2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a nice comparison of the Pac vs Ody. Spoiler alert: They pick the Pacifica! For all the reason we love the Pacifica.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It is about time someone actually reviewed the vehicles in as close to the same exterior color as possible. Give the viewer a good ability to check out the lines of the van whithout being swayed by color.

A couple of the reviewers points weren’t accurate but nice review overall.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Having watched quite a number of reviews of these two vehicles, I found this review one the best if not the best. Having owned two Odyssey minivans prior to our Pacifica, I cannot argue with any of the observations and findings. The review of course doesn't cover life-cycle cost as it relates to overall reliability which will only be visible in hindsight.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Doug DeMuro: 2018 Ody Elite the BEST

I painfully watched all 25 mins of Doug DeMuro's review (posted yesterday) of the 2018 Odyssey Elite. Ok so I skipped portions here and there but I watched most of it. He has over 1.3 million subscribers on YouTube.

I kept thinking: has he even sat in a loaded Pacifica? :| Wow, 19" wheels! LOL

·
Registered
348 Posts
I painfully watched all 25 mins of Doug DeMuro's review (posted yesterday) of the 2018 Odyssey Elite. Ok so I skipped portions here and there but I watched most of it. He has over 1.3 million subscribers on YouTube.

I kept thinking: has he even sat in a loaded Pacifica? :| Wow, 19" wheels! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOZ_Q6qzXuw
I watched this as well, been trying to get him come and review our 2018 limited hybrid. :)

led headlights ,inside Camera, voice thing was cool. Rest of it seemed out dated...even the switches and key fob seemed out dated.

·
Registered
293 Posts
2018 Odyssey Elite is nice, but I must agree, compared to a loaded Pacifica Limited it still doesn’t stack up. Most comparison reviews agree with this. Would the Odyssey be the safer bet in overall reliability? A good chance sure, but some of us don’t want the same old. I mean, you still can’t get a pano roof in the Odyssey....it still has those old school incandescent interior lights, literally exactly out of the previous gen Odyssey. Adaptive cruise kicks off at like 25 mph, I mean geez that was like first gen acc from 2011 did that lol. Even though I like that they went with a digital gauge cluster in the Odyssey, overall I do not like it. Kind of cartoonish looking and very limited info compared to the pages and pages of useful info in the Pacifica’s. I like the new Odyssey, but the Pacifica just has more to offer hands down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Odyssey uses the Pacifica Transmission. Also a fun fact, that transmission was first used in a Jeep Cherokee and was the first 9 speed transmission in a mass produced car.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The Odyssey uses the Pacifica Transmission. Also a fun fact, that transmission was first used in a Jeep Cherokee and was the first 9 speed transmission in a mass produced car.
You must be talking about the lower trims of Odyssey. The touring and elite use the 10 speed Honda transmission and it seems like that is going to be available across all trims in near future. Chrysler had enough time to research and fine tune the ZF 9 speed that the shifts are butter smooth now.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You must be talking about the lower trims of Odyssey. The touring and elite use the 10 speed Honda transmission and it seems like that is going to be available across all trims in near future. Chrysler had enough time to research and fine tune the ZF 9 speed that the shifts are butter smooth now.
About that 10 speed. Sure Honda is going to move it to other models, but what's the benefit. The models that use them now don't get any higher mileage!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've owned a 15 Odyssey, now a pacifica hybrid 17. There's no enclosed storage compartment in the center console. There's cup holders and about it. Tried in vain to find a latch to open a box in the middle (like 99% of cars) and there isn't. Why Chrysler, why? Also the behind the seat pocket is small, third row has no storage pocket. Third row on Pacifica is also much smaller than Odyssey. Build quality, and leather quality is much better on the Honda.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've owned a 15 Odyssey, now a pacifica hybrid 17. There's no enclosed storage compartment in the center console. There's cup holders and about it. Tried in vain to find a latch to open a box in the middle (like 99% of cars) and there isn't. Why Chrysler, why? Also the behind the seat pocket is small, third row has no storage pocket. Third row on Pacifica is also much smaller than Odyssey. Build quality, and leather quality is much better on the Honda.
Does your PacHy have the super console? There's quite a bit of enclosed storage in there if you do. Here's an example of one with the rear drawer pulled out. The top roll-door also reveals a smaller more shallow area great for storing charging cords and such.

Link

As for the build quality being better on the honda...that's debatable. I've owned an 06 & 13 Ody's and have to say that on these latter generation Odys, the historical build quality that their premium price is supposed to carry just isn't there. On my '13 I had uneaven & mis-aligned panels, continually warping brake rotors, and a VCM system I had to buy a muzzler to override. Just read the Ody forums on this latest generation and there are lots of reports about the same mis-aligned panels and trim, doors not sitting flush, etc. Since they moved to building these down south the overall quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore but the price premium remains.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting, our Central console is different than the one pictured. It does not have any drawer pull outs. Looks like there are several variants. Maybe I can buy the one on eBay and replace it myself.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Interesting, our Central console is different than the one pictured. It does not have any drawer pull outs. Looks like there are several variants. Maybe I can buy the one on eBay and replace it myself.
Your build sheet should tell you which console you have.

https://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=<Replace text and brackets with your VIN>

On mine it is apparently called a 'Super Console'. Looks like the pictured one above.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Other reasons for avoiding Odyssey

As for the build quality being better on the honda...that's debatable. I've owned an 06 & 13 Ody's and have to say that on these latter generation Odys, the historical build quality that their premium price is supposed to carry just isn't there. On my '13 I had uneaven & mis-aligned panels, continually warping brake rotors, and a VCM system I had to buy a muzzler to override. Just read the Ody forums on this latest generation and there are lots of reports about the same mis-aligned panels and trim, doors not sitting flush, etc. Since they moved to building these down south the overall quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore but the price premium remains.
The Oddity has some problems and costs that you won't see with the Pacifica. The VCM system Hawkfan mentioned somehow causes broken engine mounts; very expensive to repair. Hawkfan is also right about the # of complaints about misaligned panels and Honda appears to suffer more with premature brake problems such as warping rotors. One killer cost that is seldom mentioned is the necessity to replace the timing belt at 100k, at a cost of about $1000. I wonder if the frequently referenced Consumer Reports frequency of repair records include cars that are driven a long time or if they mostly cover recent models that haven't reached the mileage required for some problems to show up. There's an awful lot of old MoPars out there that have a zillion miles and the owners seem to go back for more. Must be a reason; maybe they aren't as troublesome as some would have us believe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts