doors not lining up, rattles, etc. Also, the new entertainment system is a piece of garbage I guess. Constant reboots, etc.

So I'll likely order a 2018 Pacifica Touring L+ at the end of Sept with Towing, 8th seat, and Advanced SafetyTec packages ($40.3k invoice). Order late Sept and shoot for delivery around Thanksgiving (figure there will be some incentive rebates around then -- there were with the 2017 models in Nov 2016).

The gas mileage is the same, but the Odyssey probably gets slightly better real-world city gas mileage due to it having cylinder deactivation (meaning, when you lightly use the gas pedal the V6 runs as a 3-cylinder engine). The Chrysler Pentastar supports this feature, but I assume someone has a patent on it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Like I have always said, regardless of which manufacturer you go with there is always bound to be cars with problems and owners who hate that brand. Only thing I wish was they had is a SRT version of the Pacifica. Doesn't have to be a Hellcat.. Just a SRT...LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like I have always said, regardless of which manufacturer you go with there is always bound to be cars with problems and owners who hate that brand. Only thing I wish was they had is a SRT version of the Pacifica. Doesn't have to be a Hellcat.. Just a SRT...LOL
A 350-450hp Pacifica with AWD would be awesome. I agree that the Hellcat is not necessary, but I'd be thrilled with the aforementioned 350-450HP performance minivan with all wheel drive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I never originally considered a Pacifica. Just defaulted to Honda based on reputation and the types of cars we have owned before. We looked at the 2018 Odyssey, liked it enough, and were actually in the process of buying one, when the dealer sold it to someone else. There were no other Odysseys available in the color combo we wanted, so we decided to look at the Pacifica. The finish is definitely a higher quality in the Pacifica, and the stow & go is so much more useful and versatile than magic slide. Magic slide sounds good at first, but then you realize you have to take the 8th seat out to use it. I'm not going to lug the 8th seat in and out of the van except for long road trips so essentially have a 7 passenger van. Plus, we can get a $43k Touring L Plus for about the price of the Odyssey EX-L without RES.

I also read all the complaints on the Odyssey forums, and could definitely tell the AC was inferior in the Odyssey vs Pacifica. So, all that said, I feel like we are taking a bit of a gamble with the Pacifica vs Odyssey from a reliability perspective, but we ordered a 2018 Touring L Plus last month and it should be delivered in the next week or two.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I never originally considered a Pacifica. Just defaulted to Honda based on reputation and the types of cars we have owned before. We looked at the 2018 Odyssey, liked it enough, and were actually in the process of buying one, when the dealer sold it to someone else. There were no other Odysseys available in the color combo we wanted, so we decided to look at the Pacifica. The finish is definitely a higher quality in the Pacifica, and the stow & go is so much more useful and versatile than magic slide. Magic slide sounds good at first, but then you realize you have to take the 8th seat out to use it. I'm not going to lug the 8th seat in and out of the van except for long road trips so essentially have a 7 passenger van. Plus, we can get a $43k Touring L Plus for about the price of the Odyssey EX-L without RES.

I also read all the complaints on the Odyssey forums, and could definitely tell the AC was inferior in the Odyssey vs Pacifica. So, all that said, I feel like we are taking a bit of a gamble with the Pacifica vs Odyssey from a reliability perspective, but we ordered a 2018 Touring L Plus last month and it should be delivered in the next week or two.
Perfectly said. Now if I were to use the 8 seater in the 7 seat configuration, I would stow one of the side seats and keep the center seat in position. In this way the space and ease of entry will be as good as (if not better) than the Odyssey with the 8th seat removed.
One other thing I found was that if you keep the roof mounted video screen deployed, it obscures the rear view partially and that's not a problem with the two seatback screens in Pacifica.
Also in the Odyssey when you slide the seats to the center position as intended, the head rest obscures the rear view mirror as well.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts